Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lull-A-Baby Sleep Plan, My Experience (Round 2) *Conclusion for round 1 in Post#28*

ETA Again to update:
DD2 WOO phase opened at around 3m the white noise and swaddling seem to be the sure thing. What I do now is swaddle, turn on the white noise; which at this moment happens to be that little sound box removed from a Sleep Sheep toy, place it by her ear, nurse her just when I see her melt into comfort but is still awake, unlatch make sure she is still calm then I quietly leave the room. Doing this little ritual she has been able to put herself to sleep over 95% of the time and sometimes she has fallen asleep on her own (without swaddling or white noise) just laying next to DD1 and I during naps. When DH has her at night he'll do the same thing, swaddle, noise, and feed till relaxed and she'll nod off on her own. The practice of her being able calmly drift herself into sleep seems to be working cuz as her WOO is still open she is able to just melt into dreamland with little help from any person. Hopefully she'll be so good at putting herself to sleep with all this practice at the WOO phase that she'll be able to put herself to sleep in her toddler years.

That's how we've been using the Lull-A-Baby sleep plan in conjunction with cosleeping. You can do the same thing we've tried using baby's own bed with the swaddle, white noise, and feeding... just make sure to put baby in bed sleepy but still awake and totally relaxed.

Oh and just to repeart myself in a the previous ETA make sure you know the proper way to swaddle. We were doing it wrong with DD1 that we mistook it for her not liking it. Swaddling the right way really helped us with this baby.

Again here is a vid on swaddling the proper way.

ETA ROUND 2: We just had another baby and now have the opportunity to use the Lull-A-Baby technique over the Help Method we previously used with DD1 (mentioned below in original post).

DD2 is not quite at the WOO but I can really see it's approach and so we've been practicing the Lull-A-Baby Techniques along with the help of Dr. Harvey Karps 5 S's. Another thing we tried is swaddling. We swaddled DD1 but thought she didn't like it but now I realize I was doing it wrong.

From what I understand the biggest part of all this is to make baby feel absolutely calm and comfortable so they can just melt away into dream land. I know she's there when I feel her little body just let out and that's when I lay her down and within a few minutes she's out.

So far DD2 has been able to put herself to sleep about 85% of the time and hasn't had to "nurse to sleep" (no night weaning, just not using the nursing to make her fall into sleep). Sometimes she doesn't need all the techniques to help her to be calm enough to got to sleep on her own and other times she needs all and the help of a cradle swing.

Here is more info and Videos on the 5 S's, swaddling baby the right way and some FREE white noise downloads.

Video of Dr. harvey Karp Author of Happiest Baby on the Block on how to use the 5 S's to calm a crying baby.

A mama demonstrates on Youtube the proper way to swaddle a baby.

http://sites.google.com/site/freewhitenoisesounds/sounds

http://www.calm-your-screaming-baby.com/soothing-sounds.html

http://cantonbecker.com/music/white-noise-sleep-sounds/mp3s.php

These sounds aren't free but provide a great variety of sounds to soothe baby.

http://www.sleeplullabies.com/

http://www.babywhitenoise.com/

Below is the original post and first experience of the lull-A-baby plan...

I really wish I would've read this book before Dd turned 3 months. This book talks about the WOO ( the window of opportunity) in which a baby can be sleep parented with minimal to no frustration. At about 4-5m I saw that the WOO was wide open with my DD. I'm kicking myself now that DD is almost 9 months. Alas there is still hope. So now we're using the H.E.L.P method from this book specifically for older babies who have bad sleep habits or sleep crutches. UGH, Sleep parenting is so hard when dealing with sleep "crutches" and having to apply good sleep habits at the same time. For us being a novice co-sleeping family we've instilled so many sleep crutches during the "WOO" phase. Last night was the third night of the training and it went much smoother and we're seeing results. Each time DD puts herself to sleep faster and faster and with less fuss. Last night I also didn't have to nurse Dd "back to sleep" I was able to do it with Shushing and singing a lullaby. This book isn't necessarily an "advocate" for co-sleeping but it does support it and any other form of sleep parenting. It does however point out the flaws to the "cry it out" or "no cry sleep solution" techniques. This book is very gentle and so far I love it and only wish I read it sooner.

*Just for clarification: my Dd was not left to CIO we were with her ready to console her, supporting her to sleep independently doing everything to make her feel comfortable. We didn't want to have DD fall back on her "nursing to sleep crutch".

How's it working for you? I'm curious, any success's or failures? Have you done anything different to the Lull-A-Baby technique to make it more applicable to your family dynamic?

Advertisement

Last edited by FreeLove; 08-30-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: eta update
FreeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleep training UGH! Anyone using the Lull-A-Baby Sleep Plan?

Update: Ok I just went through a hellish nap time w/DD. I feel like slamming my head on concrete. Eventually with some support I was able to calm her down and she peacefully fell asleep. I felt like giving up so many times. I wanted to run away. I know this will help her in the end become a better independent sleeper but I can't help but feel like this isn't good NOW. I'm so torn I feel that a Victory is just around the corner but that it'll only get worse before it gets any better. It's just that my heart really hurts right now and feel so drained. I hate to see her cry and see her spirit crushed.Could one of you humor me with something light happy and funny.

