Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
Registered Users
Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:
Re: Wool overnight?

We only use wool at night. It sounds like you're a sewer/knitter, so have you tryed making recycled woolies? I would hit up the local Goodwill/Salvy, and buy a couple large wool sweaters. Maching wash and dry them on hot, so they felt, then make some recycled soakers. There was a mama here who put up a pattern for soakers on the WAHM boards (I believe I've seen people call it the Katrina pattern?) for free. That's what I used for DD's recycled wool. The felted wool seriously is bullet-proof. DD is a super soaker, and it took months to figure out what worked in a pocket to keep her dry at night(a double MF insert wrapped in a hemp tri-fold) because she drenched EVERYTHING. Nothing holds up the way the felted me-made soakers do for long trips in the car and overnights.

Meg- blessed with four living miracles & my dream guy of ten years
Always missing our Asher Joel, born to Heaven 1/29/15
Creating Essence- My Crafty and Stuff Blog
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

just wanted to add that personally i don't use interlock, it's not thick enough for mine at night but recycled or crochet does the trick--if you can sew or crochet, you can easily make your own and save $ over interlock (which is pricey even if you're sewing for your own lo--anywhere from 18-22 per yard)
Carson ~~ Wifey to Sam, Mom to a blend of 8 crazy kids!
WAHMama taking a break for pre-nursing school!
~ Gallery ~ Blog ~
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

I always use wool at night. I lanolize my night covers a bit more and also add a doubler. Never had a leak.
Heather Mama to Liana (5.21.05) , Jackson (6.7.07) and expecting "Rainbow" 2/10
Banana Peels Diapers bumGenius, Fuzzi Bunz, Goodmama, Thirsties, Little Beetle, Clovers, sbish and so much more!
heather_lynn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
My Mood:

Wool was our night time solution. we leaked horribly in PUL covers and pockets no matter what I did. But our bed stayed dry in woolies!! I might get one or 2 PUL covers for my newborn and small stashes but they're going to be mostly wool.
Jen Our house is LOUD & messy, full of love and we have a blast!
6/98 Alex, 3/00 Ender, 7/04 (our "Beans") Aeryn & Ashe, 6/06 (Bug) Asterix, and 12/08 (Midg) Atreyu

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

We just started using wool at night and I love it! I put DD in a red edge GMD with a smaller PF trifolded in the center and then put on a thick pair of recycled longies and it works great. We havent had any leaks or wetness in the bed at all.
Kat - Mom to Laura (8) and Lucy (9 months)
My ISO and things I have to trade:
TheQueenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

We use WCW soakers exclusively...never had a leak. We use them over goodmamas usually.
Amy- SAHM, tandem nursing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, carseat checkin' mama to Peter (4.20.08), Jasper (4.25.11), and Ruby (4.11.13). Wife to Chris
ambivalent_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
Registered Users
My Mood:

Knitted wool has been best for us. We have used both one-layer and two-layer soakers with success. I liked the double for peace of mind at night. Lanolization and enough absorbancy in your cd are very important for wool to work well.
dencakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
Registered Users

I use both knitted and interlock wool at night -- both do the job for us. But it is true that the wool is only as good as the dipe underneath. If the wool is properly lanolized and you're still getting leaks, take a look at the dipe. Make sure it's not a leg gap issue or some other type of direct leak. Assuming that is not the case, you probably need a more absorbent dipe. If the dipe is saturated and there is nowhere else for the pee to go, the wool will start taking up some of the pee. At some point the wool won't be able to take anymore and that is when it wicks onto the clothes/sheets. The balance I try to strike is to have the wool only be damp in the morning -- the dipe is holding almost all the pee.
poppan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm not a wool expert (only used it for the last 1.5 mths), but I was told to use a heavyweight (think dbl layer) wool, lanolize it well, and put a good absorbent diaper under the wool. We bought dbl layer soakers from Royal Buns. They work GREAT. DD has never leaked out. We use a dbl'd pf (premium, folded in front b/c DD is a tummy sleeper, + GMD orange or yellow) under the wool.

We switched to wool b/c DD was sweating in her PUL covers overnight during the summer and would wake up and take her diaper off to cool down. Since switching to wool, no more sweating and no leaks (we had occasional leaks with PUL). Now that it is cooling down at nights, we've put her back in cotton sleepers and the wool has NOT wicked onto the sleepers. She is much happier in wool overnight. (DS is in PUL though)
S, mama to my 3rd grader, K (9/07) and my 1st grader, e (7/09) and married to my best friend, E (2007)
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #20
Registered Users

More absorbency is usually all you need with wool to make it night-worthy.
Shannon, wahm to 6 kiddos!
Gillyweeds on Etsy!
Gillyweeds on Crunchy Congo on HC
Gillyweeds Blog
sgilly is offline   Reply With Quote