Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #21
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: milk or formula.....wwyd?

Hon, that behavior is TOTALLY normal. My DS likes to 'camp out' in the evenings too and it has nothing whatsoever to do with being unsatisfied. It's how he unwinds after his day. Forces me to take it easy.

if he's going down for a 12 hour stretch that is going to have a negative impact on your supply. I'd say go to bed earlier with him and just snooze while he snacks. Your supply will pick up and you'll be more rested. Just pop him in the crook of your arm and he'll do the rest. Pumping three times at night isn't good for you and milk supply is lowest at night anyway which affects your output.

or, in short... Just bring him to bed with you. Or make your DH bring him in for feedings and nap with him from 7-9pm.

The baby sleeps with me and DH, so when I get up for work in the morning DH will just snuggle up with DS and they both get a little extra sleep.

Advertisement

Last edited by spacecat1974; 06-04-2008 at 09:24 PM.
spacecat1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Given the two options, I would go for a non-DHA/ARA formula.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #23
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're in Canada so they say you can start introducing cow's milk from 9 or 10 months. Ask your doctor, especially if it is one bottle every couple days, as he gets older you might want to slowly switch to cow's milk. Our little one is breastfed and when pumping was getting hard and I was wanting to stop, we started with cow's milk, but that was 13 months, so a bit different than you.

Some babies will eat more than others! My mum could never work out how come I'd leave her with 4 - 5 ounce bottles for our little one who was big for her age. My sister and I (me more so!) took 8 ounce bottles from very early on...
Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #24
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecat1974 View Post
Hon, that behavior is TOTALLY normal. My DS likes to 'camp out' in the evenings too and it has nothing whatsoever to do with being unsatisfied. It's how he unwinds after his day. Forces me to take it easy.

if he's going down for a 12 hour stretch that is going to have a negative impact on your supply. I'd say go to bed earlier with him and just snooze while he snacks. Your supply will pick up and you'll be more rested. Just pop him in the crook of your arm and he'll do the rest. Pumping three times at night isn't good for you and milk supply is lowest at night anyway which affects your output.

or, in short... Just bring him to bed with you. Or make your DH bring him in for feedings and nap with him from 7-9pm.

The baby sleeps with me and DH, so when I get up for work in the morning DH will just snuggle up with DS and they both get a little extra sleep.
I really can't do that all the time.....I could try it occasionally but I also go grocery shopping at night at 7 pm and leave hubby with kids and I'm back in time to pump.....or sometimes I even go to a movie or whatever so I am happier not bf him at that time. I love my nights for cleaning, sewing, coming on ds to chat and I just need my time away from the kids.....my son is really high maintenence and nights is when I regroup and try and regain sanity for the next day with him. I was thinking of trying this again pumping once say 930 pm and going to bed (I still have from 7-1030 for myself) and setting my alarm for 2pm and pumping then and then ds eats at 7 so the night feeds are 5ish hours apart (I should in theory get 8 hours sleep) and "my time" and then when ds feeds in am I should be rested enough to pump 1 side while he eats on the other.

I was doing that at one time for a few weeks but I got lazy on setting my alarm!! I think I may try that tonight and for the next few nights.

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #25
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

my youngest dd from about 6 months on would take 7-8 oz of formula 4 times a day, at breakfast, lunch dinner and bedtime, even at a year it's still close to the same except she is getting other liquids in addition to the bottles in a sippy at meal time, and then I skip the afternoon bottle.

It is not bad for your lo to want 8oz or for him to sleep all night long, all of my kids are just fine for sleeping at night and I'm a happier mommy for it For you to stress out over 1 bottle is not going to help things. I would give him a bottle of formula, or half and half with bm. If my dh had been willing to give our children a bottle and give me free time I'd have taken him up on it too! So don't feel bad about it, and enjoy your husbands willingness to help out, and understand that everyone is made differently and some people just have more milk and can keep up with the growing demands (I couldn't, I start to dry up at about 4 months post partum, but I sure give it all I've got until the point that they are sucking all day long and getting drops! and then I ff because I know that I did what I could physically do, and thank God for creating formula so I could have something that could help my children be fed when my body gives up)
Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #26
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachaelbee View Post
my youngest dd from about 6 months on would take 7-8 oz of formula 4 times a day, at breakfast, lunch dinner and bedtime, even at a year it's still close to the same except she is getting other liquids in addition to the bottles in a sippy at meal time, and then I skip the afternoon bottle.