Last edited by FreeLove; 06-05-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My advice-go into the Fluffy forum and read the celebrity thread. it is long and good for some laughs.

Bedtime sucks!
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama it helped

Update:
I have great news... A Victory!!! At bedtime tonight DD put herself to sleep and without a whimper. We'll just see how nap time goes tomorrow.

Last edited by FreeLove; 06-06-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I figured it out! The book reccomends putting baby to sleep at the first signs of fatigue not when they are already tired and want that 'crutch' waht ever it maybe. I was mixing up sleepy with tired and tired with exhausted. Big mistake. "Fatigue" described the book actually means a much smaller degree than "Tired". I got the tantrums because I waited to long before bringing her to bed. It was making the actual bed experience a negative thing.

Tonight we put DD in bed when we could tell she was about to get tired before bedtime cranky. Then we just played with her quietly and then she just rolled around and finally dosed off. OMG! Just like that! There was a little shuushing but just to support her but there was no reason to even do that.

The Lull-A-Baby plan has proved itself to me cuz we had a break through in just three days. It's been hard but let's see if the Title lives up to it's name. (In smaller print on the front it says Turn any baby into a Great Sleeper in 7 days or Less)

If you need more details here's a Product Description from Amazon:

"A renowned pediatrician explains her revolutionary new method for training infants to sleep right . . . from the start

Dr. Cathryn Tobin, pediatrician of 25 years, midwife, and mother of four, reveals a breakthrough discovery that will transform the way that parents put their infants and toddlers to bed. Dr. Tobin has found that a physiological window of opportunity opens—usually at 6 to 8 weeks—when a baby can learn great sleep habits before bad ones develop. If parents follow her 7-day plan and take advantage of this crucial time in child development, they and their newborn will be sleeping through the night sooner than any other sleep book promises . . . and without the crying and screaming that comes with other approaches.

This is the first sleep manual that focuses on preventing infant sleep problems before they have a chance to begin. But if a parent has missed the window, there’s still hope and HELP: Dr. Tobin’s no-cry program for re-training older babies and toddlers. Dr. Tobin developed this program after sleep deprivation caused a car accident that almost cost her life. Since then she has successfully used her method with hundreds of grateful parents."

Last edited by FreeLove; 06-06-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Out of curiosity - how does this differ from the No Cry Sleep Solution?
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No gradual crutch weaning. I was able to to cut out DD's crutch (nursing to sleep) cold turkey.

Also this book teaches the about the "WOO" (4-6months) when a baby can learn great sleep habits before bad ones develop. Bypassing any sleep dilemmas.

But because I started this late I'm having to re-train Dd into good sleep habits using the H.E.L.P method for older baby's in this book.

Update:
So far DD didn't even wake during the night to try and nurse. She's squirmed but falls right back to sleep after a whimper and toss all on her own. This is the first night this has happened. I'm still in shock.

Last edited by FreeLove; 06-06-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Sleep training UGH! Anyone using the Lull-A-Baby Sleep Plan?*Update*

We used The Sleep easy solution. Ben has been sleeping quite well since then. Thanks for the book though. I just checked and the library has a few copies and lots on order so I just requested a copy. I think it could be a good read. Thanks momma.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleep training UGH! Anyone using the Lull-A-Baby Sleep Plan?*Update*

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsmom View Post
Thanks momma.
You're welcome, happy to share. It helps me through

The book isn't that long at I was able to get the guist of it and apply it in several hours. I've messed up on a few things but corrected myself and now we're getting results in just 4 days.

Here' are some Key Points from the Book:
1. *Bring to bed Sleepy But Awake*
2. Do what you Can to Your Baby's "Sleep Button" ( just like everyone has a stress /panic button we have a relaxation button) lighting, mood, white noise, quite play, aromatherapy, soft voices.
3. Talk to your baby Even if she doesn't understand she'll here the love and support in your tone.
4.Do what you can to make the sleep area a positive place to be.

These are just a few and the book goes into more detail about how to apply these. But maybe these points might help a mama in of them now.

Update:
Last night was great! I did however around 4:30 am chose to nurse DD back down to sleep instead of lullying (shuushing, singing, comforting) to sleep cuz she woke up from a really wet diaper and was very cranky and also my boobs were so swollen cuz I didn't have to put her to bed nursing or nurse her through the night.

This afternoon though as I had expected DD was much harder to put to sleep at her late morning nap but quite a bit easier than yesterdays nap time. I'm so proud of her. I just had to stick it out and believe in her and myself. I really think we're going to get through this.

4th day 3 more days to go to see if this book really delivers on it's methods.
So far everyday has been progress. But it's so true, it's only worse before it gets even better, I'm proof of it

My support to all the other mama who may also be sleep training.:love