Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
What is this regression thing?????

Okay, I think my DS may be going through a phase.

He is a year and half old. And within the last week he has started getting very irritated over every little thing. Also he is starting to spit back out his drink everytime he drinks from his sippy cups.

He used to do this when he didn't know how to use them. It's been months though and now he just wants to "play" by spitting it out.

Now I have been doing some reading and researching on how to handle all this AP style since I'm getting very frustrated and I'm short on patience anyway...something about being 8 months pregnant, exhausted and hormonal has made me not the model parent.

Anyway, my readings say that this can mean a big brain/neurological development stage. And I have noticed that he's has been learning some new things in the last 2 weeks.

So it's kind of like "extra" energy trying to come out.

BUT...I'm just not sure what to do.
Has anyone else's little one done this? I have to literally watch him while he drinks and then as soon as he starts spitting it out I take the sippy away and say "We drink our [milk, water, juice]." And he gets really mad and throws a fit [not kicking or anything, just crying]. So I ignore this until he calms down and reiterate that we "drink" from our sippy.

But nothing is helping....this crying over little thing is new to me because he did not ever do this before.

I'm just lost...

Any insight mamas??
Thanks!

Advertisement

http://thebewitchinglyordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is this regression thing?????

yeah, my boys did the let the water dribble back out thing for a while too. it passed on its own. annoying as heck. i wouldn't give him anything other than water in his cup while he's doing it though. if you feel he must have milk or whatever, try giving it to him at the table in a glass. a shot glass is a good size for learning, plus the added weight at the bottom is good for balance. i ended up getting some juice glasses from goodwill that my boys use at the table now, but the shot glasses were great "training" cups. the novelty of it would probably make him forget how fun it is to let the milk come back out.

don't know what to say about the sensitivity. could he be reacting to something going on in his environment? i know my boys get extra fragile and sensitive when *i'm* feeling particularly frustrated. i am short with them and they are in turn falling apart at every little thing. which makes me angry and even less patient. talk about a viscous circle!!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
yeah, my boys did the let the water dribble back out thing for a while too. it passed on its own. annoying as heck. i wouldn't give him anything other than water in his cup while he's doing it though. if you feel he must have milk or whatever, try giving it to him at the table in a glass. a shot glass is a good size for learning, plus the added weight at the bottom is good for balance. i ended up getting some juice glasses from goodwill that my boys use at the table now, but the shot glasses were great "training" cups. the novelty of it would probably make him forget how fun it is to let the milk come back out.

don't know what to say about the sensitivity. could he be reacting to something going on in his environment? i know my boys get extra fragile and sensitive when *i'm* feeling particularly frustrated. i am short with them and they are in turn falling apart at every little thing. which makes me angry and even less patient. talk about a viscous circle!!
Great idea about the shot glasses!! I'll give that a go!! I'll be glad when this passes. But yeah, it is annoying! LOL...

I think you've hit the nail on the head for me!! I do think he's sensing something is up with the new baby coming in 4 weeks. Although he's only a 1 1/2 years old he may not fully understand but he does see my belly growing and I talk to him about it...I think his baby intuition is really tuned in though. He and I have always had this bond it seems, like when he's sick I "feel it" and vice versa if that makes any kind of corny sense...

So I do bet he's feeling my apprehension about getting ready to have 2 LO's and how I'll balance everything and my lack of patience, high level of hormones and nervousness.

I'll have try really hard now to keep everything in check.

Thanks mama!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
life.sew.simple
Registered Users
Formerly: *home*mademama
seller

Yeah, no advice but just wanted to let you know I am having a heck of a time with my 18 monther too! Although it seems he has always been a bit different, a bit more tempermental then the other 2. I am getting a bit annoyed with the advice from friends and family as they think he is spoiled being the baby so long awaited for. They think I am not letting him cry enough....Oh my I wish they could be here for these temper tantrums and crying fits. It's funny because we all know what is going on here and we just kind of smile at each other (my husband and I and the 2 older kids). I am truly going insane some days though. It is so tough. I feel horrible about it all. I am trying to see it from his view, he has always been very sensitive to me and my moods.

Hang in there, hopefully this will fade out soon Momma!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Great idea about the shot glasses!! I'll give that a go!! I'll be glad when this passes. But yeah, it is annoying! LOL...

I think you've hit the nail on the head for me!! I do think he's sensing something is up with the new baby coming in 4 weeks. Although he's only a 1 1/2 years old he may not fully understand but he does see my belly growing and I talk to him about it...I think his baby intuition is really tuned in though. He and I have always had this bond it seems, like when he's sick I "feel it" and vice versa if that makes any kind of corny sense...

So I do bet he's feeling my apprehension about getting ready to have 2 LO's and how I'll balance everything and my lack of patience, high level of hormones and nervousness.

I'll have try really hard now to keep everything in check.

Thanks mama!
i totally know what you mean about being able to "feel" when things are off. is your son "spirited"? micah is for sure, and after reading raising your spirited child i realized i too was/am spirited. one of the things is being sensitive, like being able to sense when others' moods change. that's not the whole of it, obviously, but when you mentioned being able to feel when he gets sick, it reminded me of that.

and i think you have figured something out for me too. i have been really struggling with this pg. it was unplanned, and i am really *really* nervous about how we are going to manage. i have a hard enough time with the 2 i already have, i jsut don't know how im going to make it with 3. and im sure micah is picking up on that. so thanks! for helping me out!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *home*mademama View Post
Yeah, no advice but just wanted to let you know I am having a heck of a time with my 18 monther too! Although it seems he has always been a bit different, a bit more tempermental then the other 2. I am getting a bit annoyed with the advice from friends and family as they think he is spoiled being the baby so long awaited for. They think I am not letting him cry enough....Oh my I wish they could be here for these temper tantrums and crying fits. It's funny because we all know what is going on here and we just kind of smile at each other (my husband and I and the 2 older kids). I am truly going insane some days though. It is so tough. I feel horrible about it all. I am trying to see it from his view, he has always been very sensitive to me and my moods.

Hang in there, hopefully this will fade out soon Momma!
Thank God I'm not alone!! I get that too, about David being spoiled, even from my own DH...and I can totally tell it's not that....I really really think he knows somewhere in his little spirit that he won't be the baby anymore and he's trying to go back to that for awhile...Even with naps the last two days, if he sleeps 20 minutes then no matter he will not fall back asleep again and just throw a fit until we get up...I sure hope this passes soon or I have the patience to deal with it positively!
Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
i totally know what you mean about being able to "feel" when things are off. is your son "spirited"? micah is for sure, and after reading raising your spirited child i realized i too was/am spirited. one of the things is being sensitive, like being able to sense when others' moods change. that's not the whole of it, obviously, but when you mentioned being able to feel when he gets sick, it reminded me of that.

and i think you have figured something out for me too. i have been really struggling with this pg. it was unplanned, and i am really *really* nervous about how we are going to manage. i have a hard enough time with the 2 i already have, i jsut don't know how im going to make it with 3. and im sure micah is picking up on that. so thanks! for helping me out!
God bless you mama!!! I'm amazed and in awe you're doing it with 2!! lol...This baby was planned but all of the sudden, I'm like, did we do the right thing...and then I feel soooo guilty like I'm wishing my baby away and then I'm scared something will happen...

The one thing I do take comfort in is that people have 2,3, or more all the time and they are still alive and well! So I guess if it were so bad you couldn't do it all there would only be 1 child families everywhere!

Yeah, I really do like that bond with DS and being able to know and feel certain things and of course it's not something that is ALL the time, but when there is real distress its like I automatically tune in...it's an amazing thing!