Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
TyNLilysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I NEED A RECIPE FOR TOFU!!!!

So Im really trying to transform the way i eat, I bought so much good stuff last night, Im excited, I feel ive abused my body for too long. I lost 20lbs before i got pregnant with my 8 month old little girl, but isnt that the way it works out...
I've been dying to try cooking with tofu. I finally bought some firm tofu. No idea how to cook it. I did see on Christina Cooks, that you press out the water, But do you do it all the time? Do you have to use the whole block of tofu?
If you have any ideas or recipe for one... That would be awesome. No one else here is going to eat it.. Fine with me... More for me !!!
Thanks Ladies

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
sunygrrl
Registered Users

Re: I NEED A RECIPE FOR TOFU!!!!

We use extra firm tofu and use it in stir fry. We combine with frozen stir fry veggies and saute it all in a pan w/ some olive oil and soy sauce. We have also baked it with tomatoe sauce and noodles. It should take on the flavor of whatever you cook it with.
sunygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
jamiebwolcott
Registered Users

Look on here:

http://www.vegweb.com

It's an awesome vegetarian site with tons of info.

You can take the tofu out of the package, drain the water, then put the block into a plastic freezer bag, and freeze it. This draws the water out and makes the texture much more firm. It will hold up to sauteing and stirring much better that way. Just take it out of the freezer in the morning of the day you want to use it, and it'll thaw by dinner time.

It's not necessary to press the water out, it helps with sauteing, because you don't have to wait for the water to evaporate out in the pan, but if you're making a stir fry, it doesn't matter much.

You can marinate tofu overnight, you can blacken it, or put jerk seasoning on there, or cajun seasoning...it's endless what you can do with a block of blessed tofu!

Try also, Fantastic Foods Tofu Scrambler. It's a dry seasoning box you can find in the healthy area of your grocery store, or local health food store. Good for breakfast!

Daisy Josephine b. March 30, 2007. Vegetarian Family

Last edited by jamiebwolcott; 06-02-2008 at 10:04 AM.
jamiebwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

I strongly recommend buying some vegan cookbooks. In them, you'll find many ways to prep tofu, including using it to make your own "sour cream".

Yellow Rose Recipes
Vegan with a Vengeance
Veganomicon

I totally and completely recommend those books. I use them myself, and would be lost---COMPLETELY lost---without them.

That said, my favorite way to use tofu is to buy the coarse type, extra firm, freeze it, and then press/drain it.

Chop favorite veggies like carrots, cauliflower, etc., and sautee with garlic & olive oil. Then crumble in your tofu. Then, add some seasonings and nutritional yeast (makes it a bit cheesy flavored, and adds B-12). Cook for about 10 minutes, using veggie broth in small splashes to help unstick everything from your pan if it's all starting to stick. I cook in an iron skillet most of the time, so sometimes things stick to it.

Enjoy.

There is also a way to make "fish sticks" with it. The recipe can be found in the Vegan Lunchbox. You use kelp granules to provide a "fishy" taste, but i've never made it.

"If we switch to eating a vegan diet, we no longer have to "save the planet". Veganism allows the planet to save itself." ~~ Jeff Popick
Shawna in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

This girl's recipes are usually to die for. Haven't tried this one yet, but it's SOOOO next on my list next time I make tofu. It sounds tooooooooo good.

http://veganyumyum.com/2008/06/sweet...ds-and-quinoa/

"If we switch to eating a vegan diet, we no longer have to "save the planet". Veganism allows the planet to save itself." ~~ Jeff Popick
Shawna in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
mcbruhn
Registered Users

Here are a couple of yummy ones that we like.

Oh, and we often add 8 oz. tofu to our Pad Thai recipe (along with either pork, chicken or shrimp). When we do that, we double the seasonings (lemon juice, fish sauce and sugar) and marinate the tofu in them while we prep everything. Yummy! The recipe we use for Pad Thai is from Extending the Table, which is an international cookbook by the same folks who did More With Less. It's recipes that have been adapted for American kitchens by Mennonite missionaries. PM me if you want that recipe.

