Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Mamas, please help me figure out what to do

I am at my wits end I have twins girls that are 9 months old today & they can not tolerate any food, it seems. I have tried rice cereal, oatmeal cereal, bananas, avocados, pears, applesauce, sweet potato, carrots, yogurt and juice (apple and pear). Each of those foods has given them a rash.

Here's the background: My MIL & DH had been on me HARD to formula feed since they were 2 months old, I refused. They got a bad cold the last week in January & maintained, did not gain any weight for 1 1/2 weeks (almost 5 months old). The MIL was coming to town on Feb 14 & I knew she was going to start in again about their weight & my not making enough milk so I caved & started w rice cereal to try to get them to start gaining weight again. The girls loved the cereal. (I had originally wanted to wait to start food till April 15'ish - that would be 6 months old from their due date of Oct 15, they were 6 weeks early, born Sep 3).

So, one night we ran out of rice cereal, I mashed up a banana & gave it to them. Of course, they loved it. By easter, we had them up to bananas, avocados & plain yogurt - all organic & all homemade. BUT they were covered in rashes, especially in the diaper area, which the docs office & I originally thought was a bad yeast infection. Then they changed the diagnosis to eczema. They told me to do the steroid & eucerin bit, but I couldn't do it.

I finally couldn't take it anymore & pulled all food thinking it was food related. I planned to reintroduce everything to id the culprit & eliminate it. The only thing I didn't pull was the rice cereal. The rashes did not stop, the skin continued to look irritated, but to a lesser degree. So I started thinking maybe it was detergent & not food. I tried several diff detergents, changed my washing routine (to make sure we were washing & rinsing sufficiently), then went to sposies - the rash stayed

Next I tried homemade rice cereal instead of boxed & it got a little better but not completely. Every food I have tried to re-intro has caused a worsening of the rash. We are planning to see a new pedi & I have a call in to the nurse right now to ask what I should do. I am ready to pull EVERYTHING & just supplement a little formula. (I do not think I can ebf anymore, they nurse all day as it is.) Does this sound like a good idea? Is it possible for them to be sensitive to every food? My guess is their dig sys's are still immature & not yet ready for such complex molecules??? Please help!

eta - the rash is primarily in the diaper area, with just a bit of dry skin on the elbows & upper arms

Advertisement

Last edited by owensmommy; 06-03-2008 at 11:19 AM.
owensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Mamas, please help me figure out what to do

At this point I would be hesitant to think it was food because you started them on it and they didn't get the rashes until after the fact - most allergies show up within a week or two at the most (that's why they recommend waiting a week or two between giving new foods) - allergies to ALL foods would be very rare (but I guess not unheard of but that sounds kind of chancy to me).

If it were me I would try the Eucerin at least - it doesn't have any steroids in it. We had/have eczema too and I started using cetaphil to wash dd and then I use eucerin after - I did have to use cortaid (just a little mixed with the lotion) twice to get it to clear up but, since then she's been clear.

What do you wash dd in? Also, how often does she get a bath? I was told no more than 3 baths a week.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23girls View Post
At this point I would be hesitant to think it was food because you started them on it and they didn't get the rashes until after the fact - most allergies show up within a week or two at the most (that's why they recommend waiting a week or two between giving new foods) - allergies to ALL foods would be very rare (but I guess not unheard of but that sounds kind of chancy to me).

If it were me I would try the Eucerin at least - it doesn't have any steroids in it. We had/have eczema too and I started using cetaphil to wash dd and then I use eucerin after - I did have to use cortaid (just a little mixed with the lotion) twice to get it to clear up but, since then she's been clear.

What do you wash dd in? Also, how often does she get a bath? I was told no more than 3 baths a week.
I'm not sure I follow you, the rashes started w the introduction of the foods. As I pulled the foods, the rashes got better. They did not go away completely but got A LOT better. As I have tried to reintroduce the foods, the rashes have come back with each reintroduction. I wouldn't think food if they had gotten the rashes BEFORE the foods, but getting a rash after intro to a food leads me to think food reaction.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
All4Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is possible, also, that it is something that YOU are eating, not them.

I work for a doctor who is an allergist and she suggests Vanicream over Eucerin. It works wonders for her daughter who has horrible rashes all over her body (the rashes only come up if the Vanicream is not used for an extended period of time). The thing about any lotion is that you have to use it MULTIPLE times per day, not just once or twice.

Good luck, mama.

ETA: Do you use organic foods?

**PATENT PENDING DESIGN!**
All4Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

I was going to try vanicream, but it is petroleum based & I would rather not use that. I have tried emu oil, coconut oil, avalon massage oil & calendula cream. none of them have helped.

eta - if it were something i was eating, would it have started out of the blue. my diet was the same the first 5 months & they had no problems.

Last edited by owensmommy; 06-03-2008 at 11:07 AM.
owensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
All4Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmommy View Post
eta - if it were something i was eating, would it have started out of the blue. my diet was the same the first 5 months & they had no problems.
Just wondering, because sometimes we add in some things when the seasons change...like grapefruit or something like that.

ETA: What do you use to mix with the rice cereal? Breastmilk or formula? Water?

Last edited by All4Ella; 06-03-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
rlabelson
Registered Users

I second the vanicream. DD had a horrible rash and it was gone after 1 day of vanicream.

For your sanity, whynot give them formula once or twice a day? You can still BF, but then they are staying satisfied a bit longer and you can have some sanity back.

I'd definitely see an allergist, can your doctor refer you?

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
handmade accessories for moms and tots
rlabelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Ella View Post
Just wondering, because sometimes we add in some things when the seasons change...like grapefruit or something like that.

ETA: What do you use to mix with the rice cereal? Breastmilk or formula? Water?
I was using water, but then started adding bm hoping that it would aid in the digestion of the rice
Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlabelson View Post
I second the vanicream. DD had a horrible rash and it was gone after 1 day of vanicream.

For your sanity, whynot give them formula once or twice a day? You can still BF, but then they are staying satisfied a bit longer and you can have some sanity back.

I'd definitely see an allergist, can your doctor refer you?
I actually tried the vanicream for a bit & it didn't do anything. I did not want to continue to expose them to the petroleum if it wasn't helping. I have done steroids 2x & it works but as soon as I stop, it comes right back I just can not use steroid in the diaper area. The other thing is, I do not want to simply cover up the prob, I would rather eliminate the cause, kwim?

I am hoping this new pedi will help or refer to an allergist. Our old pedi would not offer any help other than steroids & eucerin w 2 baths a week. When I mentioned alternative treatments & told him I was not comfortable w steroid creams in the diaper area, he said he "...did not want to argue w me all day". Jerk. We're not going back.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
All4Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you use water to thin the bananas and other foods?

How long did you wait when you stopped everything before starting something again? (Does that make sense?)