Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
Spitcairn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding and MS

Anyone out there with Multiple Sclerosis and breastfeeding?

I am bfing my 6 month old and looks like I may be getting diagnosed with MS. Just wondering if I can still bf or if she needs to be weaned. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding and MS

My cousin has MS and was not able to BF at all, but ya'lls situations seem pretty different, she'd had it for years before they had their little miracle baby and he body just did not have the extra energy to make enough milk to nurse. Some MS drugs can be really hardcore and I can't imagine that you would be able to nurse on them, BUT it really depends on how bad your MS is, what kind of treatments your doc will want you to do and what you decide you want to do. I know of one woman who altered her diet drastically and went of meds and she did very well as long as she stuck to it. Good Luck mama and
Old 06-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
roxie
Registered Users

i don't know much about how it would affect you... But you can probably continue as long as the meds the doc. gives you are safe for baby. Good luck!
roxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
MamaMary920
Registered Users
seller

Hi,

First of all, I'm sorry if you are being diagnosed with MS, but hopefully your doctors will find some great medications for you so you will be able to manage it. My mom and a close friend (and her 2 sisters) have MS so I know a bit about it. My friend has 2 kids and has MS. She did not breastfeed because she wanted to go back on her meds directly post-partum. During pregnancy, a woman with MS usually feels her best because the immune system is suppressed in order to protect the baby. After the birth, though, symptoms tend to come back and/or worsen temporarily. Some say that breastfeeding will prolong the pregnancy state of feeling good, but I don't know anyone who has done that. After the birth of my friend's first child she had a pretty bad relapse, but not after the birth of her second.

I think the thought is, if you can forego the medications and breastfeed for a while, do it. But if you are not feeling well, don't mess with it. MS is a serious disease and requires serious medications.

Good luck! You have already done GREAT by giving your baby 6 months of your milk.
MamaMary920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also encourage you to work closely with your doctor, your childs pediatrician and seek out more helpful resources (Dr Jack Newman & Dr Thomas Hale) in the event they suggest medications.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Caidensmom
Registered Users

I dont post here often [at all], but i felt i just had to share...

I dont have MS, but i have something kinda similar, its called Myasthenia Gravis. I told my neurologist that i was breastfeeding until AT LEAST 2yrs, and i had to be put on medication that was compatible.
And i second Dr. Jack Newman, he helped me alot

Good luck, and remember to try all the bfing compatible medicines first, but dont lose your health....Best of luck
Caidensmom is offline   Reply With Quote