Tofu and Mushrooms in Hoisin Peanut Sauce

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs rice wine (Chinese or Japanese)
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt
pinch black pepper
1/2 cup water
1.5 tbs canola oil
.5 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
1/2 lb firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1/2 lb sliced button mushrooms
3 Tbs unsalted roast peanuts, pulsed in a blender until finely chopped
2 Tbs sliced scallions

Mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, salt, pepper and water to make sauce. Set aside. Heat oil in a wok or sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger, and stir-fry about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry about 2 minutes or until they begin to get tender. Add the sauce and bring to a simmer. Add the tofu, stir well, and allow to simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes. Add the peanuts and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens from the peanuts. Serve over rice.

Servings: 4 (262 calories, 20g carb, 13.5g protein, 15g fat)

Red-Cooked Tofu with Chinese Mushrooms

8 oz firm tofu
3 tbs soy sauce
3 tbs rice wine
2 tsp dark brown sugar
.5 tsp garlic
1 tbs ginger, grated
.5 tsp five spice powder
pinch szechuan peppercorn, crushed
6 shiitake mushrooms, dried
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbs canola oil
3 scallions, slided
6 tbs water (from soaking mushrooms)

Drain the tofu very well (pressing between plates). Cut the tofu into pieces that are approximately 1" square and ¼" thick. Mix the soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, garlic, ginger, five-spice powder, and peppercorns in a shallow bowl and marinate the tofu in this mixture for at least 30 minutes (preferably longer). Just before cooking, drain the tofu and save the marinade. Meanwhile, soak the dried mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes and drain, reserving 6 Tbsp. of the liquid. Slice off the tough stems and then slice the caps into ¼ to ½" thick slices. Blend the cornstarch with the remaining marinade and mushroom liquid. Heat a wok on medium-high heat and add the oil, swirling it to coat the wok. Add the tofu and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until it gets golden brown and begins to stick a little. It is very important that the oil is hot enough (no greasy tofu)! Remove the tofu and set it aside. Fry the mushrooms and white parts of the scallions in the wok for 2 minutes. Pour in the marinade-cornstarch mixture and stir it for 1 minute, until thickened. Return the tofu to the wok and add the green parts of the scallions. Simmer gently 1-2 minutes and serve over rice or rice noodles.

Servings: 4 (104 calories, 13g carb, 10g protein, 12g fat)

***Nutrition info is approximate: my Living Cookbook program calculates it based on the ingredients. So not as accurate as if you got this out of a magazine or cookbook where they've calculated it from the finished dish.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
SublimeBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: hypnomom
seller

My Mood:

I just made the Cornmeal Chili Crusted Tofu from the Veganomicon and it was officially my husband's new favorite meal. Totally worth the price of the cookbook.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i love mapo tofu i omit the pork

Chinese Mapo Tofu Recipe
Serving Size : 6-8

-------- --
2 TB Oil -- for sautéing
1 TB Black Bean Garlic Sauce
2 TB Red Chili Paste with Garlic
2 TB Plum Sauce
1 lb Ground pork
1 C Rice Wine
1 pack Fresh tofu (any firmness)- cut into cubes
1/2 c Chopped green onions
4 Chopped Garlic
2 TB Corn Starch mix with 1/2 cup water
1 TB Soy Sauce

Procedure: In a wok or deep skillet, place oil, till the oil is hot, place Garlic and stir for a minutes. Put the ground pork, until the ground pork is cooked. Add a cup of rice wine, Black Bean Sauce, Soy Sauce, Red Chili Sauce with Garlic and Plum Sauce. Turn heat on high; gradually combine the sauces and meat as the heat increases. When meat is browned and cooked through, turn heat to medium and add cubed tofu. Mix gently and continue to simmer for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until well blended and tofu is heated through. Add Corn Starch mix with 1/2 cup water, and stir a little bit until is boil again add green onion and toss.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
TyNLilysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How long do you press tofu for?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:54 AM   #10
3ofhearts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't always press my tofu. It depends on whether or not you want it to fry or broil crunchy or not. When I do, I use one of those square tupperware containers, wrap it in clean towels and put a big can of tomatoes on top of it. I leave it set for like, 10 minutes.

Here's a recipe I want to try soon: http://www.veg*****.com/2008/05/12/s...le-tofu-balls/

EDIT: Er, you'll have to replace those stars with the word for a female dog!
3ofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote