Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #21
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP!!!ANYONE here trying to BF and have health issues since pregnancy/birth?

Thanks so much everyone for the encouragement and support! I am still pumping away even though Egan can't have my milk yet. I think we have decided to head home to make sure that I can see my doctor and get straightened out with my health. I love being here in NC, but am concerned that I am still having constant headaches though not always severe. I will be so glad to figure out what is going on and to get better.

Egan is having some gas issues with being on nothing but formula, so hopefully my doctor can give me another type of med so that I can give Egan some Mommy milk instead. I am also going to purchase one of the SNS to help with feeding Egan and latching on. I have found some LLL numbers so hopefully I can find a group when we arrive home to help me out asap.

Thanks again for all of the support, links, encouragement, and especially sharing your experiences! This thread has given me renewed hope that all is not lost with our breastfeeding experience even though right now it isn't like we hoped/planned.

Thanks again ladies!! You are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo amazing!!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #22
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP!!!ANYONE here trying to BF and have health issues since pregnancy/birth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23girls View Post
Kaydee - I also had preeclampsia when Iwas pregnant and then had very high bp's afterwards. Right now the most important thing is to take care of yourself - even if it means taking bp meds. There are many save bp meds to take however when you are nursing. Another website to get some additional preeclampsia information and some information on mamas who are breastfeeding while taking bp meds is: www.preclampsia.org. I take Toprol and Norvasc right now and FINALLY my BP is down to a managable level. Both were approved by my pedi/neonatologist for use while BF. Also get a copy of the Dr. Hale's Medications & Nursing - you can also find out his information online.

The pump is super important like others have said. I'm glad you have a hospital grade pump - it will make alot of difference. The SNS is a great idea - I didn't get that suggestion either though - I wonder why they don't offer it more? Would be a good question!

My dd was exclusively bottle fed for a little over a month and didn't really catch on to nursing until the couple of months but she's great at it now and transitions really easily - don't give up hope!

PM me if you have other questions about my pp experience or would like more information on bp meds - I'll see what I can do to help!

Thanks so much Amanda! I will definitely check out that site!

I have no idea why the LC or even the nurses, ob, or ped didn't suggest it. I gave birth at a 'supposedly' breast friendly hospital. I took a bfing class with the same LC who even spoke about the SNS. I didn't think of it at the time because that was the first time I had ever heard of such a thing. {at the bfing class}. I feel disappointed in that hospital as NOTHING they said during classes/tours/etc was actually accurate in what they actually did. I guess we should always remember the 'if it sounds to good to be true.. it probably is". I now wonder if the "LC" was an actual LC. She pushed the bottle so much and as the FIRST option that I am shocked. Anyway.. hopefully LLL groups will help and even guide me to a great LC if needed.

Thanks for giving me the link on PreEclampsia! I will definitely check it out. During pregnancy {at the end} my blood pressure was only like 140's over 88, etc. Nothing horrible. Now they are 'low' at those numbers even on the high blood pressure meds. Weird huh? Also the ob gave me 800mgs of Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen 'causes' an increase in blood pressure which I didn't know. I had been taking those pills for my increasingly strong headaches.

We are needing to get ready to drive home, so I need to go get ready.

Thanks again for the encouragement, sharing your experience, and giving me the link!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #23
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's been a few days since I read your other posts, so maybe this has already been said. But, I just wanted to mention that I have found that Drs are quick to say that you cannot nurse while taking most meds, but often they area really just not aware. So, I always check Medications and Mother's Milk by Dr. Thomas Hale or his website: http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/ You can login as a guest and search for all kinds of meds.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #24
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by odentonmom View Post
It's been a few days since I read your other posts, so maybe this has already been said. But, I just wanted to mention that I have found that Drs are quick to say that you cannot nurse while taking most meds, but often they area really just not aware. So, I always check Medications and Mother's Milk by Dr. Thomas Hale or his website: http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/ You can login as a guest and search for all kinds of meds.
Thanks again Christine! I will definitely check it out. The 'warning' on the RX bottle says.. "not safe for bfing' so I haven't been giving any bmilk. I couldn't get an appointment here with the clinic they wanted me to go to until Monday. {next week} So I have just been waiting and having to take the meds until then.
Thanks for sending the site and all of the other help! It means a lot!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #25
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haven't read all PP but here are my 3 big suggestions

1_ DEFINITELY get a hospital grade (rented) pump (they are a couple thousand to buy, so don't think you can get a pump in style advanced or anything, it won't work) it is THE ONLY thing that can maintain or increase your supply if baby isn't nursing from breast.

2_Get in touch with a lactation consultant at ilca.org ASAP. You can still get baby to breast. I worked at a breastfeeding resource store for a long time and met several mamas who did this MONTHS after birth!

3_Try an herbal tincture, like motherlove herbals more milk or lactaflow, and take the max amount suggested for a few days while pumping every 2 to 3 hours. It will be a pain in the butt but the milk will flow, mama!

Hugs and love to you. You can do it and it will be soooooo worth it. I had mastitis a bunch of times when DS was a few months and the best thing someone said was "a year from now, you won't even remember these days..." and it's true, you won't. You'll just know the awesome benefits and enjoyment of nursing! Good luck!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #26
Keri
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: HELP!!!ANYONE here trying to BF and have health issues since pregnancy/birth?

Ok...Take a deep breath....it's going to be OK...really!!! It sounds like you are doing the best you can in your situation and unfortunately life just isn't ideal and neither is parenthood...so welcome aboard!!! We try to plan every little detail and when things don't work out just like we envisioned them we(New Mommy's) get very upset. I had to suppliment with both of my babies in the beginning until my milk became established. I have two friends that have used the supplimental nursing systems and they did miracles for them. I would go online to lalecheleague.com and get the contact number for your local support Mama and give her a call. They are great and very encouraging to talk to. I've used them both times around with my babies and also talked to the lactation consultants at the hospital(they are there for you even months after you deliver!) Just give them and call. Just know that the small amount of breastmilk that you are giving him is doing wonders so don't feel guilty and stressed and nervous. This is a long process and it takes time for both of you. Just trust yourself and know that you are capable of feeding your baby and that either way (formula or breastmilk) has nothing to do with you being a good Mama!!! Just the fact that you care this much means that you are a GREAT Mama and your little guy is blessed to have you! Get some encouragement...keep doing your best...and take care of yourself and sleep!
Blessings, Keri

I am wondering if there are any other mamas on here that are trying to Breastfeed, but have health issues since pregnancy/birth? I was induced for mild PreEclampsia and large baby for Gestational Diabetes. {He was actually
A LOT larger than the u/s said he would be. He was 37 weeks 1 day gestation and weighted 9lbs. 5.8 ozs}. I was mostly induced for the fear of a large baby.. which turned out to be larger than anyone had imagined.

The 'cure' to PreEclampsia and Gestational Diabetes is delivery of the baby. DS is now 3 weeks old. I haven't had any issues with the GD, but the PreEclampsia turned into Eclampsia and I have been in and out of the hospital since Egan's birth. They also think I may have had a small stroke.

I WAS making 2 ozs of bm on one breast, but since have almost lost most of my milk supply. It now barely covers the bottom of the bottle{of the pump}. My blood pressure has been 182/126, 172/126, etc. I left the ER two days ago with blood pressure of 172/118. I am "stressed" and if someone else tells me NOT to be stressed... I just don't know what I will do!! How can you NOT be stressed when you are so sick and the 'cure' 'supposedly' happened 3 weeks ago, but you are getting worse? On top of that, how can I BF let alone EBF when my milk supply just won't go or stay up?

I pump and have to feed it to him before we give the formula. {As I mentioned in the first post after Egan's birth on my problems with bfing was that the LC at the hospital actually had the ped put ds on formula as my supply wasn't in at all}. I understand that, but don't understand WHY they didn't do a SUPPLEMENTAL NURSING SYSTEM so that he was getting the formula, but also at the breast to stimulate my milk? {They put him on the formula because he had severe low blood sugar at birth and needed to get it up. He was away from me for 12 hours as it apparently took that long to get it stablilized}. They were supposed to use a syringe to give him formula but he ended up on a bottle the second feeding}.

I have also not had any success with getting him latched on to the breast since leaving the hospital 3 weeks ago. Even there he didn't do it for more than a minute at most before he was screaming bloody murder. We tried a nipple shield too. We had decided that if I got my milk supply up then he wouldn't be so frustrated and would latch on.
I haven't even tried in the last two weeks since I have had such horrible health issues and seem to always be at the ER or hospital. I just pump and we give him the breastmilk in a bottle. My DH tries to be so supportive that I am giving him BM and that even though 'right now' he isn't latching on .. that he will. He keeps saying that atleast I am giving him 'some' breastmilk, but it is definitely a TINY amount compared to the formula that he gets.

