Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Detergents - okay, what after Allen's and Charlies? Who uses reg. detergents?

Okay guys...give me some tips here. I use to use Allen's powdered, and switched to Charlies Soap, also powdered. I'm just not liking these.

Allen's worked great for about 5 months, then stopped. We have very hard water, so I needed a water softner. Just when I found a store to carry Calgon's here, I had switched to Charlie's. Charlie's is okay, BUT I still have to add water softner. I tried Allen's again, and I just don't like it. There's no ammonia smell or anything like that, so it's not buildup. The diapers just don't smell fresh to me.

Is it just the nature of a powdered detergent verses a liquid? I've always used powdered.

So...I have a friend who uses Dreft. I've always read not to use it. She basically swears by it and after cding for 16 years, she should know! Today, I was going to try a load in Dreft and see how it does.

The MotherEase site says to use your reg. detergent. So...why don't people?

Any suggestions to help my dipe laundering. Adding baking soda doesn't cut it...tried that before.

Advertisement

3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
LoveSunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Detergents - okay, what after Allen's and Charlies? Who uses reg. detergents?

I'm having a similar problem! I've been using Charlie's powder for several months now and it was working fine, but now my diapers smell musty out of the dryer. I also don't like the powder on my regular clothes. So, I've switched to Sun Free & Clear, which was OKed by the pinstripesandpolkadots website for pocket diapers (I use mainly FB) and it's been working great so far! And it's uber-cheap, 2.75 for 100 oz which goes a long way when you're washing diapers!

LoveSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Re: Detergents - okay, what after Allen's and Charlies? Who uses reg. detergents?

I just use regular detergent. My fav and the one I buy mostly is Era followed by Arm N hammer (doesn't break us out like some) and then purex, sun is last I just don't care for it like the others.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
YumaDoula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Looking forward to a new butt to fluff in December!
YumaDoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
ophelia2002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Dawn.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What I'm also noticing is that...all my hemp dipes with quick-dry soakers are fine. All the dipes with INTERNAL hemp and/or BKT soakers...those are the ones I don't like the smells of.

Hmmmm...

Welp, I'm trying a load of in some Dreft now. I also did buy some Dawn, but wasn't sure how to use that for washing dipes. Just that and nothing else? How much?

I'm beginning to think it's all a hype to have a 'special' type of detergent. Granted, you don't want fabric softners to make them repell...but other than that...I don't see why normal stuff isn't okay.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i use Gain and have been since last year, danaes 19 months old and weve used it since she was 3 weeks old when i started cd and we never have issues with the cloth, get you a box of the geen and orange
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
MommaRalph
Registered Users
seller

Apparently Charlie's doesn't sanitize diapers (see http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm since update). THE Charlie's guy suggested using bleach but I think the hot water might be enough of a sanitizing agent.

We have an HE front loader which adds many variables to the dipe washing equation IMO. I was using a baby-type detergent (no name) that said it was safe for CD but I got buildup and a rash. So, I've been using 1/6 cup of washing soda and 2 sprays of Simple Green. Works OK so far!

My new blog! www.mommaralph.blogspot.com
MommaRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah...I've been using All Fabric Bleach from Quixtar, it's an oxygen bleach and totally okay to use with dipes. That has been helping, when I remember to use it.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
RetroBaby
Witty title here
seller

My Mood:

I used Sportwash from the hunting section of Walmart (so PC, I know). Sometimes I used just regular old Tide. Honestly, I would be scared to use Dreft with anything microfleece. Repelling city! Also I don't remember Dreft being very good for stain removal.