Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Gentian Violet.. how often should I be applying it?/ Updaet-- more help??

DS had a long battle with thrush-- Nystatin and Difulcan did nothing and it seemed like he was forever a purple people eatter....

Noticed the start of white patches yesterday and hit it right away with GV-- washing her mouth out after each feed (she nurses in the AM when I've got a small supply--- relcatating was a flop-- she's bottle fed during the day) with water, her bottles are boiled after each use, same with binkies....

Should I do it after each time she eats? More often? Less?

----

So we went to the doctor this morning because it was getting worse and have a RX for diflucan.

Her binky gets boiled after each use-- and I actually tossed the rest/got new ones. Same with bottle nipples. Each use, washed and boiled....

Her toys that get in her mouth are clean immediately...

How long should the diflucan take-- should I keep using GV? Anything to make her more comfortable?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by MamaMegan; 09-21-2006 at 09:49 AM.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Doodlebug
Registered Users

Re: Gentian Violet.. how often should I be applying it?

Ugh, thrush. I'm so sorry you're going through that.

We had a few episodes with thrush when DD was super little, because I was on antibiotics. The midwives told us to apply it once a day, and the other times during the day you wipe down your nipples with a mild vinegar solution. You use the thrush for a week; if there's no improvement, stop. If there is improvement, use it for three more days and then stop. The reason you don't over-use is it has a tendency to form sores in some children's mouths.

There's more info on Dr. Jack Newman's website -- just google Dr. Jack Newman and Thrush. Good luck!

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=13927.0
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
ClarebearNkids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PP is right. We were majorly battling it here and are now thrush free. Use it once per day. If used more than that it could burn babies mouth. Here is that website. HTH

THRUSHhttp://www.bflrc.com/newman/handouts/0501-HR_C-Candida_Protocol.htm
Candida Protocol
Old 09-19-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here's an informative site.
Good luck!!

http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/gentviol.htm
Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Re: Gentian Violet.. how often should I be applying it?/ Updaet-- more help??

Old 09-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
ClarebearNkids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just a little bit more advice. Cut out all sugars and refined carbs/starches. Even a tinsey bit can allow yeast to breed. When I first started battling it with Lily, I didn't realize that even a small amout of sugar would damage any headway we made in the battle with the yeastie beasties. Once I stopped with my soda during the day (and it was only one) everything else started working better and more quickly. You may also want to invest in a really good probiotic. Check out your Whole Foods store or Natural Pantry. Dr. Newman gives advice on administering Acidophillus to babies as well. Hope you both feel better soon!!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Ugh.

We're already on virtually no sugars for anyone, and take a pribiotic from our health food store....

She's on a few different meds (for GERD), and now that I'm typing it out.... this came on not long after we started it. Hmmm.

Poor girly is just so sad.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
~Stephanie~
Registered Users

My Mood:

You have been given some good advice here. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. My lactation consultant said that in order for the boiling to be effective, everything must be boiled for at least 20 minutes. She also told me that making a solution of 1 tbs baking soda per 1 cup water and soaking the nipples/bottles/toys overnight will get rid of the yeast on those items.

She also said that the yeast will thrive under the child's fingernails and in the creases in the hands and when they mouth their hands, they can reinfect themselves. So be sure to be cleaning under her fingernails and in between her fingers often during the day.

My son and I struggled with thrush off and on for several months. The gentian violet finally did the trick for us. I used it on both of us once/day for three days and the thrush was finally gone.

Good luck! I hope it is gone soon!
Mommy to Cameron (8) Isabel (6) Parker (4) and Wyatt just turned 1! Expecting baby #5 on October 17th, 2008.
~Stephanie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hi there mama! so sorry you and DD are having a rough go at it!!! I just posted on another thread with a lot of links. they may help you, I hope!!!!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43925