Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
~sarah~
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Bringing a baby to a funeral?

Would you? A friend of the family died this past week and her funeral is Saturday morning. I feel like I should go as I've known her and her daughter for 15+ years, but I don't know if it would be improper to bring Sean. He's 11 months old and generally very well behaved. I would wear him in our Ergo and of course we could step out if he got upset or loud or something.

Should I go and bring him, or just skip it and send my respects with my mom who is going? WWYD?

Advertisement

~sarah~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
wvgemini
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Bringing a baby to a funeral?

I don't think it would be inappropriate. I took William to a wedding last weekend and he did wonderfully. He was the biggest hit after the bride and groom
TTC #2 when he gets back!

IHA:Drybees,Fitteds,Wool,Fleece
wvgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
jebb4
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sarah~ View Post

Should I go and bring him, or just skip it and send my respects with my mom who is going? WWYD?

Personally, I would leave an 11 month old home with Daddy and make a brief appearance by myself.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
littlemisses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took my 6month old to my grandmothers and then my 2 year old to my other grandmothers. To be honest if you are going to take him out if he is interupting I don't think it is a beg deal. Just my opinion.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

i just took my 9 month old to a friends funeral yesterday we stepped out whenever he become restless but nobody seemed to mind it actually seemed to liften the boy who died parents a little bit they smiled and oohed at him ... i would take him and just stay near the rear maybe have another person with you to take him out so youcan stay in the funeral (my DH took JohnPaul out for a bit since we had to wait in line 4 hrs to see the parents of the boy)

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took DD1 to my great-uncle's funeral when she was 12 mos. She was usually very good and quiet but that day, she just was crazy. We had to step out of the room just as we planned to do if she got restless. My SIL also stepped out with her 9 mo old and they had a yelling contest. Little did we know the room we stepped out to had a microphone in it and our LOs were being broadcast over the speaker during the service. The guys that worked there didn’t say anything!!! Sigh.

So anyway, I don’t think it is inappropriate at all if the family is comfortable with the unexpected happening. My great-uncle would have laughed his a$$ off over something like DD interrupting a funeral so everyone (for the most part) was really laid back about the whole thing.

If you take your LO, go OUTSIDE if he gets loud, not in another room lol.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends on the family. When my infant DD died three years ago, I wanted families to come because I knew that it was hard to get childcare on short notice. My friend whose baby died a few weeks ago felt the same way.

Would your fried have wanted you to bring your baby? If so, then do it!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends. If you knew them well, and they knew the baby I wouldn't have a problem bringing him. I took our DD just before she turned 2 to a funeral, but it was a very close family member so that is a tad different?!?!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've taken a 6 month old to a friends funeral and a 9-10 month old to another. I think as long as your willing too keep him quiet I don't see why not..
Old 06-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

#1 went to my grandmother's funeral when he was 2.5 He tried to crawl into the hole for the casket when he got away from me for a moment. But other than that did fine. But it was an outside, very short, very small (all close family) service. If it hadn't been family I wouldn't have taken him, though.

#2 went to a friend's mother's veiwing when he was about 10 or 11 months. I didn't take him to the actual funeral b/c I knew he would be a distraction and felt like paying my respects and giving my condolences at the veiwing was enough. Would that be an option for you?
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote