View Poll Results: Why do you cloth diaper?
To save money 143 61.64%
To help save the earth 150 64.66%
Better for their skin / sensitive skin 130 56.03%
To avoid chemicals 135 58.19%
Cause they're so cute!!! 124 53.45%
Other, please explain 10 4.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
lhowlett
Registered Users
seller

Why do you cloth diaper?

I feel bad. I've been cding DS for 2 years now, and just had a new baby girl who's 5 weeks old who I've also been cding. A lot of people have been asking me why I cloth diaper, and sometimes it's hard to tell myself why I do and why I decided all this work (sometimes it does feel like work) was worth it. I wanted to help with whatever I could to not fill up the landfills, DS's skin seems to do better in cloth (she doesn't seem to have such senstitive skin though), they're super cute, and I've had fun making them, oh and the saving money thing. But for some reason it hasn't seemed totally worth it. I've been using disposables when we go out and that just seems so much easier sometimes.
DS doesn't seem that difficult to CD because he only uses like 4-5 a day, but she goes through a diaper an hour easy.
Anyway, just curious what keeps others motivated.

ETA - you can select more than 1 answer in the poll :-)

Advertisement

Last edited by lhowlett; 06-04-2008 at 09:07 AM.
lhowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do you cloth diaper?

I constantly feel guilty about using sposies too....seems like lately Ive been using sooo many. But in the end...its because Id like to think that taking one diaper out of a landfill will really make a difference. Plus...if hard times ever come....at least I have options.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
mom2knights
Registered Users

Not having to spend grocery money on diapers keeps me motivated! Used sposies on DS#1 and I can't tell you how many times I went to the store (at the end of the week) for milk and diapers with only enough money to buy one of them! Talk about having to make a stressful decision!
mom2knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

A friend of mine started CDing because of the cost, she's a SAHM and uses prefolds and covers. The cost and not filling up the landfill worked for them. She started talking more and more about it and I decided to give it a try. While researching and waiting for my starter kit, DD started to get massive diaper rash. The diaper rash ended up getting completely out of control and was painful to look at When my starter kit showed up and was prewashed, we tried putting DD in them and the diaper rash immediately went away. Turns out at 4 months she developed an allergy/intolerance to disposibles. We haven't turned back since.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

I chose all of them except the 'Other' option.
Our primary reason was to save money, but once I got here and actually started buying CD's, researching the alternatives, and becoming truly informed, I started doing it for all the other reasons, too.
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of the above, baby
threestraycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
proudmommaof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just started and am only doing it part time right now (as much as I can get through in a day). I started thinking about it when a friend on another board was selling some dipes. I got to talking to her and then when we found out we were expecting a surprise baby I really started to think about it because now I will have 2 in diapers again and the thought of spending sooo much on sposie's really freaked me out. Ds has suffered horrible rashes since birth and I must say my dermatologist suggested this to me awhile ago but I really didn't think it was for us. Now I wish I would have switched earlier.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

lol, i voted all of the above, too! (with the exeption of "other")
Hi! I'm Dawn. Wife and no label mama to my men ages 20, 12, 8 and 4 years old.Catholic God seeker. Homeschooling mama. Part time STAT and PICC RN. College Student (again). Volunteer with the MORELove Project and Union Gospel Mission.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
tfjjmc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I checked all except one. It started out because of money, but it has just grown from there. KWIM
tfjjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
melissa5
Registered Users
seller

I read that article in the Parents magazine about cloth diapers a few months back and thought that cloth diapering was just not for me. A few months later when i recieved another issue of parents and read all the responses from clothdiapering parents i decided that i would look into it. After 10 minutes on the computer i decided that i wanted to order some. I love cloth diapering. I haven't saved any money YET because they are all so cute!
melissa5 is offline   Reply With Quote