Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
support through a pause/strike.

we could use some support through a pause. DH is getting frustrated wondering if we are doing more harm than good. Sometimes DD refuses to sit on the potty when we *know* she has to go. We used to ALWAYS catch poops....and it was wonderful. But now her body's sched has changed and she goes when she wakes from a nap or in the AM The other day she just pooped in her dipe 'cause she didn't want to sit on the potty and DH knew she needed to go.
Today has been pretty good. She's even went to sit on the potty by herself when she needed to go poop !
So any tips tricks just kind words/stories that I can share with DH so he knows we aren't being deteramental to our DD.

Christy mommy to Alexia 12/27/06 AndLillian 7/10/09
Angel3167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: support through a pause/strike.

I know how frustrated you must be...and I know it's hard not to get upset. Just keep up with it, offering the potty when you know she needs to go and tell her what a good job she's doing when she goes on the potty. When she goes in her diaper, let you know where it's supposed to go, maybe bring her to the potty to show her what you mean...and leave it at that. I started "ECing" my daughter at 11 months, before I knew what EC was. She did really well for several months and then didn't want to at about 15 months. She then started up again at 18 months and was dry all day at 20 months.

I think sometimes it has to do with them just not wanting to do something because they know they have a choice, ya know?

The one thing you don't want to do is force her to sit on the potty...that can lead to her being scared of it or associating it with bad feelings. Maybe leave her diaper off when you know she has to go, and if she refuses to sit, put her somewhere that when she goes it will be an easy cleanup. We spent alot of time in the kitchen (hardwood floors) during my daughter's accident periods. I'd let her go diaper free and it really got her to realize what was happening.

Good luck!!!
Olivia ... Mommy to Natalie 12/31/05 and Garrett 2/04/08

Polliwogs Recycled Wool Slippers
ocanfield is offline   Reply With Quote