Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
earena
Registered Users
seller

A Wellbutrin question

I searched bit found nothing so I am going to ask. I am newly pregnant and am nursing my almost 18 month old son. I had to get off Paxil because it is not considered safe for pregnancy. I thought I could do it without but I need something, the Dr prescribed Wellbutrin because it is safe for pregnancy, well I called back yesterday because I remembered that Wellbutrin was not on the hierarchy list of meds given while BF, I haven't taken it yet BTW, the DR said I am going to have to choose, either take it and stop BF or not. I asked about Zoloft and was told it was not safe in the first trimester. So am not sure what to do, I think the biggest downfall of Wellbutrin is that is dries you up. My son is NOT ready to wean even though I am very much ready. I guess I am wondering if anyone has successfully BF while on Wellbutrin. Thanks.

Advertisement

Want to make a real income staying at home? Ask me about ChaCha and how much I have been paid!!PM me for details!
earena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: A Wellbutrin question

Here is a link:
http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1199122191
This info comes directly from Dr. Hale who is the knowledge source that wrote the book on meds & pregnancy/nursing that most, if not all doctors use and site from.

It does say that Wellbutrin is more apt to dry your supply up though - have you ever tried Zoloft? I know that it is prescribed very often and is often the 'drug of choice' for antidepressants.

I hope this helps!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

I bf'ed while on Wellbutrin. I didn't have a problem!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
tamarag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok here is my worth. According to LactMed http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...temp/~CyR1Sn:1 (here is the info on it) It is ok to take while breastfeeding. What my concern (which was brought up to me by my OBGYN when I was preggo and taking wellbutrin) is that it has a SLIGHT SLIGHT chance of problems while pregnant. BUT you must out weight the risks and the benefits. PLEASE ask your OB about taking while pregnant. I tried to PM you so I don't have to go into details but it wouldn't let me!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Sillz
Registered Users

My Mood:

I took Wellbutein XL all through my pregnancy and breastfeeding without a problem. Then again I also took Domperidone so I guess I can't say for sure.

Babywearing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, baby-food-making, stay-at-home mommy to Adam (8/05) and Josh (7/07) [/CENTER]
Sillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
earena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23girls View Post
Here is a link:
http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1199122191
This info comes directly from Dr. Hale who is the knowledge source that wrote the book on meds & pregnancy/nursing that most, if not all doctors use and site from.

It does say that Wellbutrin is more apt to dry your supply up though - have you ever tried Zoloft? I know that it is prescribed very often and is often the 'drug of choice' for antidepressants.

I hope this helps!
Thanks, I asked about the Zoloft and they said it's not safe for the first trimester.

Want to make a real income staying at home? Ask me about ChaCha and how much I have been paid!!PM me for details!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
mother_04_07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earena View Post
I searched bit found nothing so I am going to ask. I am newly pregnant and am nursing my almost 18 month old son. I had to get off Paxil because it is not considered safe for pregnancy. I thought I could do it without but I need something, the Dr prescribed Wellbutrin because it is safe for pregnancy, well I called back yesterday because I remembered that Wellbutrin was not on the hierarchy list of meds given while BF, I haven't taken it yet BTW, the DR said I am going to have to choose, either take it and stop BF or not. I asked about Zoloft and was told it was not safe in the first trimester. So am not sure what to do, I think the biggest downfall of Wellbutrin is that is dries you up. My son is NOT ready to wean even though I am very much ready. I guess I am wondering if anyone has successfully BF while on Wellbutrin. Thanks.
In 2004 before the Paxil birth defects were well known with #1 DS i (age 20-21) took Wellbutrin & Paxil while i was pregnant * the stress of my high risk pregnancy had me on a roller coaster ride from hell... so the meds benefits out weighted the risks in my case *

shortly after #1DS was born doctors started gitting the information about Paxil is a no no because it can cause holes in the heart for the fetus

with #1DS i bf'ed while on Wellbutrin. I didn't have a problem!
*side note Wellbutrin SR is know to cause back spasms

fast forward to nov 2006 i found out i was prego with #2DS *high risk pregnancy * the doctors weaned me off ALL meds Wellbutrin LX & Proza.

i coped well with huge amounts of family , friends & great team of docs

i was discharged without any antidepressants *the doc was not my normal doc and she chalked my roller coaster feeling to just had a baby i tried to explain i had depression ..."all mamas have baby blue "

i am currently bf'ed while on Wellbutrin XL . I don't have a problem
6/02 ~ 7/02~ 12/03 9/04 Born @ 38.0w LifeFlight/NICU/IA defect Surgery #1@3days old,#2 2/06, #3 11/09,#4 6/10,#5 8/10
7/2007born emergency c-section @39.0wIn STOCK Mama Cloth & PAST WORK
mother_04_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 AM   #8
acscmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took wellbutrin my entire pregnancy without issue and have been BFing on it for 7 months without any issues.

Kate ing, ing, ing SAHM to Aimee 16, Cierra 9, Savannah 9 & Chloe 9 months
acscmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the replies but I was on Wellbutrin when I was pregnant with my son and while I was nursing him. I had no issues with supply at all. I could've nursed the whole county.

I'm on Celexa now and will be staying on it.

The one thing my OB always tells me is there are no studies done on pregnant women - it would be unethical and no pregnant woman is going to subject herself to it. kwim? So they are collecting information as time goes by.

Life without these meds for me is not an option so I have to weigh my and my child's risks for myself.

FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
earena
Registered Users
seller

I think I may try it, I am starting to get the tensions headaches everyday and it hurts! Um was Wellbutrin tough to get on, many side effects? How long did it take to kick in?