I guess I am wondering.. will he really EVER latch on? Will I ever be able to make enough milk to even get him to want to latch on? I know that he was born 3/4 weeks early, but what about giving him all of these bottles for EVERY feeding? I have been too sick and tired.. usually in the hospital/ER to call or meet up with a LLL or anyone else. We are also in another state looking for a house... so I am extra stressed. Is this just a hopeless situation? Am I the ONLY one who is or has gone through this? Am I just never going to be able to bf my baby? This is our last baby as my health just can't handle ever having more, so this is basically my LAST chance to ever bf my babies!
I am just so upset, frustrated, and depressed! Why can't I be a 'real woman" and have great births and breastfeed my own babies? Why is it so easy for others and so difficult/impossible for me?
{Okay..enough pity myself. I truly am just so sad right now}.

Thanks for listening! I am not sure if I want someone to post who knows what I am going through as it is so frustrating and depressing and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. If you made it this far.. thanks for reading! ANY help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Also does anyone know a great LLL or LC in/around Raleigh, NC?[/QUOTE]
Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #27
kimberlee212
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wish I had read this post sooner. I could have sent you a list of LCs in the Raleigh area as well as contact numbers for the local LLL. I hope you are getting the help you need back home now.

Kimberlee
Old 06-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #28
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama View Post
Thanks again Christine! I will definitely check it out. The 'warning' on the RX bottle says.. "not safe for bfing' so I haven't been giving any bmilk. I couldn't get an appointment here with the clinic they wanted me to go to until Monday. {next week} So I have just been waiting and having to take the meds until then.
Thanks for sending the site and all of the other help! It means a lot!
FYI - It even says that on the info. that comes with domperidone. I think that almost all drug makers say that for liability. It is easier to say that don't take it while nursing than to actually do research on whether it transfers into breastmilk.

I find it funny that the only place I hear the words nursing or BFing on television seems to be in drug ads telling you "not recommended it you are pregnant, or nursing."
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #29
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi-Just wondering how you are feeling. How are your headaches? Are they very strong? I was worried about you - post partum preeclampsia is very serious please make sure you call your OB if your headaches don't go away after taking the motrin as it can be a sign thet your bp is still really high. Please be careful too about taking anything over the counter or herbal for just right now since thay still have you on meds sometimes stuff interacts funny. Please know that I am not trying to be snarky or alarmist I just have seen too many women and babies be affected by PE and want so much for noone else go to through what they (or I) went through.You are a great mama keep an eye on yourself!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #30
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23girls View Post
Hi-Just wondering how you are feeling. How are your headaches? Are they very strong? I was worried about you - post partum preeclampsia is very serious please make sure you call your OB if your headaches don't go away after taking the motrin as it can be a sign thet your bp is still really high. Please be careful too about taking anything over the counter or herbal for just right now since thay still have you on meds sometimes stuff interacts funny. Please know that I am not trying to be snarky or alarmist I just have seen too many women and babies be affected by PE and want so much for noone else go to through what they (or I) went through.You are a great mama keep an eye on yourself!
Thanks Amanda! I am actually having less severe headaches and have actually gone a couple of days with NO headaches at all. I have had a couple the last few days, but I think it was stress related. We are looking for a house, staying in a hotel, and it is very hot here. Though I won't complain as I was so sick of all the rain, cold, and dreary gray weather in Seattle. I won't complain about sunshine and warmth again!
I am on a high blood pressure medicine that seems to keep it under control. I mean it is alittle high, but 1000% better than it was. My Dh comes off of paternity leave tomorrow and that is stressful as we are still very much in transition. I would love to rest, but there are always so many things to do. I am sure once we get settled into the house things will be better. I would like to find a great ob/gyn, family doctor, pediatrician, etc around here, but so far haven't had any luck. The appointment at the 'clinic" I was sent to by the other hospital was a joke and we left right after seeing the medical student and resident. It was really frustrating as they told me that I needed to see a general practioner and they didn't want to run some tests on me because if they came back abnormal, then they would have to treat me. YEP! That is why I came to you... to get treated! Anyway.. I am hoping that things change soon. I am atleast doing better with the blood pressure, but I am wondering if it is because of the meds. I am about to run out with NO refill, so I have to hurry and decide something. Gas is high and my ob is 7/8 hours away {one way} so we have been trying to find some 'help' here. {In NC}.

I also don't think you are snarky or alarmist! I think you are worried and want to make sure things don't go wrong. Thank you for that!