Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
wendyroo2001's Avatar
wendyroo2001
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,506
My Mood:
Re: question about breast pumps

I second the medela single electric, if you can't get your hands on a good used PIS, they work fine for occasional use.

Advertisement

__________________
Wendy, wife to DH '04 , WaHMy to DD '07, DD Oct. '08, and DS '11.
wendyroo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
odentonmom's Avatar
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,748
My Mood:
Re: question about breast pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecat1974 View Post
Not to cause any controversy or hijack, but I wanted to toss out a piece of information about the Breast Milk Project. It is run by Prolacta. Only 25% of the donated milk is actually sent to babies. The other 75% they keep and make human milk fortifier which they sell to hospitals for use in the NICUs. Here is the info on their FAQs. So, while some of the donated milk is going to babies who need it, the majority is being used for them to produce a product that they are profiting from.

There is some information about it here and it quotes an article from Salon.com on the issue.
http://thelactivist.blogspot.com/sea...0and%20Sharing

On the other hand, the HMBANA milk banks truly are non-profit. But, because of that, I doubt they can afford to give away pumps.
http://www.hmbana.org/index.php?mode=locations

I know the original post is about The Breast Milk Project giving a free pump and that is true. So, I am not discouraging anyone from signing up and I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes. I just wanted to make sure that the 25%/75% thing was mentioned.
__________________
Christine, Wife to Reggie & BFing, BWing, CDing Mama to 4 great kids!
RJ (11y),Christian (8y),Olivia (4y)&Colin (2y Hirschsprung's Disease)
Au Pair in America - Live-in child care with a cultural flair.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #13
EmmysDiscoMomma
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jeffersonville, IN
Posts: 87
My Mood:
Re: question about breast pumps

I got my Medela Pump in Style Advanced on ebay. I love it! Works great! It was used but everything that touches the milk was brand new (you can also buy a new pump kit (the tubes, etc) from babies r us for a little over 25.00). The Medela bottles are also BPA free.
EmmysDiscoMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,074
My Mood:
Re: question about breast pumps

from the breastmilkproject.org website:
"The remaining 75% of donated milk will be processed by Prolacta to make pasteurized human milk and to create the only available human milk fortifier made from 100% human milk, H2MF, for premature and critically ill babies in neonatal intensive care units in the U.S. "

It doesn't go to research.
__________________
Kimberly, Mom to Rory III (July '03) and Killian (9/3/07).
Come buy my custom fit soakers!
spacecat1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
mpink22's Avatar
mpink22
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex Junction, VT
Posts: 2,050
My Mood:
Re: question about breast pumps

I have an Ameda Purely Yours pump and I love it! The Lansinoh pump is the same pump and I think it can be found at Target pretty inexpensively. Just another alternative!
__________________
Emily - Mom to Joe (7/07) and tiny guy Adam (5/12), Wife to David ISO: OBV fitteds, aplix freetimes, amazon gc, Signing Time DVDs, WAHM baby lotion/wash, shea butter, infant Kinderpack, shorties
mpink22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
kissum's Avatar
kissum
Registered User
sitesupporter
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington, DC suburbs
Posts: 6,030
My Mood:
Re: question about breast pumps

I bought a lansinoh when my pump n style motor died and I LOVED it. I think it's $99, and it worked just as well as the pump in style.

ETA: it's this one, although it looks like the price has gone up.
http://www.target.com/Lansinoh-Doubl...%20pump&page=3
__________________
Ali, mama to 3 amazing monkeys.
Enjoying every day with the love of my life
Selling NON TOXIC EVERYTHING (Yes, it's CD safe!)

Last edited by kissum; 06-06-2008 at 12:22 PM.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.