Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Fasting

Does anyone know if fasting is safe while nursing?

Advertisement

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fasting

I am not sure there is a way to completely fast while nursing, ow long do you want to go and can you eat after sun down?

Can you do drinks of any kids?

What kind of fast are you thinking?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't remember exactly where, but I know that the bible makes an exemption on fasting for pregnant and nursing women.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

here is a great link on it

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/fasting.html
Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
I can't remember exactly where, but I know that the bible makes an exemption on fasting for pregnant and nursing women.
Yeppers!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
Does anyone know the verse???

I'm wanting to start doing normal fast days again. I will drink but not eat.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know I've gotten medical and religious exemptions from fasting while nursing this LO. I haven't found the verse, just lots of places that say pregnant and nursing mothers are generally exempt from fast days, along with the ill.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this was on kellymom

Specific guidelines (extra biblical)
Jewish law exempts from fasting anyone whose health might be even a little harmed by it - this would include pregnant and nursing women whose health (or the health of her baby or fetus) might suffer from fasting. There may be ways of eating and drinking small increments that are still compatible with fasting. However, a local competent Orthodox rabbinic authority should be consulted so that the method and amounts of eating and drinking will be done within the correct guidelines.

here is a wonderful link

and they say

http://www.inplainsite.org/html/fasting.html

A physician's note: Make sure you are medically able to fast before attempting it. Some brothers and sisters that I know can only do a one-day partial fast. They drink different types of juice, but take no food or other liquid. God knows and understands their medical condition and does not expect them to harm their "temple" (1 Corinthians 6:19) in order to be spiritual. There are no rigid standards about fasting in the Bible that say you must do this or that.

There is only one fast command in the Bible and that was the fast on the Day of Atonement. This fast was from sunset of one day to sunset of the next (Leviticus 16:29;23:32).

All that to say I think fasting would be fine while breastfeeding if you still drink water, and only do it for one day. If your baby is growing fine and your supply is normal it shouldn't hurt either of you BUT I am not a Dr. so if you want to begin practicing fasting you should consult your physician if you have any questions.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Still wondering if anyone knows the scripture?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know the scripture but one thing I would say is that if you fast you might run the risk of decreasing your supply. Nursing women need something like 700 extra calories a day, and as many as possible should be before 10am to get the best supply that day.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote