Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #11
babydoll101
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning from formula to whole milk? HELP!

I think everyone here has the right idea. I was always told by our doctors to introduce milk in a sippy or regular cup at around 12 months. Never a bottle. Good luck, I think you'll do great.

Advertisement

babydoll101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
jausten
Registered Users
seller

Emma was exclusively FF from about 6 weeks, so she didn't have any issues with the cow's milk since she was on cow's milk based formula. But we just did it gradually. She gets 100% whole milk in her sippy during meals and snacks, but she still takes a couple of bottles a day, and those are always formula.
expecting #2 sept 2010
jausten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianethansmom View Post
You should not continue to give infant formula to a baby that's over 1 years old. There's not enough nutrition in the infant formula.
Not true. Formula has more calories per ounce than whole milk does, and includes vitamins and minerals that whole milk certainly does not. Whole milk does have more protein and carbs per ounce than formula. But at that age they should be getting a decent amount of protein and carbs from actual food anyway.

I think of formula for an older child as a substitute for vitamin pills. If you think their diet isn't great, and you can't get them to eat more/different foods, then feed formula instead of milk and they will be getting all the good vitamins their bodies need. If their diet is great there probably is no need to do formula instead of whole milk.

My two cents.

DD is still too young to switch. My plan is to start offering whole milk in a cup after she turns one year though. If she drinks it, great, if not she will continue to get formula until she gets used to the milk.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
heatherl777
Registered Users
seller

I got pregnant with dd when ds was only 9 months old. By the time he was 11 months he was refusing to nurse, and more or less quite cold turkey 3 days later. I didn't know what to do (my doctor was awful besides!) so I called some other friends and decided to put ds on organic whole milk. He had never had a bottle and did not want to drink from a sippy cup. I had to hold a small glass up to his mouth and let him actually drink from that, but with in 2 days he was drinking from the sippy cup and we had no problems. He had loose bowl movements for a few days, but then he adjusted. He's been very healthy overall. Good luck to you!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #15
uoducks
Registered Users

You might want to talk to your Pediatrician for specific ideas for your child but we had no troubles. Breastmilk/formula up to 1 year old , then cows milk (whole milk).

At 1 year, I think their digestive systems are better able to tolerate milk changes so I would just offer milk in a cup at mealtime instead of formula.

I also discovered after talking to our Pediatrician that "whole milk" is the milk with 150-160calories (look under nutrition label on carton). The 150-160calorie milks I found on the grocery store shelves are the: 3.8%, 3.25%, and the Homoginized Vitamin D milk.

I've been buying the "hormone free" milk , although I am told most of the dairies here are hormone free anyway.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is he a year old today? Today is my dh's b-day!! Happy 1st B-day Abram and happy birthing day, Michelle!!!

DD1 was ff and right when she turned one I stopped giving her formula and gave her whole milk in a cup. She wasn't too big on the bottle anyhow and loved to eat. I knew she was getting a lot of nutrition in what she ate and she had been drinking out of a cup since she was 8 months old. She did fine with the whole milk.

DD2 was bf and ate pretty decent. I started giving her a cup of whole mik just after she turned one, but I was also still nursing about 4 times a day. She did fine drinking the whole milk, but if I gave her a cup of EBM she CHUGGED it!!

How are along are you? Most women don't start drying up until 16-20 weeks. So he is still probably getting quite a bit of nutrition/nutrients from your milk.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #17
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

Yes, my baby is a year old today.

He's still on formula as of right now. He nurses maybe once a day. He's really not into it any more. He seems more interested in playing with my b00bs instead of drinking from them. Boys!!! I'm 9 weeks along, and I know I still have somewhat of a supply. He just doesn't seem interested in nursing anymore. He's too busy! . Anywho, I haven't given him whole milk yet, I think I will try to give it to him in a sippy cup and see how he does with it. Hopefully he won't have a bad reaction to it.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

dd is formula fed and is a year old and doesn't really like the taste of milk yet, we've been offering it to her at meals, but she wont drink a lot of it, for one thing she doesn't even like cold formula lol, so the coldness factor is one thing.
I plan on easing her into milk like another mama said, adding an oz or two milk to the formula until there is no more formula left.

Good Luck, this is the only child so far that has given me any problems with the transition so I feel for you.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #19
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis&AbramsMom View Post
Yes, my baby is a year old today.

He's still on formula as of right now. He nurses maybe once a day. He's really not into it any more. He seems more interested in playing with my b00bs instead of drinking from them. Boys!!! I'm 9 weeks along, and I know I still have somewhat of a supply. He just doesn't seem interested in nursing anymore. He's too busy! . Anywho, I haven't given him whole milk yet, I think I will try to give it to him in a sippy cup and see how he does with it. Hopefully he won't have a bad reaction to it.
Yep, that makes sense, LOL! I am not sure, but if you have been drinking milk I don't think he will have a reaction to it. Since he was exposed to it when nursing.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #20
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

Ok, so about 3 hours ago, I gave DS whole milk for the first time. Well he just woke up now from his nap and it seems that he has diarrhea. Could it be because of the milk or would it be something else. It was really bad!!!