Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How early to start / introduce solids?

I am glad you asked b/c I was starting to toy w/ the idea since DD is 5 months and totally showing interest in our food, grabbing at it if it comes near her and watching us eat like she can't believe she isn't doing it!

My worry is - she is not sitting up. She sort of goes forward an does not have the back support I feel she should have to start any solids. I have to set up her High Chair and see how she is in it - but I feel you on just not knowing and wondering what to do.

My Dr. was also open to me wanting to not start until the 5 1/2 - 6 month point but gave the advise that often they are texture sensitive if you want too long - which I have HUGE issues w/ this and don't eat alot of foods b/c of this!!!! Geez, more to worry about!

HTH!

Advertisement

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
racha710
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies, I don;t think she is that ready yet, she could really care less about anything that I am eating, and I definitely don't thnik she holds herself up well enough (now that I think about it), the only sign I am really getting is even after she nurses throughly on both sides, she constantly has her hands in her mouth. so since there is only 1 sign that I sorta see, I should probably wait for others, thanks again

I would still love to hear from more of you...
Old 06-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #13
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
Baby can sit up well without support.
Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
Baby is ready and willing to chew.
Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

these are the signs baby is ready, you want to look for allof them, not just 1 or 2.

Also remember baby will reach for anything, and just because they do it doesn't mean they are ready for solids, my DD reaches for everything, but I won't let her wear the make-up she wants either,lol!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
azcreek
Registered Users

My Mood:

Our pediatrician actually encouraged waiting till 6 months if DD would wait (and she did) and letting her lead. He said that when mealtime (without her on solids) went from difficult to impossible to enjoy (i.e. her grabbing and wanting to be part of the action) that it was time to give her some of her own! We started about 2 weeks ago and she'll be 7 months on Monday. She grabbed a chunk of banana right out of my hand and started sucking on it...that was a clear indicator that the time had come!
azcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

We just started actively giving her solids now at 9 months. I totally skipped the cereal and mushy foods. I bought a processor to make food but she isnt a huge fan of the mush.
I figured she was ready since she will not let us eat without having something for her.