Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding and pregnant

Quote:
Now, while you're pregnant. Your current milk will probably go away so that the colostrum can be made. You could be completely milkless for as little as a week or as long as months. And when the colostrum comes in, it will have a laxative effect on your current LO. I've never nursed while pregnant, just taking this information from what people who have done so have told me.
feeling the need to chime in here... go get some info from your LLL group. They have great books on bfing while pg, tandem nursing and more.

You will not go dry before your colostrum comes in. While colostrum cleans out a newborn this didn;t seem to affect my son for the 16 wks I nursed with it. (I can do some more research on this).

As a LLL leader we can never reccommend someone to go against there drs wishes.

I have nursed threw pregnancies before please feel free to pm me.

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel0123 View Post
feeling the need to chime in here... go get some info from your LLL group. They have great books on bfing while pg, tandem nursing and more.

You will not go dry before your colostrum comes in. While colostrum cleans out a newborn this didn;t seem to affect my son for the 16 wks I nursed with it. (I can do some more research on this).

As a LLL leader we can never reccommend someone to go against there drs wishes.

I have nursed threw pregnancies before please feel free to pm me.
I was only passing along anecdotal stuff. I have never heard of anyone who didn't dry up, so I'm glad you were able to nurse all the way through your pregnancies. And also, I forgot to mention that just b/c you're "dry" (if it happens) doesn't mean the nursing has to stop. I've heard it's a little uncomfortable, but sometimes toddlers don't mind that there's very little there.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant and still nursing. At this point, there is basically nothing to give and my son is getting a little annoyed but it's OK, just a few more weeks. Although nursing at this point isn't what I would call comfortable.

My nipples were sore on and off for the first trimester, but the 2nd was a breeze. No issues, contractions, cramping. My ds was about 13 months when I got pregnant, on my second pp AF cycle. Good luck!

Last edited by FinnegansMom; 06-06-2008 at 07:55 PM.
FinnegansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Be prepared also that it may get painful and/or your milk may go away for quite a while before colostrum comes in.
Mine never fully disappeared but it did drop considerably.. maybe around 25 weeks
and the only thing that was painful was when she would latch on. It was only a sharp pain for a second
Old 06-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #15
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Now, while you're pregnant. Your current milk will probably go away so that the colostrum can be made. You could be completely milkless for as little as a week or as long as months. And when the colostrum comes in, it will have a laxative effect on your current LO. I've never nursed while pregnant, just taking this information from what people who have done so have told me.
I never noticed bellas stool change and she nursed 2-4 times a day
Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

I nursed my DD (~17 months when i got pg) all the way through my pregnancy with my now 4 week old.. by the time she was 22 months she was down to only nursing once a day.. when i got pregnant she was nursing at least 5 times throughout the day/night .. it got so painful around 12-14 weeks that i nightweaned her (which she took very well, probably because there had been almost no milk for a while) and cut down to just before nap and bedtime.. after that i realized my milk was GONE .. a few weeks before i delivered she started telling me that i had a little milk.. she will sometimes go 1 day without nursing, and she didn't nurse for 3 days while i was in the hospital and still went right back to it.. somehow, it was totally worth nursing through all the pain and tender nipples during pregnancy.. if nothing else, just to be able to talk to DD about it now makes it worth it .. (she is almost 27 months, and will just chat away about the milk and what it tastes like and everything.. its so neat! - oh and she doesn't have any jealousy issues when i'm nursing and does not ask to nurse at any time other than bedtime even though the baby is nursing all day long)
Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
dachshundqueen
Registered Users

I nursed throughout pregnancy without major difficulties and have tandemed for the last eight months. While you may dry up, or have a significantly reduced supply due to the increase in estrogen levels, unless you have a breastmilk for most of their sustence/caloric intake baby, you should be fine. My toddler was 18 months when I got pregnant and what little breastmilk I had ended up keeping her out of the PICU, so .... she was nursing all day long and while I did experience bouts of nipple pain it was never unmanageable.

I never noticed any stooling pattern changes or problems, even when the colostrum came in. She did gain some weight when the newborn milk came in though.

Information from your local LLL group can be helpful but I would also recommend checking out the articles Kellymom and Dr. Jay Gordon have on their websites (the latter has supply increasing suggestions, which I used).

Liz

Last edited by dachshundqueen; 06-06-2008 at 08:52 PM.
dachshundqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post
if nothing else, just to be able to talk to DD about it now makes it worth it .. (she is almost 27 months, and will just chat away about the milk and what it tastes like and everything.. its so neat!
Oh, I hope I get to experience this.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #19
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is totally fine! I am currently nursing while pregnant (for a 2nd time!)
Old 06-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #20
acjlnmom
Registered Users

I have breastfed through THREE pregnancies and absolutely no issues what so ever. Your doctor is very uneducated about breastfeeding. The only time it could be an issue is for those with history of premature labor.

My milk did not dry up and I ended up tandem nursing for some time as well. Milk will start to change around 5 months to colostrum, but my babies nursing never minded. However my nipples were VERY painful and sensitive. I just kept plugging along because I wanted to tandem nurse. Worked well for us.

Last edited by acjlnmom; 06-07-2008 at 12:23 PM.
acjlnmom is offline   Reply With Quote