Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #21
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "How long are you going to breastfeed?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbugmom View Post
"Why, do you want some?" That will usually quiet them up.

Serious answer:

"Until he's finished."
I love that!!!

Advertisement

Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #22
max's mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I couldn't stand that question, either! I nursed my firstborn until he self-weaned at almost 3 years. I'll let our second decide how long he wants to nurse as well.
I'm not sure the exact reason why people out there are so concerned with how long we nurse our babies. I have an opinion that it's because our particular culture has sexualized the breast so much. Instead of it being a nurturing, healthy, natural thing to so, the breast is seen as a sexual image, so inappropriate for a child to be latched on to.
This way of seeing the breast and/or breastfeeding does not exist in every culture. Some people grow up watching their grandmother, mothers, sisters nursing and it's just the way things are.
In our country, we hide the breast, make it taboo and forbidden.
That's why people are wierded out by it.
Last year in our city, a man filed a formal complain against a woman nursing her baby in a health club childcare room (he had gone in to pick up his own child). He actually stated that the woman nursing her baby in front of all of the other children in the room was just as if she were having sex in front of them. Can you believe that? What kind of freak is that guy? Someone who likens breastfeeding to intercourse?
Hence, I think when people ask us why so long.....it's that if we keep it up "too long" or with an older child, it's somehow inappropriate.

Mom to Maxwell (6/04) and Hugo (12/07) . Happily married to the most amazing husband EVER, Mark
max's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #23
prairiegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well, I nursed ods until he self weaned at 3 yrs, and so far with our newest little blessing, it's been 7 mths.....and plan on many more as he will self wean too. my inlaws gave me crap too.....but they can just mind their own buisness because it is just not their choice
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #24
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

AMEN! lol - My MIL is asking me about it all the time or making comments on it.... I've learned to just ignore or come back with a serious note "Until she's 2, unless she self-weans b4 then, because it's what WHO recommends as the minimum." - and the first few rounds with that reply, she came back with how advanced formulas are and this is not some third world country. She has continually told me she thought it was "sick" and "disgusting" for a mother to breastfeed so long that their kid can ask for it or is lifting up the momma's shirt for themselves.......... she bf'd dh for 6 months and thinks that was like forever or something............ grrr............i gotta hush b4 i get myself all tore up about it..........
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #25
Jubilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mommy View Post
I couldn't stand that question, either! I nursed my firstborn until he self-weaned at almost 3 years. I'll let our second decide how long he wants to nurse as well.
I'm not sure the exact reason why people out there are so concerned with how long we nurse our babies. I have an opinion that it's because our particular culture has sexualized the breast so much. Instead of it being a nurturing, healthy, natural thing to so, the breast is seen as a sexual image, so inappropriate for a child to be latched on to.
This way of seeing the breast and/or breastfeeding does not exist in every culture. Some people grow up watching their grandmother, mothers, sisters nursing and it's just the way things are.
In our country, we hide the breast, make it taboo and forbidden.
That's why people are wierded out by it.
Last year in our city, a man filed a formal complain against a woman nursing her baby in a health club childcare room (he had gone in to pick up his own child). He actually stated that the woman nursing her baby in front of all of the other children in the room was just as if she were having sex in front of them. Can you believe that? What kind of freak is that guy? Someone who likens breastfeeding to intercourse?
Hence, I think when people ask us why so long.....it's that if we keep it up "too long" or with an older child, it's somehow inappropriate.
I completely agree with you and I think this is it 95% of cases!

It also bothers me but since I didn't BF with DD1 due to all the pressure and comments, when I decided to BF DD2 I don't think anyone thought I would stick by it beyond a couple days, and I usually answered them with open-ended answers since I didn't know how I was going to do as well (ie. "I'll try it for at least a few days at first" etc) Now that I'm doing it, LOVING IT still 4 mos. later, I get asked occasionally how long we plan on continuing but I usually just blow them off.
and full-time student.
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #26
my4cubbies
Registered Users
seller

I get this from my mom all the time. As soon as he bit me the first time and I happened to be on the phone with her when he did it, she started saying I should wean. She babysat for me a couple nights ago and made a snide comment to my sister that he cried so much because he nurses. She stuck up for me though and said "No, he cries because he doesn't like you."
my4cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #27
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

i get this all the time, we are @ 12 mos and 2 1/2 weeks. & no end in sight w/ DS! our families are either pro or con w/ Bfing so i get it on both sides. or the "you better cut him off soon" "looks like he is addicted" BS, it may be another year and so what? if it works we will feed.

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #28
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read the whole thread...

but with my MIL and SIL, I just quoted the WHO and APA guidelines on breastfeeding which are 2 years (WHO) and 1 year (APA) "or as long as mama and baby are happy with it."

they kept asking for awhile, but then my DH let them have it about the guidelines and they knocked it off.

Just be confident and happy with your decision and "confused" as to why they are not okay with your decision.

My DD is almost 16 months and I'm 9 weeks pregnant with our next one and my MIL has decided that this is a great thing that I'm still BFing! (She really is a good goose, she just didn't BF so she doesn't understand it!)
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #29
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

I hear you! I get asked that every so often. I go with the "don't ask, don't tell" method.

TTYL
Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #30
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylouhoo View Post
Ugh, I HATE this question! MIL asked me this the other day and when I responded, "indefinitely," she winced. Why are some people so concerned with how long a mama is going to BF?
Because they're idjits who can't mind their own business and think they know better than you.

Seriously. BTDT. Just made it an off limits topic.