Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bringing a baby to a funeral?

I took my DD when she was a few months old to my friends funeral. It actually seemed to help people while crying people were wanting to just hug her. They were all people from High School & I nursed her through the whole service.

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
SmileyMoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it depends on the situation. I took my baby to my grandmothers funeral. She was only 15 months old but she loved her grandma so so much. She would lay with her in the hospital bed for hours watching tv with my grandma before she died. I know she didn't completely understand but my grandmother would have wanted her there. My grandma was close to all my children but especially the littlest. I think my grandma would have been sad as she looked down from heaven to not see her there. Kwim?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #13
sweetpeasbowtique
Registered Users

My Mood:

Depeding on your relationship, since it sounds as though you were close, I think it would be fine or see if you can get a sitter if possible.

Beautiful Custom Boutique Hairbows and more!!
www.spbowtique.com
sweetpeasbowtique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #14
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

When I was a kid we 'adopted' a grandma in our church. She died this past Fall, and I brought DD with me. Grandma Jackie was such a big part of my life, even though DD was only 9-ish months, I cannot imagine her not being there. We sat in the back, DH and I passed her back and forth, and had a diaper bag stocked with quiet toys (board books, soft non-crinkly, non-rattly toys), and stepped out with her when she was restless. I cannot tell you how many people approached us afterward and told us what a comfort it was for them to see a beautiful new life there when they were mourning the loss of Grandma Jackie. People I'd never even met told us seeing her there reminded them of Grandma Jackie's joy and spirit. I'm so glad I took her. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

That being said, as a 17-month-old, I would never bring DD to a funeral now. She'd be all over, and trying to climb on the casket or something.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

So long as you're ready to deal with baby if they get out of hand in a respectful fashion for those who are mourning, I'd bring the baby. I remember a year and a half ago when DH's grandfather died, his cousin brought her new baby (less than a week old) to the funeral, and I remember thinking how wonderful it was to have a reminder that even though one person you love is gone, that there's always room for love to grow and live on. Not to mention that having a new baby to coo and fuss over made for a great distraction from the sadness.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

I would take the baby unless it is a funeral for a baby or a young child (which it doesn't sound like it is from your info -- just wanted to qualify when I feel it appropriate), just be ready to take him out if necessary.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #17
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say that if you could be near the back to step out it probably would be ok. When my dad died, my little guy was almost a month old I took him nursed him right before we had to go in the worship center, and had him in a sling. DD was 19mo so I found a baby sitter. Considering it was my dad I didn't want the distraction. My brother took his 2 and 4 yr old, and it was a disaster, especially since we were in the front row. Fortunately a friend of the family finally took the boys down the hall.
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #18
dublinmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took my DS2 to my grandfather's funeral (left older with ILs) when he was 10 months b/c he was still primarily BFing and we were 2+ hours away. Definitely take a carrier, I had my ring sling, and just step out if LO gets annoyed. Maybe even bring a quiet snack and toys to distract, and we sat towards the back so that it would be a quick escape if we needed it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 06-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #19
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 11 months I'd say go for it. However if they were older I wouldn't unless it was a close family member that passed. I had a funeral last week for my great great aunt but I wouldn't have taken dd because I don't want her to experience that yet...she wasn't close to her.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
Daizy Nee
Registered Users

My Mood:

yep, I'd bring him. Babies have a way of brightening the darkest situations.