Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Sammymac'smamma
Registered Users

My Mood:
BF'ing twins?

I have a friend who is expecting twins this month, and they are her first. She is 100% into bf'ing them, but is nervous. Any tips for her?

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF'ing twins?

I haven't but my Mom has

She always says it is easiest to nurse both at the same time especially in the beginning (so you can get some rest )

There are a few Moms on here with Twins, hopefully they will chime in!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
lovemy3boys
FUN & MENTAL are Fundamental
seller

My Mood:

personally, for me it is easier to nurse them seperate, but that's because i have another boy to tend to, so i need a free hand. i would suggest a nursing pillow if she does nurse them together.. it can be dificult without something for support!

i didn't put my babies to the breast for the first 2 months.. i pumped that whole time, but once they were on the breast it was good to go! not as hard as people make it out to be, honestly. and it's much easier if you feed them either at the same time or one after the other because then you don't loose track and you aren't having to stop every 30 minutes to feed a baby.

i'm trying to think of as much as i can... but i'm drawing a blank. if i think of more stuff, i'll come back Just tell her that if she puts her mind to it, she can do it! i haven't wanted to stop even once and it really doesn't interupt life or anything for me. and tell her to pump even if she's not going to give them bottles right away. helps build up the supply and just store the milk in the freezer until they are using bottles. that will also make it easier if they have to leave them or want to go out and leave them with a babysitter and for those times when she is just too tired.. and in the begining, you have alot of those!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
texanntx
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
I haven't but my Mom has

She always says it is easiest to nurse both at the same time especially in the beginning (so you can get some rest )

There are a few Moms on here with Twins, hopefully they will chime in!
I found it hard to feed them both at the same time AT FIRST. Thank goodness, one of them was more patient than the other, and would wait! At the time, I had already nursed a singleton for 16 months, so, I was an ole pro, but it was still hard to get used to feeding two at the same time! I did eventually get it down, and yes, it freed up lots of time! I had to sit in a recliner (arms on both side), lay the one on the left with it's feet to the right, and the one on the right with it's feet to the right too. As they grow they end up laying on top of each other (didn't seem to bother them, it was ALL they knew!) LOL! I was able to breastfeed them for 18 months before I needed my freedom!!!! (meaning, I was tired of people pulling on me all day long, kids all day, huz all night! LOL!) TMI?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Sammymac'smamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the great tips, I'll pass them along!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

In the beginning, I fed mine one right after the other but was able to tandem nurse at around 6mo. I would also recommend a twin nursing pillow if she tandem nurses from the beginning, although I didn't need mine when they were a little older. Also, at night, I would bf which ever baby woke up first and then nurse the other who would only wake enough to eat and be right back to sleep. That saved a ton of night wakings. Keeping them on the same schedule was the best way to go IMO. Oh, I would switch the babies to a different breast with each feeding, too. Congrats to her!

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanntx View Post
I found it hard to feed them both at the same time AT FIRST. Thank goodness, one of them was more patient than the other, and would wait! At the time, I had already nursed a singleton for 16 months, so, I was an ole pro, but it was still hard to get used to feeding two at the same time! I did eventually get it down, and yes, it freed up lots of time! I had to sit in a recliner (arms on both side), lay the one on the left with it's feet to the right, and the one on the right with it's feet to the right too. As they grow they end up laying on top of each other (didn't seem to bother them, it was ALL they knew!)
LOl, that is what my Mom did.

The twins were #5 & #6 so she says the only option was to nurse both at once since she had 4 other little kids to take care of (we are all 2yrs apart)

I sadly remember us 4 running around her while she nursed and said "You will all be in trouble as soon as I am done!"
Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm two months into it... and already have a hard time remembering how it was in the beginning

I had to pump in addition to nursing to help get my milk in (c-section) and then I tandem nursed during the day and pumped the night feedings for the first two weeks so that others could help feed bottles at night. Soon though, I ran out of steam to both pump and nurse and we are now 100% nursing. I do pump to help reduce the force of my letdown in the mornings - just an ounce or so from each breast. I use this milk to mix their Probiotics in and give it to them by syringe because they refuse every bottle now.

If she wants help with feedings or plans on going to work outside the home, encourage her to do at least one bottle feeding a day.... I feel a little trapped these days since the girls will only have me. I know I'm blessed to be so successful with nursing and nursing twins!

That being said - I had extremely low milk supply with my first DD and this time around with the twins, I have a perfect abundance... so IT CAN BE DONE! I wish her the best of luck, and tell her to take it one day at a time - it doesn't have to be perfect from day one... it all works out somehow!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
I sadly remember us 4 running around her while she nursed and said "You will all be in trouble as soon as I am done!"
It's funny, my 2.5 year old knows she can get a way with the most while I'm nursing.. at least until I'm done! I'll have to use that line
Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanntx View Post
I found it hard to feed them both at the same time AT FIRST. Thank goodness, one of them was more patient than the other, and would wait! At the time, I had already nursed a singleton for 16 months, so, I was an ole pro, but it was still hard to get used to feeding two at the same time! I did eventually get it down, and yes, it freed up lots of time! I had to sit in a recliner (arms on both side), lay the one on the left with it's feet to the right, and the one on the right with it's feet to the right too. As they grow they end up laying on top of each other (didn't seem to bother them, it was ALL they knew!) LOL! I was able to breastfeed them for 18 months before I needed my freedom!!!! (meaning, I was tired of people pulling on me all day long, kids all day, huz all night! LOL!) TMI?

I'll have to try that position - I'm tired of being stuck behind the massive EZ Twin Nursing pillow. Thanks for the description!