Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Juice or water? Bottles?

My daughter is 8 months old and is doing great nursing. I have no intentions of stopping yet. But I was wondering if anyone gives their LO's baby juice or water? DD will not drink from a bottle AT ALL, and I'm totally fine with that. I've noticed that some of you say that you've given your LO's water at times. So how do you go about doing it? Once they are a year old, do you give sippy cups? DD is my second, but my first to nurse, so I'm new to all of this. I only ask because I want to know what to expect when DD decides to wean(which, hopefully isn't anytime soon).

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
Re: Juice or water? Bottles?

*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 07-19-2011 at 08:37 PM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
kugrinic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is the same age and is EBF as well, he will drink small amounts of diluted juice and water out of sippy cups and straws. Its really funny to see such a small babe slurping down water LOL
Old 06-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

We did water in a sippy starting at about 6mo, I don't think DD ever got much out of it until she was about 8mo, but she loved trying. I would also give her a regular cup with a teeny tiny bit of water in it so she could actually have a drink but not drown or spill everywhere. We never did juice. DD loves water still and will only drink a few ounces of anything else. I would skip the juice personally, atleast for a while.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok! I'll try the soft spout sippy cups! I kept bottles on hand just in case, so now I have these bottles and will probably end up selling them. When I tried to give Keira the bottle, she looked at me like I was nuts LOL

I won't add juice to her diet yet. I did try it once, she wasn't interested so I left it at that. She's perfectly happy with breast milk! She does get baby foods, but sometimes she doesn't even want those. And I'm ok with that,because usually, she just wants to nurse and that suffices her.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
handrew123
Registered
seller

My Mood:

My ped told me that DD should have water if she is eating solids. I have given her a sippy cup since she was 5 or 6 months, when I introduced her first foods. Now, she is 10 months and still BFing, but also eating very well and loves her sippy cup. With the warm weather and eating solid food, I would give her water - even if she only takes an ounce or two.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Juice & water are not necessary. I do not plan on giving Caroline any juice. I have a Klean Kanteen sippy on its way. I will let her play with it with a little water in it. If she drinks it, great, if not so be it

Caroline actually laughs at bottles
Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't do juice or bottles. When we started DS2 on solids at 6 months, we did child led solid feeding. So we also put a sippy cup of water on his tray. We let him figure out how to use it. We never pushed him to drink, but once he figured out how to, he would as he felt he needed to.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of the input ladies! I did give her a soft spout sippy today with water in it. She looked at me like wth do you want me to do with this. LOL
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol well, if she doesn't want it, that's fine. My dd desperately wants anything you are drinking or eating, so I now know that she can drink water out of a regular cup (if I hold it, obviously), and almond milk out of her sister's hard spout sippy (she grabbed that sucker away from me and just started chugging, lol). I only purposely give her water from a cup, but I might start giving her a sippy once she's a year (if I get tired of holding the regular cup ). Oh, my dd drinks from bottles daily as I work/pump and dh feeds her half the day.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote