Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
martha.nelson
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Who uses Textured Vegitable Protine? (TVP)

I'm looking for some quick easy recipies for TVP. We are trying to conserve money, and looking to replace ground beef in our diets.
I know alot of people substitute this in meals like sloppy joes, and spagetti.
Anyone have any other great ideas?

Advertisement

Mommy of two perfect preemies, Olivia, Owen, & Lucia, expecting baby #4 October 2011! Wife to my best friend Matt.
martha.nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Monzie
Registered Users

Re: Who uses Textured Vegitable Protine? (TVP)

I've been a vegetarian for many years and I don't really miss ground beef that much. So I only use TVP when I make chili or tacos. But you can use it in just about anything where you'd used crumbled browned hamburger...shepherd's pie, lasagne, stuffed peppers, Hamburger Helper (ack! ). I'd just recommend choosing things that have a lot of seasoning because the TVP doesn't taste like much and really only passes for meat in stuff that doesn't depend too much on the meat for flavor.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
martha.nelson
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Thank you mamma for the reply. Do you have any other ideas for us since you have been vegetarian for some time? With the cost of meat getting so high we are looking for alternatives. : )
Mommy of two perfect preemies, Olivia, Owen, & Lucia, expecting baby #4 October 2011! Wife to my best friend Matt.
martha.nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
jamiebwolcott
Registered Users

We use Textured Vegetable Protein for tacos. You can get the Taco Seasoning packet from the store, and use it the same way as you would with beef.

TVP is awesome! It's really cheap in bulk..

You can put it in a pot of chili, too.

Or use it as the "meat" in spaghetti sauce. you could make meatballs out of it, probably, with using eggs as the binder.

The only thing is, you have to season it quite heavily, since it has basically no flavor. But that's a good thing, as well, since you can make it taste like anything!

Daisy Josephine b. March 30, 2007. Vegetarian Family
jamiebwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ahhh, the beauty of veganism is that we are ALWAYS out there finding ways to cook without eggs.

Behold, a recipe for TVP "meat"balls without eggs:

http://nowheyjose.com/recipes/meatballs-italiano/

"If we switch to eating a vegan diet, we no longer have to "save the planet". Veganism allows the planet to save itself." ~~ Jeff Popick
Shawna in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

I have partially converted dh to TVP. He loves ( and actually prefers) morningstar farms ground in tostadas.
CaleighAHolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
beanmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can someone tell me how to use it ...I purchased some in bulk awhile back- do I add water to it before cooking (figuring so) how much, is there a ratio? I read another idea is to do 1/2 meat and 1/2 TVP, still saving money while getting a bit of meat for flavor as well.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

I Googled "using TVP" for you:

The small granules or bits of TVP® are easy to rehydrate: you can add them straight to soups or pour 7/8 cup boiling water over 1 cup of TVP® and let it stand for 5-10 minutes. Adding a little ketchup, lemon juice, or vinegar (acidity) helps speed up rehydration if you are in a rush. Remember, flexibility is a key component to cooking with TVP®. You can, if you prefer, use less liquid to rehydrate it and get a slightly different feel. You can also partially rehydrate the TVP® and then put it in the recipe you are cooking to absorb "some" of the liquid from the dish, and thus also the flavor. You can also change the texture of the pre-flavored items like the taco or BBQ TVP® by adjusting the amount of liquid you add. This can make it more moist or chewy. TVP® holds it's texture and feel in things like spaghetti sauce and stews and will still be good for leftover use. Caution must be used in caring for TVP® after it is rehydrated. It must be refrigerated and treated like a meat.

http://waltonfeed.com/self/tvp.html

As a vegan, I find the purity of the TVP a really beautiful thing, so there is no way I'd ever consider mixing meat with it. Meat should be kept alone rather than be allowed to contaminate something nifty like TVP.

"If we switch to eating a vegan diet, we no longer have to "save the planet". Veganism allows the planet to save itself." ~~ Jeff Popick
Shawna in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I love making "Fried Rice" with it.

Saute it with lots of veggies, soy sauce, garlic, a scrambled egg and 5 Spice Chinese Powder! GOOD stuff.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote