Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
yagow2001
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This will sound odd...ways to spoon-feed breast milk?

My 5mo DS is EBF and though we continue to try every kind of bottle and nipple, he will not suck on a bottle, he just chews on it. The most he's ever drank from the bottle was about an ounce. One week after he turns 6mo, DH and I are planning a quick trip out east (almost four days, DH is getting an award at his professional conference) and my in-laws have agreed to take both kids and as much as I would like to leave them both I'm afraid DS will go hungry because he won't drink his BM while I'm gone. I know the easiest thing to do as far as feedings will be to take him with me, which I can decide to do at the last minute if I don't feel comfortable that he will eat while I'm gone. I'm wondering if any one has any ideas on how we could thicken up BM with oatmeal or brown rice cereal (I grind it myself and make it according to Super Baby Food book).

I've been preparing him for this by starting solids and introducing a sippy cup of water when he turned 5mo, rather than waiting until 6mo, and I've been pumping and freezing milk, I'm still looking for ideas on ways to get him to drink the milk. I know his baby food is mixed with lots of milk, and by the time we go on the trip he will be eating whole milk yogurt and hopefully thin homemade oatmeal/brown rice cereal made with BM.

I'm working hard to get him to drink from a NUK sippy cup and that is my challenge for the next few weeks before the trip, I guess. Right now I have water in it and he is learning to get the water out by sucking. I'm not sure how he will react when I put BM in there, but I want to wait until he figures out how to suck on it first. I've already spent too much money on trying different kinds of bottles and nipples, I don't really want to spend a fortune trying every kind of sippy cup if, like our ped said, he might not figure it out at this young age. Most other cups basically pour milk down their throat, and I know he isn't ready for that fast flow yet.

Please don't respond if all you are going to tell me is that I am a horrible, selfish mother for even thinking of leaving my baby for a few days. Trust me that I will not leave him if I am afraid he won't get enough nourishment and if worse comes to worse, I will fly right home the next day if my in-laws say all he has done is cry and not eat. I'm just trying not to be overprotective and overly nervous, because he might do great when I'm not around. Just give me ideas to try so I can feel more secure with this idea, please!

Advertisement

I've been paid to complete online surveys at http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/6696974
yagow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:
Re: This will sound odd...ways to spoon-feed breast milk?

can you squirt the milk into his mouth with an oral syringe?

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
yagow2001
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll make sure they have a syringe just in case - that's a good idea if he doesn't mind it coming that fast, it might be messy but it's worth a try! My in-laws said they would do whatever it takes, so that's a option I think. Thanks!
I've been paid to complete online surveys at http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/6696974
yagow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I've BTDT since DD would NOT take anything while I was at work and poor DH was stuck pulling his hair out for 14 hours at a time.

Here's an arsenal of things to try:

syringe (like a medicine dropper)
finger feeding with larger syringe and long tube (medical grade infant nasogastric tube)
putting BM on a babyfood or sport bottle,etc lid and pouring some in babe's mouth
spooning it in
letting LO "lap" it up out of a saucer like a kitty
a rubbermaid no spill straw bottle - babe can learn to suck it up that early and you can always give it a little squeeze to give LO some incentive
BM freezies or popsicles

If you're interested I can PM you the exhaustive list once I talk to DH and he reminds me of the other stuff he tried.

Last edited by jaceraden; 06-02-2008 at 01:32 PM.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd did best with a tupperware cup while sitting in her bumbo. I think an open cup is a good choice, but it takes a lot of patience on the part of the person doing the feeding.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
starryeyedgyal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Has anyone besides yourself offered him a bottle? When DD#1 was about a month old I had DH give her a bottle once a week to get used to it. However, I had to be out of the house for her to take it. If I was any where within earshot, forget it; she wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I was actually in a panic b/c a week before I went back to work she wouldn't take the bottle from DH or my mom at all! I ended up leaving her with my mom my first day of work. She took the bottle b/c she had no other choice. Sounds kind of harsh, but maybe something like that would work? I had the option of leaving work to feed if her if necessary though.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BTDT. Hopefully he will get used to the sippy spout since that will be the easiest way. If not, I recommend you try the medicine spoons with a hollow handle like this. You put the milk in the handle and you can control the flow very nicely.

I have also used medicine syringes and finger feeders. Here is some good information on cup feeding.

Good luck.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
spryght
Registered Users
seller

My DD has been doing better with the straw type sippy cup lately cause she doesn't have to coordinate tipping the cup and head back to drink. Might be worth a try. If you don't end up using the cup right now you might be able to later. Or a cheaper option to just try to see if the straw thing will work would be to go to a fast food restaurant and pick up some straws and use them in your cups at home just to see if your DC can figure out the straw.

Amy
Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
yummymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a tea cup worked great for us - The edge of the cup is thin enough for them to sip from - GL - out of desperation I also know that soaking a cloth in breast milk and letting them suck on it works too!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
tamarag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow those are some great ideas!
Here is my 2 cents worth, Adiri bottle if you want to try a different bottle and if you already haven't. My DS wouldn't take a bottle either until Adiri came along. http://www.rightstart.com/global/sea...FQguHgodIzpKYw
If not that I second the syringe's. DS was fed like this for the first 2-3 weeks of his life since he decided he didn't want to latch on. You can control how fast and how much comes out. Just make sure to angle it towards his cheek.

Good luck mama, and have a great trip!