View Poll Results: Dry beans vs. Canned
I love dry beans, it's much cheaper, and it's not any more effort for me over using canned. 18 36.00%
I only use canned, I don't have the time to plan for dry beans. 12 24.00%
I want to use dry beans, but can't fit it into my schedule. 12 24.00%
I use dry beans, and think the energy use costs roughly the same as buying canned. 8 16.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dry Beans ~vs.~ Canned Beans

making your own "baked beans" is easy especially if you use a crock pot.
Soak 2 lbs beans in water for 1-2 hrs (can be done while getting ready in the am)
Put beans in a crock pot, add water (not sure how much, we eye ball it), 12 oz molasses, a little ketchup, a little mustard, a couple chunks of bacon, some onion and set on low all day. You can add hot dogs, or other meats (we use partridge back home during hunting season, takes the dryness out of the bird).

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

growing up we grew a garden and canned everything. Marafax beans are super cheap in the fall, so we'd buy a ton and cook up large lots and can them to have in a pinch. I am also currently doing this with speghetti sauce. We can't stand the commercial kind and always make our own, but when you need a quick dinner I don't have time to make the sauce and let the flavors mix, so I bought some mason jars and will hopefully can this week. We use canned tomato sauce and other ingredients that we buy in bulk at sam's club. It makes it roughly the smae price or a little more expensive than buying name brand sauce, but SSOOOO much better (and I know what's in it!)
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can buy organic black beans at the commissary for cheap so we go that way. If I wanted to buy dry organic beans I would have to go to another store thus adding more driving and trips to my day...so cans it is for us. Oh, and then we recycle the can.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
slamont
Registered Users
seller

I dry beans. They are cheaper, you can just throw them in the crock pot, so they are so simple, the extra is freezable, there are no additives or extra sodium, more variety, less packaging/waste, most stores sell them in bulk so they are much cheaper that way. And I believe that there is a lot more food in a bag of dried beans than in a large can.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
JenB1983
Registered Users

I love dry beans! LOL I finally decided to give them a try since I can get them with WIC; haven't gone back!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
jbeansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I keep cans of beans on hand because I don't plan far enough in advance to soak beans overnight. If I was better at meal planning I would use dry beans. I do occasionally make bean soup with a bag of mixed dry beans. And recently tried dried lentils...they don't take much time at all.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
luvkadcl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do buy some canned refried organic beans from Whole Foods for convenience. I like having them in the pantry knowing that in a pinch I can have dd throw together some tortillas with beans and cheese. I use my pressure cooker often and it makes the best beans! Bean soup is out of this world!! I cook the beans without the top to a boil. Sit for one hour. They are then ready to cook. I rarely remember to soak ahead of time. I have to tell you too that I have cooked them without soaking and it was fine. I read of others online doing that. The best black bean soup (so easy too) can be cooked in less than 20 min. I think I need to find out about canning refried beans. I really recommend buying a newer pressure cooker. I can make a really great soup or stew in no time.
luvkadcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #18
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardandolaluna View Post
I use dry. I make extra and them freeze them in silicone muffin cups, pop them out and put them in a freezer ziplock back. They defrost sooner and don't get wasted that way
That's basically what we do too!! We just soak them overnight and cook them for about an hour--depending on the bean, that usually does it. Then I scoop them into the muffin cups (silicone also), then pop the bean cubes in a big freezer bag.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #19
domestic_engineer
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophT View Post
I didn't vote because I didn't see an option that really fit me. I used to hate dealing with dry beans, but since I've found you can cook them in the crockpot overnight with no need to soak first, I am much more likely to use them.
ooh- this sounds intriguing. can you provide more details/instructions, please?
domestic_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #20
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use dry mostly. I soak them overnight and them cook them in the crockpot on low all day. They would be ready in less time on high, but then I'd have to put them in the fridge and then reheat them for dinner - too much hassle for me. I prefer to just leave them on low.
I also do keep a couple cans in the pantry though for times when I missed planning ahead.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote