Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How can I get my bf baby to take a bottle or sippy?

He did fine before we moved when my friend watched him but DH has had NO luck whatsoever getting him to drink from a bottle or sippy.

The side effect is that my freezer stash is getting so unmanageable I have to dump half of what I pump each day down the drain, which annoys me to no end.

Anyone have suggestions? OR want some of my freezer stash?

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How can I get my bf baby to take a bottle or sippy?

I would try a couple different sippys to see which one your LO will like better. That is my suggestion or donate!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Carson&Belle View Post
I would try a couple different sippys to see which one your LO will like better. That is my suggestion or donate!
I have an Avent sippy and the Born Free sippy. He'll play with them but that's about it. DH isn't all that consistent with it, which probably plays a huge role. lol!

I'd be happy to donate it but I doubt a milk bank would take it since I don't currently have a primary doc. I should probably try craigslist.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
HIOStarz4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the same problem with my DD $200 later she would only take advent soft sippy cups no bottles. With my DS I strted bottles from the beg. part time once a day. They say at 3 months if they have not had a bottle at least once a day they will not take it. Bit don't give up, try breastflow, playtex vent air bottles or just got to Babies R us Pick 1 bottle from 5 different selections, he has to take one.
Also, this may sound weird but taste your BM in the bottle. For some reason I had the same issue, has did my good friend, Our milk had gone sour! It had not even been in the freezer for more than a month, I defrosted it in hot water no microwave..Weird
You can try to donate to your local hospital Neo natal unit, they will clean and purify milk, the ones I know of...
Good luck

Last edited by HIOStarz4; 06-04-2008 at 09:08 PM.
HIOStarz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIOStarz4 View Post
I had the same problem with my DD $200 later she would only take advent soft sippy cups no bottles. With my DS I strted bottles from the beg. part time once a day. They say at 3 months if they have not had a bottle at least once a day they will not take it. Bit don't give up, try breastflow, playtex vent air bottles or just got to Babies R us Pick 1 bottle from 5 different selections, he has to take one.
Also, this may sound weird but taste your BM in the bottle. For some reason I had the same issue, has did my good friend, Our milk had gone sour! It had not even been in the freezer for more than a month, I defrosted it in hot water no microwave..Weird

See, that's the funny part. He did just fine with bottles until we moved (he was almost 6mos). It's only since we moved that he's refused them. I went back to work sooner with this DS than with my older one so he got started on bottles sooner.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
krickison
Registered Users
seller

DD wouldnt take anything from day one. Just mommy, its great at times but I wished she would take something else. She is 9 months now, and just started taking a sippy. She is taking the avent magic cup, they have a trainer that has a soft spout if you think that would help. My nephew uses the avent and when she saw him using it she picked his cup up and started drinking. She got her first taste of milk that day But it got her using a sippy. Now she can start using her Kleen Kanteen soon If you have a LO that is near you you can see if they can teach him just like my LO. Good Luck, Its not an easy one to figure out.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of DH's mommy friends have older kids. Only one who takes a bottle and then only when she naps.

DH is a SAHD, if that affects the advice any. No way, no how will he take anything but the booby when I'm around.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had the same problem with our dd. Turned out she wanted mommy milk straight from the tap so we started giving her small amounts of juice and water to get her used to a sippy.
We also had a trial and error period where we bought tons of sippies in hopes that she would decide she liked one.

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Masonsmommy06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 10 months and has never taken a bottle and won't take a sippy...you aren't alone
Ashley~Wife to Martin~Mom to~Mason Karl 2/23/06 & Grace Nevaeh 7/26/07. Furmom to Peri 5-2-10 & Angel 04 & Aunt to Elisabeth Astrid 12/12/06, Stephen Lee 12/18/08, John Drake 12/22/10, Rayne Lyn 5/6/12, Connor Maxwell 7/11/12, Sarah Renee 3-7-13, & Rabecca May 4-20-13
Masonsmommy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YOu don't need a PRimamry Dr to donate milk, They will make you do a blood test, just like donating blood and then once that is clear they will take it, Find a place to dopnate that milk.