Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

So what can I eat?? Help with allergies!

My DD has reflux. The ped nurse said to give her cereal in her formula (Uh, check her chart, no formula here!!) We are keeping her up at all times, amby hammock on the way. My LC encouraged removing all dairy and caffeine from my diet to see how she does. My DD #2 was sensitivty to milk products until she was probably 16 mths or so. Does fine now.

Well, I'm looking at all the things that babies are more likely to be fussy with, and what is left to eat??? I'm having a hard enough time getting dairy out of my diet-cheese in casseroles, lasagna, etc, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream. I don't drink much milk anyway.

Any help here?

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Parvati
Registered Users

Re: So what can I eat?? Help with allergies!

Can you substitute soy and tofu cheeses in recipes? Can you drink almond, soy or rice milk? Have some popsicles instead of icecream at night.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Amanda Lou
Registered
seller

Do you eat meat? I do. Here are my staples: eggs (only 2 a day because DD is sensitive to them), chicken, salmon, hamburger, apples, bananas..most fruit actually, green beans, berries, oats, brown rice sometimes. It's boring, but it works. good luck!

Oh, I can't eat dairy or wheat. blah.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama
Can you substitute soy and tofu cheeses in recipes? Can you drink almond, soy or rice milk? Have some popsicles instead of icecream at night.
Apparently the sensitivities are to milk protein not lactose Soy and tofu are high sensitivity items too although I don't know with my DD because I hardly ever eat it.

Quote:
Do you eat meat? I do. Here are my staples: eggs (only 2 a day because DD is sensitive to them), chicken, salmon, hamburger, apples, bananas..most fruit actually, green beans, berries, oats, brown rice sometimes. It's boring, but it works. good luck!
I do eat meat, I'm thinking my diet may be meat and veggies and fruit for the next 6 months! I may try adding back a little dairy, butter, maybe a little cheese next week and see what happens.

The Dr Sears book has a big list of fuss foods and there are a lot of veggies on there too! Oh well, we will start with the dairy and go from there.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
MommyMade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am still nursing a milk and egg allergic and soy sensitive 10.5 mo. I must admit that at times it is really hard. My reccomendation would be to go to a health food store and look at all the things there that are safe. I drink rice milk, well at least for my cereal. I avoid all cheeses, dairy like the plague. Otherwise, I will be up with my dd all night long. You must also read the labels of everything if you are cutting it out completely.

It does get easier as you do it more. Like I said, go to a whole foods or other health food store. Rice Cakes are a good choice for sweets, and you can eat fruits and veggies. You can find "butter" that actually has no dairy in it.

A good bulletin board is the food allergy board on babycenter. THe ladies there are great, and will be able to give you a lot of help.

I will add things as I think of more. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me with them. I'll do my best to help you out.

Robyn
MommyMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've just recently cut out dairy, soy, caffinne , and coffee.
It gets easier, but sometimes I am just hungry. I eat lots of fruit and rice and some meat, and eggs...probably too many eggs. I am drinking a lot of calcium fortified juice and taking prenatal vitamins and calcium + D too. It seems like soy and dairy are in everything. Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:04 AM   #7
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh mama! I am so sorry to hear you're going through this too! I am new to the elimination land too! I have received lots of help at the LLL boards with the allergy issues...
if ya wanna try it out for suggestions heres a link....
http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/index.php
scroll down to Breastfeeding and Allergies threads

I have struggled to live w/o dairy!!!!!! DH sometimes laughs that I can't have cheese on this or that and I threaten damage to his manhood!! It is bad sometimes- but I have found quite a few things to satisfy my sweet tooth!... but all the alternative soy and rice things don't work just nasty to me... plus the rice subs I have found (such as cheese) are not dairy free!!- as a matter of fact I think I found out I am sensitive to soy one night when I tried soy icecrem (had a lot!) and had a reaction that night!
in any event there are things... you know it could be worse.. you could have to go all the way down to the BRAT diet... brown rice, turkey, applesauce and - well thats all!!!

popcicles are my saving grace at night -
please feel free to pm me any time if you would like any more info/ or where I got my DF brownies

by the by - walmart brand choc. chips are dairy free

Last edited by moonphishers; 09-20-2006 at 12:06 AM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #8
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you're going to cut out dairy it will take at least 2 weeks to completely flush it out of your system. I would wait at least 4 weeks before reintroducing it.
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Glad to know I am not the only one suffering without ice cream around here It really is amazing how much stuff does have dairy in it!

She is doing better now....I am still waiting for my amby hammock, I hope it gets here soon!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can totally relate. I spend the first week and a half of ds life up with him screaming. Dairy and wheat and soy were his triggers. Wheat seams to be ok now, but dairy is still a no no.

I get some rice dream now and then and rice bread. Oatmeal can be fun and, yup, popsicles.

Hang in there mamas. We'll all have to get a pint of ice cream when this is all over.
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote