Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Apparently I'm crazy b/c I won't use formula...

Warning....long rant ahead!
My SIL and DH are driving me crazy! DS has REALLY bad reflux, wasn't gaining weight etc. and they are both on me to give him formula to see if it helps at all. I was doing no dairy for awhile and it did help but now that DS is on a medication that is working, when I eat dairy, it doesn't affect him. DH is still on me about eating dairy, SIL (who says she never wants to bf btw and wouldn't even try) is just pushing and pushing the subject. We were at the store over the weekend and she says heres some Hypo allergenic formula, why don't you try this.

I tell them over and over there is absolutley NO reason for ds to be given formula. If I thought it was something in my diet I would stop eating wheat and gluten and dairy before I would give him formula. Apparently SIL thinks that is an unrealistic thing to do... DH doesn't see the harm in giving it to him temporarily to see if it is something in my diet and the formula makes it better. His solution is to just pump for a couple of days. WTH?!? He doens't seem to understand that I can't pump as much as ds eats! He thinks it's an everflowing fountain of breast milk! So many reasons I want to do off on DH right now, especially since he's usually such a strong supporter of bfing!

Anyone else have crazy family members who JUST DONT GET IT?!? What do you tell them?

Advertisement

ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:
Re: Apparently I'm crazy b/c I won't use formula...

Sooo sorry Mama! Ugh. People use to suggest giving DS cereal, even at a couple of weeks old. My MIL suggested cereal, and I honestly said "Absolutely not, he doesn't need it." Now she commends me for what I'm doing for her grandson.

When I would be crying from lack of sleep those first few weeks DH suggested using a little formula. He was trying to help. I just told him, the first two weeks are the hardest. I just gotta get thru the first two weeks. (note sure where you are?)

BFing isn't easy, but we do it because it's best for our kids. I would just get a bunch of facts of the benefits of bfing over formula (http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great resource.), and just continuously talk about: "I'm so glad I decided to bf, did you know that studies show...

My DS is ebf'ed, he's a whoping 16lbs @ 4.5 months. Breastmilk is enough!

Maybe get some bfing books (local library maybe) and keep them around the house. Maybe start going to local La Leche league meetings. That would show DH and SIL just how important it is to you.

Get a bfing tshirt!

Lastly, I would talk to your husband. Tell him how important bfing is to you and give him the reasons why. Ask him to support you, and to talk to his sister.

Good luck mama, please let us know what happens. HUGS! YOU ARE AMAZING!

eta: BENEFITS: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...bfbenefits.pdf

Last edited by proudmama4; 06-03-2008 at 11:22 AM.
proudmama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My whole family doesn't get the bfing.
Sorry you are having to go through this.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
mommy2psfe06
Registered Users

My Mood:

i deal w/it all the time especially since dh isnt & never has been a supporter o my decision to bf my dd & 1 hit 21mnths yesterday & still going strong
Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

stay strong, mama!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have your Dh amd SIL read this.

Similac Alimentum Hypoallergenic Formula

Ingredients
Corn Maltodextrin 35.5% , Casein Hydrolysate Derived from Milk - 17.5% , Sugar Sucrose - 14.5% , High Oleic Safflower Oil 9.7% , Medium Chain Triglycerides 9.5% , Soy Oil 8.0% , C. Cohnii Oil Less than 2% - a Source of Docosahexaenoic Acid - DHA , M. Alpina Oil Less than 2% - a Source of Arachidonic Acid - ARA , Calcium Phosphate Less than 2% , Datem Less than 2% , Potassium Citrate Less than 2% , Xanthan Gum Less than 2% , Magnesium Chloride Less than 2% , Monoglycerides Less than 2% , Sodium Chloride Less than 2% , Ascorbic Acid Less than 2% , L-Cystine Dihydrochloride Less than 2% , Calcium Carbonate Less than 2% , L-Tyrosine Less than 2% , Potassium Chloride Less than 2% , Choline Chloride Less than 2% , Ferrous Sulfate Less than 2% , L-Tryptophan Less than 2% , Taurine Less than 2% , M-Inositol Less than 2% , Ascorbyl Palmitate Less than 2% , DL-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate Less than 2% , Zinc Sulfate Less than 2% , L-Carnitine Less than 2% , Niacinamide Less than 2% , Mixed Tocopherols Less than 2% , Calcium Pantothenate Less than 2% , Cupric Sulfate Less than 2% , Vitamin A Palmitate Less than 2% , Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride Less than 2% , Riboflavin Less than 2% , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride Less than 2% , Folic Acid Less than 2% , Potassium Iodide Less than 2% , Potassium Hydroxide Less than 2% , Phylloquinone Less than 2% , Biotin Less than 2% , Sodium Selenate Less than 2% , Vitamin D3 Less than 2% , Cyanocobalamin Less than 2%

and ask him if it sounds like something he wants to feed his baby
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll excuse your DH. If he's like mine, he's just trying to solve the perceived problem.

Your SIL, on the other hand, can go jump in the lake.

You're doing good Mama.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
Have your Dh amd SIL read this.

Similac Alimentum Hypoallergenic Formula

Ingredients
Corn Maltodextrin 35.5% , Casein Hydrolysate Derived from Milk - 17.5% , Sugar Sucrose - 14.5% , High Oleic Safflower Oil 9.7% , Medium Chain Triglycerides 9.5% , Soy Oil 8.0% , C. Cohnii Oil Less than 2% - a Source of Docosahexaenoic Acid - DHA , M. Alpina Oil Less than 2% - a Source of Arachidonic Acid - ARA , Calcium Phosphate Less than 2% , Datem Less than 2% , Potassium Citrate Less than 2% , Xanthan Gum Less than 2% , Magnesium Chloride Less than 2% , Monoglycerides Less than 2% , Sodium Chloride Less than 2% , Ascorbic Acid Less than 2% , L-Cystine Dihydrochloride Less than 2% , Calcium Carbonate Less than 2% , L-Tyrosine Less than 2% , Potassium Chloride Less than 2% , Choline Chloride Less than 2% , Ferrous Sulfate Less than 2% , L-Tryptophan Less than 2% , Taurine Less than 2% , M-Inositol Less than 2% , Ascorbyl Palmitate Less than 2% , DL-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate Less than 2% , Zinc Sulfate Less than 2% , L-Carnitine Less than 2% , Niacinamide Less than 2% , Mixed Tocopherols Less than 2% , Calcium Pantothenate Less than 2% , Cupric Sulfate Less than 2% , Vitamin A Palmitate Less than 2% , Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride Less than 2% , Riboflavin Less than 2% , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride Less than 2% , Folic Acid Less than 2% , Potassium Iodide Less than 2% , Potassium Hydroxide Less than 2% , Phylloquinone Less than 2% , Biotin Less than 2% , Sodium Selenate Less than 2% , Vitamin D3 Less than 2% , Cyanocobalamin Less than 2%

and ask him if it sounds like something he wants to feed his baby
THANK YOU!! This is exactly what I need to show DH...SIL wouldn't care, that's pretty much her and her dd's diet anyway...sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by togg_mama View Post
I'll excuse your DH. If he's like mine, he's just trying to solve the perceived problem.

Your SIL, on the other hand, can go jump in the lake.

You're doing good Mama.
HAHA! Thank you mama! DH is trying to help solve the problem but is too stubborn to realize that formula is not the way to do it...SIL DOES need to go jump in the lake!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenney View Post
Sooo sorry Mama! Ugh. People use to suggest giving DS cereal, even at a couple of weeks old. My MIL suggested cereal, and I honestly said "Absolutely not, he doesn't need it." Now she commends me for what I'm doing for her grandson.

When I would be crying from lack of sleep those first few weeks DH suggested using a little formula. He was trying to help. I just told him, the first two weeks are the hardest. I just gotta get thru the first two weeks. (note sure where you are?)

BFing isn't easy, but we do it because it's best for our kids. I would just get a bunch of facts of the benefits of bfing over formula (http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great resource.), and just continuously talk about: "I'm so glad I decided to bf, did you know that studies show...

My DS is ebf'ed, he's a whoping 16lbs @ 4.5 months. Breastmilk is enough!

Maybe get some bfing books (local library maybe) and keep them around the house. Maybe start going to local La Leche league meetings. That would show DH and SIL just how important it is to you.

Get a bfing tshirt!

Lastly, I would talk to your husband. Tell him how important bfing is to you and give him the reasons why. Ask him to support you, and to talk to his sister.

Good luck mama, please let us know what happens. HUGS! YOU ARE AMAZING!

eta: BENEFITS: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...bfbenefits.pdf
Thank you so much for those resources! DS is 4 months and barely 11lbs. but is definately gaining more due to his new meds. Both of the drs we are seeing for his reflux have both told me to continue breastfeeding!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm.thomas View Post
Thank you so much for those resources! DS is 4 months and barely 11lbs. but is definately gaining more due to his new meds. Both of the drs we are seeing for his reflux have both told me to continue breastfeeding!
Tell your SIL:

"DS' trained doctors said to keep breastfeeding so I think we'll stick with the professionals' opinion!"

As for your DH, well... tell him to come to the doctor appointments with you if he has any questions. Sometimes hearing it directly from them helps!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote