Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:12 AM   #21
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Weird dr app't... when are you supposed to start "real food"?

well that doc sounds a little wacko...lol at a year they're usually encouraging you to get them going on table foods...how crazy. My dd was picky and didn't like texture so it took her a long while to get into foods...even now she doesn't eat everything we eat and she's 16 months...she's just picky...If it works for you then great! Oh and my DD didn't have ANY teeth until right before she hit 13 months...she was still perfectly capable of gumming grown up food....sheesh.

and to the pp who's ped said go ahead and do the spices. We started our DD on spices at 8 months...mixing cereal and then spices into her foods was the only way I could get her to eat them until she was almost a year...then she would finally eat foods plain. hehe

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 AM   #22
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ds is on table food and some baby food but he thinks most of it is horrid...now my 4 year old dd was on baby food and only ate that and formula and well she is super super super picky now...but the ones i put on table food (within reason) so far haven't been...the almost 7 year old, 2 year old and my ds will eat anything but most baby food...lol

but my ped asks the same thing...but he's is older and his son is in the same praticing office and is a ped too...our "older daddy doc" says table food rocks within reason and if you watch them...he didnt eat baby food he says. he doesn't like some of it because back in the day there weren't as many pesticides and things like that but his son...well he believes in baby food mostly...
Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #23
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilla_marion View Post
well that doc sounds a little wacko...lol at a year they're usually encouraging you to get them going on table foods...how crazy. My dd was picky and didn't like texture so it took her a long while to get into foods...even now she doesn't eat everything we eat and she's 16 months...she's just picky...If it works for you then great! Oh and my DD didn't have ANY teeth until right before she hit 13 months...she was still perfectly capable of gumming grown up food....sheesh.

and to the pp who's ped said go ahead and do the spices. We started our DD on spices at 8 months...mixing cereal and then spices into her foods was the only way I could get her to eat them until she was almost a year...then she would finally eat foods plain. hehe
I gave ds spices...only way he would eat the baby oatmeal and he wouldn't ever ever touch the rice or mixed cereal.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #24
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm confused. I thought most, if not all, babies were eating table foods by 1 year. Obviously some choose to start early (we feed our 6 month old table foods) but by 1 year, they should (usually) have 3 meals a day of table foods (plus any snacks, nursing, etc.) I thought.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
cowans2
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you're doing great! (I'm not a doc but I'm an NP too so you definitely have the nps' support here).
My oldest has feeding difficulties related to her micro-prematurity and would only eat pureed (homemade) baby food until she was almost 2 years old. It was hard for her and for me. She also wouldn't feed herself at all, just reluctantly opened her mouth for the spoon.
My middle one was exclusively on table food by 8 mo, since she didn't want the baby food. She insisted on feeding herself too(she's my independent one!). My pedi told me "way to go! great job." The dogs got fat by eating all the bits of avocado she dropped on the floor.
The bigger question may be: is this pedi a good fit for your family? You shouldn't have to skim over the truth, or feel uncomfortable with your beliefs. Find a doc that will support your decisions.
I'm moving this week and will really miss my current pedi who was always so interested and supportive of cd'ing, gently and effectively advocates for breastfeeding, and was very supportive of the alternative vax schedule I proposed. She treated our family with respect, and that's the kind of doc we should all be able to find.
cowans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #26
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbison View Post

Then the doctor came in and asked about baby food. I said he wouldn't ever eat more than two bites of anything mashed so we just started him on solid food at eight months and he eats what the rest of us eat. He turned to DS and said "well, whose the boss here? You or her?"
OMGosh this comment your ped said to your LO would have drove me insane!!!! Since when babies/toddlers can't have opinions in what they eat. My DD is 10 months is opinionated with foods I've given her. She rather feed herself. I give her mushy foods that she can gum and dissolve easily. She hates store bought baby food and will eat my pureed food I make her, but prefers to feed herself.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

my doc said to start finger foods at 9 months, but we're doing baby led weaning, so hes been feeding himself since we started solids at 6 months (hes 8 months now) he likes his food spiced too

even at the daycare i worked at, the kids were transitoned off of baby food and eating table food at a year. we actually werent allowed to feed it to them after that, except the short time it took to transition

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!

Last edited by armywife2002; 06-02-2008 at 02:34 PM.
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #28
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

WhY would you feed a ONE year old BABY food?! that's weird. Baby food is for BABIES not toddlers. DD ate it fine, but we were done with it by one year!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #29
babydoll101
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife2002 View Post
my doc said to start finger foods at 9 months, but we're doing baby led weaning, so hes been feeding himself since we started solids at 6 months (hes 8 months now) he likes his food spiced too
Exactly! That was the phrase I was thinking about Most around here talk about it and practice it. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Espically for coming on and trying to find out what others think and do with their lo's.
babydoll101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #30
sepedaboyz
Registered Users

My Mood:

huh? wonder if he has stock in Gerber?!

My son is going to be 1 in 2 weeks and he just started eating solids last month! He is FINE! He is breastfed and solids are just suppose to be "practice" for the first year anyway not for any nutritional purpose but that is rarely followed these days.
sepedaboyz is offline   Reply With Quote