Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
kgsd
Registered Users
seller

WAHM diaper quality

Most of my stash is not WAHM stuff, but I have recently bought a few WAHM diapers and covers. Most WAHM diapers seem to be well-made, but I just got one diaper that, while it's not falling apart or anything, just doesn't look professional. Actually, it looks like something I would make - uneven stitching, tabs not the same size, etc.

I'm not unhappy at all, and I'm not complaining. The flaws don't seem to be bad enough to affect how the diaper works (haven't tried it yet). I'm just wondering if that's common for WAHM stuff.

Advertisement

kgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Re: WAHM diaper quality

There can be big differences in the quality of wahm mom items. I think most of us try to put out a really great product, but sadly the exception makes a lot of buyers cautious until they hear good or bad from others. Sorry you got one thats not up to par.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The first WAHM diaper I bought was made like that. It turned me off to them for a while, until I started hanging out here (diaperswappers) and I realized that thats how the best diapers are made! The first one I got, I got off of ebay and there was no company name or anything, it was just listed as a WAHM diaper. So I'm guessing maybe it was just someone new to the whole thing. The diapers I have bought since then (from mamas here or HC) have been AWESOME. You can tell they really take their time making them and care about what they're doing.

So I wouldn't let that diaper turn you off to WAHM dipes, they all are definitely not like that.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Honestly? I would let the WAHM know - they may not even be aware that their fluff isn't as good as it could (or should) be. I've only received one diaper that was less than I expected (wing size uneven, stitching uneven, etc), and the WAHM seemed shocked that I was not 100% pleased with it. I think the reason this happens, is that some people are a little TOO eager to encourage and praise some new WAHMs.. rather than offering constructive criticism and HONEST appraisals of their work.

Wether I'm ordering from a large company or a WAHM, I expect the same level of perfection. I think we'd all agree that if we ordered a "name brand" diaper and it arrived with serious stitching flaws we wouldn't be happy, yet that seems to be "ok" coming from some WAHMs? Doesn't seem right to me.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
OnlyaMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsd
Most of my stash is not WAHM stuff, but I have recently bought a few WAHM diapers and covers. Most WAHM diapers seem to be well-made, but I just got one diaper that, while it's not falling apart or anything, just doesn't look professional. Actually, it looks like something I would make - uneven stitching, tabs not the same size, etc.

I'm not unhappy at all, and I'm not complaining. The flaws don't seem to be bad enough to affect how the diaper works (haven't tried it yet). I'm just wondering if that's common for WAHM stuff.

I dont know what to say about you bad dipe, mabye you should say something to the wahm?

I did however want to comment on your avatar! What an angel!!!!!!!!!!! I love babies with lots of hair!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
kgsd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyaMommy
I did however want to comment on your avatar! What an angel!!!!!!!!!!! I love babies with lots of hair!
Thank you! It seems funny to me now to see babies without hair! She was born that way. I love that t-shirt in the avatar - you can't tell exactly from the picture, but it sort of looks like a tattoo, and I think it's perfect with her "punk rock mohawk."

So how do I say it to the WAHM? I don't want a refund or anything, but I guess y'all are right - maybe I should give her some constructive criticism? How should I say it?
kgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterBun
Honestly? I would let the WAHM know - they may not even be aware that their fluff isn't as good as it could (or should) be. I've only received one diaper that was less than I expected (wing size uneven, stitching uneven, etc), and the WAHM seemed shocked that I was not 100% pleased with it. I think the reason this happens, is that some people are a little TOO eager to encourage and praise some new WAHMs.. rather than offering constructive criticism and HONEST appraisals of their work.

Wether I'm ordering from a large company or a WAHM, I expect the same level of perfection. I think we'd all agree that if we ordered a "name brand" diaper and it arrived with serious stitching flaws we wouldn't be happy, yet that seems to be "ok" coming from some WAHMs? Doesn't seem right to me.
ITA! Honestly, some people don't really know much about technique and it might help to have some constructive criticism. My mom has been sewing many years and is a perfectionist when it comes to sewing. My cousin, on the other hand, is fairly new to it and can stitch a garment together (she even sells clothing on ebay), but is very sloppy and does not have good technique. That is why I don't mind paying more for well-made WAHM dipes. I like to know I'm getting something made well.
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me I try to research the wahm best I can first. Anyone can be called a wahm... kwim

My best stuff is wahm but I am leary of trying new brands without some type of reccommendation.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Is the wahm just starting out? I have learned that it does take awhile to get everything down just right and get used to doing things. but, sewing quality is another issue that should definately be worked on.

I think constructive criticism is always a good thing. that is how one improves upon themselves.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdlane
Is the wahm just starting out? I have learned that it does take awhile to get everything down just right and get used to doing things. but, sewing quality is another issue that should definately be worked on.

I think constructive criticism is always a good thing. that is how one improves upon themselves.
ITA, and if they have sloppy sewing, they should be sold as seconds.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote