Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
racha710
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question How early to start / introduce solids?

My dd is 4 months and at her well check, the doc suggested that I start to introduce solids anytime between now and 6 months. Well I introduced solids to my ds at 4 1/2 months and then we had issues with him failing to gain weight so I backed off the solids went back to ebf and the reintroduced a month and a half later and he was fine. So because of that I am a little nervous about starting anything. So what is everyones opinion about when to start solids.... I am open to all ideas and opinions so please share...

I bought the box of rice cereal, but haven't opened it yet.... so please give me some ideas/ feedback/ what worked or didnt work for you.

TIA

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How early to start / introduce solids?

Your baby will tell you when she is ready, not your doctor. My DD is 6 mos and still not quite ready.

When you think she might be ready - supporting herself upright and opening her mouth when a spoon gets near her are a few signs - Mix some breast milk with the cereal and try it when you think it is right. Don't feel pressured - babies all over the world are EBF and thriving. Docs always bring up the iron thing and so I just take prenatals when I nurse to make sure baby gets enough.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

DD started cereal at 4 1/2 months, veggies at 5 months, and fruit at 6 months. No meat yet in her diet... but she was ready. She could open her mouth, she was starting to grab at our food... and did really well on it.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
uoducks
Registered Users

i think 4 mths is too young. The reccomened age is around 6mths of age. My daught. started a little after 5mths old. I started with the rice cereal mixed w/ my breastmilk. Breastmilk/formula is to be continued until 1 year of age.
I had a frozen stash of my milk I used in her cereal, when that was gone, I used pureed fruit (no added sugars, etc) and water.
Start slow, a few teaspoons a couple times a day of the baby cereals. After my daught. tried the rice cereal , I started giving her the baby Oatmeal and baby barley cereals for variety. Once he/she's mastered the baby cereal you can start feeding the pureed veggies/fruits a couple times per day.
Remember, rejection of foods is normal at first.. so if that happens, just stop and introduce that food a few days later.
have fun with it!
Once they master the pureed, you make the veggies/fruits and cereal chunkier and just progress with your child. I continued feeding the baby cereal until a year old.. and i added blueberries to it too.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, my dd is 4.5 months old just about and doc told us to introduce rice cereal as she has begun to spit up. However, she just tongues it back out and gags ALOT when we try to give it to her. Then I noticed she was being super fussy the week we introduced it... I've stopped giving it to her at all and even thot she spits up a lil bit, she has stopped being fussy... I just think she isn't ready... im gonna try again in another week or two or three...... maybe
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DOH! Never mind! I deleted my post LOL I am such a Dork! I thought I was in the BF forum *blush*

Last edited by akrab; 06-05-2008 at 03:10 PM.
akrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

grace is 5 months and nowhere near ready. sara started at 11months when she took a veggie burger off my plate, took a bite, chewed it up, and said, YUM!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
bama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
grace is 5 months and nowhere near ready. sara started at 11months when she took a veggie burger off my plate, took a bite, chewed it up, and said, YUM!
That is a baby who is READY!!!!
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

babies will be ready at different times, check for signs of readiness
we tried at 6 months, ds1 wasn't ready, we wait a month, he was good to go and now tries to grab tablefood from my other kids..lol
my ds1 was ready at 5 months, my dd wasn't too interested until about 6 months or so. all babies are different, let your baby lead you
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
babydoll101
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybabya View Post
Your baby will tell you when she is ready, not your doctor. My DD is 6 mos and still not quite ready.

When you think she might be ready - supporting herself upright and opening her mouth when a spoon gets near her are a few signs - Mix some breast milk with the cereal and try it when you think it is right. Don't feel pressured - babies all over the world are EBF and thriving. Docs always bring up the iron thing and so I just take prenatals when I nurse to make sure baby gets enough.
This is exactly what I would have said. It is really up to your baby. I have had 4 and each and every one started at a different age. My first was 3 months, second was 4 months, third 9-10 months ( she had a gag reflex thing going on) and my last is 7 months old and still isn't that interested in it. I have tried her about 3 times now. So it may take a while.
Also all were formula fed
babydoll101 is offline   Reply With Quote