It is not bad for your lo to want 8oz or for him to sleep all night long, all of my kids are just fine for sleeping at night and I'm a happier mommy for it For you to stress out over 1 bottle is not going to help things. I would give him a bottle of formula, or half and half with bm. If my dh had been willing to give our children a bottle and give me free time I'd have taken him up on it too! So don't feel bad about it, and enjoy your husbands willingness to help out, and understand that everyone is made differently and some people just have more milk and can keep up with the growing demands (I couldn't, I start to dry up at about 4 months post partum, but I sure give it all I've got until the point that they are sucking all day long and getting drops! and then I ff because I know that I did what I could physically do, and thank God for creating formula so I could have something that could help my children be fed when my body gives up)
thanks mama for your kind words.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #27
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you move the grocery shopping/movies/mama time to a bit later? I know that I can count on DS sleeping for at least a little while before his next feeding after his camp out session.

The 2am pumping session isn't a bad idea. Better than your current schedule. AND might keep AF away longer if she hasn't restarted.

Heck, even if you can't do it every day it'll reduce your sleep debt. That's a good thing.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #28
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecat1974 View Post
Can you move the grocery shopping/movies/mama time to a bit later? I know that I can count on DS sleeping for at least a little while before his next feeding after his camp out session.

The 2am pumping session isn't a bad idea. Better than your current schedule. AND might keep AF away longer if she hasn't restarted.

Heck, even if you can't do it every day it'll reduce your sleep debt. That's a good thing.
I never did stop having a period!! 9 weeks pp bleeding and regular 28 day cycle since.....I got ripped off!!

I like my time/shopping time early since I have more options as to what to do. grocery stores don't stay open so late and if I want to visit people I want to do it at a normalish time kwim? anyway i am gonna see how this new thing works.....I just pumped 1 hour and got 4 oz.....so now off to bed till say 3 am and I'll try again and then I'll pump at 7ish while feeding ds and see how this goes......I have hope!!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #29
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

does he still nurse often during the day? If you need to get 8 oz in a day but don't want to spend forever pumping, have you tried to see what you can do with a milk collector shield on one side while you're nursing? I used to do that because I didn't want to pump while nursing but was trying to build up a freezer stash (. super slowly, lol), and could usually get 2oz just with the shield while feeding him because of let down. I'd keep an eye on it, and then have a bottle (with one of the breastshields from the pump in it as a funnel) beside me and would do a quick empty and put it back on. It sounds weird, but whatever. It also really helped with engorgement in the beginning, as well as helped up my supply. Even if you just get an ounce from it, you do that 4 times a day while you're already feeding him, and you already have cut down your pumping by half.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #30
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickieboggs View Post
I never did stop having a period!! 9 weeks pp bleeding and regular 28 day cycle since.....I got ripped off!!

I like my time/shopping time early since I have more options as to what to do. grocery stores don't stay open so late and if I want to visit people I want to do it at a normalish time kwim? anyway i am gonna see how this new thing works.....I just pumped 1 hour and got 4 oz.....so now off to bed till say 3 am and I'll try again and then I'll pump at 7ish while feeding ds and see how this goes......I have hope!!
I'm so sorry. AF didn't come back until ods was almost 2. This time, 9mos and counting and she still hasn't reared her ugly head. I guess I'm a bit spoiled out here as the stores/movies/whatnot are open later.

I bet you'll get lots of milk at 3am. The milk producing hormones are higher in the morning. GL!