Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Overfeeding?

NO, you wouldn't. I had oversupply and DS ate and then a while later would spit up, everytime, like clockwork. I never leaked, sprayed, or dripped. I didn't even need nursing pads! And yet I breastfed exclusively for 9 months (no solids) and am still nursing now (DS is 19 mos) without ever supplementing, and I always had plenty for him. (He has been in the 99th percentile from birth until his last checkup)
Try nursing on one side only, for as long as he wants. If you nurse on both sides sometimes baby gets too much of the thinner foremilk and not enough of the fattier hindmilk that satisfies and soothes the tummy. Try it, that should help. If he does still spit up though, no big deal. Some babies just do that, I think.

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PP^^.

JUst nurse one one side each feed and even burp and go back to the same side. IF then next feed is less then 2 hours later I would return to the same side agian but if it is over 2 hours start on the new side.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
tb0408
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok... I was reading the above comments and definitley burb more.. like every couple of minutes just see if baby burbs. Now, I truly believe pumping helps identify alot of problems. See how long it takes you to pump out your breast.. It actually sounds like you have a slow flow. Empty out both breast completely and then feed to your baby. See how long it takes for him to gussle down. My daughter will drink a bottle as fast as a boob. I pump and nurse and it has helped trememdously with gas issues. If she's having a good day I let her nurse all day.. If not I pump (mix fore and hind well) then feed to her. My daugther also gets chunky curds too. Don't worry too much. Sometimes if they eat alot at a meal and then eat again too soon, the stuff sits in the stomach too long and will cause your baby to be gassy and upset and spit up. It's not always reflux, just his valve shutting off and letting up the stuff that's sitting down in his tummy. If you have a pump, give it a shot... it will give you some peace of mind at least about your flow..
tb0408 is offline   Reply With Quote