Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
All4Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas, please help me figure out what to do

Is there a naturopath in your area willing to consult with you?

Advertisement

**PATENT PENDING DESIGN!**
All4Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe I missed this part, but did you actually cut out rice? maybe that is the culprit...I would cut out ALL food and start again, supplement with formula if you have to. And def see an allergist.
and BOO!! to the ped who wouldn't discuss alternatives?!? I'd be seeking a new doc like, yesterday!!

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Ella View Post
Do you use water to thin the bananas and other foods?

How long did you wait when you stopped everything before starting something again? (Does that make sense?)

No, just did straight bananas. Then straight avos. Then straight yogurt added to the straight banana. Then combined all 3. The juice was diluted to approx 2-3 oz water to 1 oz juice. I waited approx 4 weeks before trying again. Then pulled everything again & waited another 2 weeks. I just tried sweet potatoes again 2 days ago & the rash worsened on both babies. The only food we have given throughout is the rice cereal, could it be the rice?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #14
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Another question, if it is the rice, will a rice based formula have the same effect? I was going to try Earth's Best, but their DHA/ARA is from the "crappy source" recently noted for neurological probs. I found Baby's Only Organic formula w DHA/ARA from a "safer" source, but it is brown rice syrup based.

Also, how do I know if I should use milk-based or soy based formula? It seems that most milk based formulas contain soy
http://www.naturesone.com/dairy-ingredients.php
Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
All4Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmommy View Post
Another question, if it is the rice, will a rice based formula have the same effect? I was going to try Earth's Best, but their DHA/ARA is from the "crappy source" recently noted for neurological probs. I found Baby's Only Organic formula w DHA/ARA from a "safer" source, but it is brown rice syrup based.

Also, how do I know if I should use milk-based or soy based formula? It seems that most milk based formulas contain soy
http://www.naturesone.com/dairy-ingredients.php
Probably.

Soy based formulas contain no milk what-so-ever. DD has a dairy allergy, so soy is all that we can give her.

**PATENT PENDING DESIGN!**
All4Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #16
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry I was confusing I thought that later down in your post I was reading that you had started and then it became an issue.

I'm not sure if Triple Paste has petrolum in it or not but we have good results with it too - did you say what you were bathing her with or what you were using for wipes? Did any of those things change?

If it is the rice then Alimentum is another option for formula - it's got a corn base rather than a dairy base.

What about the DHA - could it maybe be that?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #17
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Take her off the rice. If the rash and the rice has been present throughout, it may have started with the rice and then gotten worse with the introduction of other foods even though the main culprit is the rice. They may have a grain allergy, which is notorious for eczema-like rashes.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Bath soap is avalon organics, wipes homemade soln of water, aloe juice & GSE.

I am going to pull the rice cereal. Should I give formula instead? What kind? I do not think we can ebf, we need something in addition to the bm.

Last edited by owensmommy; 06-03-2008 at 02:36 PM.
owensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #19
megviolet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quite likely could be the rice, so definitely stop the cereal (and any other grains) for now.
No reason to add formula to top them up unless it is because you feel you can't/don't want to EBF. Giving them extra formula isn't going to give them anything more or better than breast milk, it's only going to replace, not add to the diet.... kwim?
You should for sure get them allergy tested so you know one way or the other- good luck!

Oh, do you pump? Maybe pumping bottles would help you get a break if you just need to get them of your boobs all day
Mama to ~Elizabeth Melody~ since May 2007 and expecting Baby #2 June/July 2010!
Bwing-BFing-CDing-CoSleeping-NonVaxing SAHM
Canadian
megviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #20
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megviolet View Post
Quite likely could be the rice, so definitely stop the cereal (and any other grains) for now.
No reason to add formula to top them up unless it is because you feel you can't/don't want to EBF. Giving them extra formula isn't going to give them anything more or better than breast milk, it's only going to replace, not add to the diet.... kwim?
You should for sure get them allergy tested so you know one way or the other- good luck!

Oh, do you pump? Maybe pumping bottles would help you get a break if you just need to get them of your boobs all day
we didn't give rice cereal last night, just to see if i could solely bf & get away with no added foods, we were up all night with one or the other. i do not want to give formula, but need something to replace those 2 bowls of rice cereal every day or i will do nothing but nurse! i do pump to add milk to the homemade rice cereal & have sometimes pumped to have bottles avail so I can leave for short sanity outings , but do not pump on a daily basis.

oddly enough, i started making my own rice cereal last week & noticed their rashes got slightly better. then we got busy & i used the boxed cereal again on saturday, the rash started coming back. i stopped using the boxed & started making my own again on sunday, but i also tried to give sweet potatoes again on sunday. i noticed the red anal ring yesterday, after their sweet potato poops. but the twin that has the more severe rash just woke up from her nap & i notice the sweet potato ring is still there, but the other spots look so much better i wonder if it could be an additive in the rice cereal causing this? (since the rash seems to get a little better when i make my own cereal.) is that a possibility?