Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Picture tutorial: How to put an elastic waistband into wool

Last time I put elastic in a skirty I had made I took pics intending to post a tutorial on this, so here it is finally! This is actually the first soaker I crocheted last September but I added a skirty and did a little sewing to close up the inevitable gaps I had since it was my first one, and now it has gone on to a new home. This is really easy to do, and I'm sure there are many ways of doing it, but this seemed the easiest to me.

One thing to remember is that when you are adding elastic to shorties that are already made, you are going to shorten your rise. The minimum amount you will shorten your rise is double the width of the elastic you are using, so if you use 1/2" elastic, you will take about 1" off your rise. This is a great way to make woolies that are too big in the waist & rise fit now instead of waiting for your little one to grow into them! And it's easily reversible, all you have to do is cut the stitches you made to encase the elastic. If you have a different way of doing it or just constructive criticism I would love to hear it!

1. Figure out how long you need your elastic and cut it. My dd's waist is 18", so I use a piece of polybraid elastic (1/2"-3/4" is what I usually use, but different sizes will work depending on how much extra you have in the rise to sacrifice) and cut it about 1/2" longer. Then I overlap the two piece, sew them with a sewing machine on a wide zig-zag a few times back & forth, and it's ready to go.

Sewing it:

What it looks like after it's sewn:

2. Next, get your shorties/skirty/whatever woolies you are using, and turn them inside out. Put the elastic around the top of the shorties and fold down the shorties over the elastic to make a casing.

Around the inside-out shorties

Folding down the shorties to make a casing

3. Using a yarn needle (big plastic one) with coordinating yarn or thread, sew a slip stitch around the shorties where the folded over waistband meets the body. You can also use a crochet hook to do this and use a slip stitch, I have done that on a few of my pieces and it looks nice too, but I think the yarn needle is easier.

Sewing the elastic casing

4. When you get done sewing all the way around, secure the thread (a knot) and use the needle (or a crochet hook) to pull the yarn into the waistband so it's under the yarn & against the elastic (to hide the end). Pull it a little tight before you cut it so it will snap back into the waistband & it will be hidden!

Pulling the yarn tight before cutting

All done! (actually this skirty got some more trim put on it, but the elastic is done)

And a picture of her royal cutie pie wearing it afterwards just for fun...

Thanks for looking!

Advertisement

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here

Last edited by topazdodge; 06-06-2008 at 03:39 PM.
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Picture tutorial: How to put an elastic waistband into wool

Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
blessedw2pink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is great. And your DD is too cute for words!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
leilasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

wow what a cute idea. so simple!
your daughter is precious!!
leilasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
littlemisses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for this. I really needed it.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
~:FP:~
Registered Users

thanks for this!
~:FP:~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 01-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quick question: Will this method work for recycled longies? I made some from a sweater and now I need to do elastic. This looks relatively easy, but before I completely mess up my longies, I wanted to check that this would work. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
Quick question: Will this method work for recycled longies? I made some from a sweater and now I need to do elastic. This looks relatively easy, but before I completely mess up my longies, I wanted to check that this would work. Thanks!
Yes, it would work if you want to do it by hand, but I think what you're looking for is this... http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...cycled+longies

If you are making wool longies and don't have a serger to serge the edge before you turn it over for the elastic casing, I would use a zig-zag stitch on the edge of the wool to make sure it doesn't unravel.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazdodge View Post
Yes, it would work if you want to do it by hand, but I think what you're looking for is this... http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...cycled+longies

If you are making wool longies and don't have a serger to serge the edge before you turn it over for the elastic casing, I would use a zig-zag stitch on the edge of the wool to make sure it doesn't unravel.
Thanks! Doing this now!