Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Re: Foster to adopt intro

We're doing a foster-adopt right now. We are NOT foster parents, we only took a pre-adoptive placement. This is our first time through the foster-care system and will mostly likely be our LAST. I keep saying the Lord would have to clobber me with an anvil for me to consider doing it again. If we adopt again, we'll likely return to international adoptions.

But, we're in contact with our attorney as our little guy's bio-parents appeal to the TPR was just rejected by the Appealate courts in his home state. According to his attorney, he's legally free for us to start the finalization process by mid-July. The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. I want the state OUT of our lives now!

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
mandybr
Registered Users

We are just starting the foster adopt process.
It is so nice to see so many others in the same situation!
mandybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #13
heythereheather
Registered Users

We're now fost/adopt parents, as our little girl has had TPR, and we're just waiting the 60 days before we can be referred for finalization.

We're also "straight" foster parents, and started with this placement thinking it would be short-term as she was going to go to family. It's been a whirlwind. A beautiful experience, nonetheless. We'll be opening our home up for another placement in a few weeks, we think. We're thinking a 2-3 year old this time, but we haven't completely decided.

(Hi, Katie!)
heythereheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #14
lpsw
blessed with babies
seller

My Mood:

Any chance this forum could be open to straight fostering in addition to adoption? I don't fit anywhere

I do straight foster care, and my placements so far have all been relatively short term. I get asked allll the time if i'm going to adopt. My answer is always the same... I have no "plans" to adopt, but if I had one child for a very long time and they were freed for adoption, I'd really have to pray about it. I'm not married and have no children "of my own" but that is still something that I want very much. I would prefer to have my biological children before looking into adoption.

Fostering for me has been such a great experience. It is heartbreaking at times (there is one little girl I still miss so much I often cry if I start talking about her), but this gives me the chance to be a mom where otherwise it would just be me. I also love newborns, and so far I've had three newborns in the past 9 months!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
heythereheather
Registered Users

I definitely agree the forum name should include foster parenting. We actually are surprised to be adopting this early on in our journey, sin e we start out as an emergency placement.
heythereheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #16
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally donít care too much for the current name of this forum. "The Adoption Option", it's got that cute catchy thing but it just seems.... kind of.... tactless, to me. It's kind of stating that the only time adoption is ever considered by anyone is when it is the last/only option left. Which is very often not the case. Some people adopt just to adopt, not because it is the only option but just simply because. To me it also seems kind of insensitive to those who are the ones being adopted . I'm not sure but I donít really think they would like being called an "option". But that's just my opinion, what do I know?
crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #17
ColdBabe
Registered Users

We are currently fostering to adopt. We have to wait 6 months before we can file for adoption.

Testify - I'm curious how you're able to do things so quickly. Our FD was TPR'ed in April but we still have to foster for 6 months first.
ColdBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #18
ColdBabe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalannski View Post
I personally donít care too much for the current name of this forum. "The Adoption Option", it's got that cute catchy thing but it just seems.... kind of.... tactless, to me. It's kind of stating that the only time adoption is ever considered by anyone is when it is the last/only option left. Which is very often not the case. Some people adopt just to adopt, not because it is the only option but just simply because. To me it also seems kind of insensitive to those who are the ones being adopted . I'm not sure but I donít really think they would like being called an "option". But that's just my opinion, what do I know?
I think they're referring to adoption as a way of growing a family. We have 2 biological sons and had no fertility issues, but we're opting to grow our family even larger through fostering to adopt.

So I guess I'm saying I don't find it offensive because it fits us to a T.
ColdBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #19
JayCee33
Registered Users

My Mood:

[QUOTE=ColdBabe;4227135]We are currently fostering to adopt. We have to wait 6 months before we can file for adoption.

Testify - I'm curious how you're able to do things so quickly. Our FD was TPR'ed in April but we still have to foster for 6 months first.[/QUOT

I am not sure what TPR stands for, I assume it means termination of parental rights. Anyway I think parents may have a certain amount of time to appeal the ruling. Our older FD was TPR'ed last September, and she still is not adopted. Birth mom appealed and that slowed things down some, but we haven't heard anything since doing our homestudy over a month ago. Here is OK they call it "Swift Adoption" Now we have the baby sister of the one we are adopting and are starting all over again... jury trial in Dec. to determine parental rights It can be very frustrating, but I wouldn't change any of it.
JayCee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #20
curlie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBabe View Post
I think they're referring to adoption as a way of growing a family. We have 2 biological sons and had no fertility issues, but we're opting to grow our family even larger through fostering to adopt.

So I guess I'm saying I don't find it offensive because it fits us to a T.
Same here.
curlie is offline   Reply With Quote