Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If one more person tells me "breastmilk isnt enough"...

Ever feel like you are holding off an angry mob with one hand and broken fingers? I sure as heck do!

I don't know WHAT it is, but lately every person in my life is CONVINCED my daughter is not getting adequate nutrition from my breastmilk; and keeps telling me to put her on formula or start giving her rice cereal.

With my grandmother, it comes up in conversation EVERY day. She tells me "you dont give her water? juice? nothing? That seems odd to me. She probably cries so much because she is hungry. You need to give her some mashed bananas or something. I did that with your father, so I know what Im talking about." And she keeps telling me that I need to giving her formula AS WELL AS breastfeeding. To spite all my reassurances to the contrary.
And now, my MIL has decided to chime in as well. Sending me an e-mail the other day telling me that Emma was fussy because she isn't getting enough to eat. She TOLD me (not suggested, mind you) to go get rice cereal, mix it thin in milk and give it to her with a bottle.

And it doesn't stop there, either. It's EVERYONE other than my husband!

AHHHHHHHH!

I swear, if one more person tells me she isn't getting enough to eat or that I should be starting solids now, I might possibly rip every hair from my head!

Where in the world are all the confident breastfeeding women of days past?

(sorry, I just needed to vent)

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If one more person tells me "breastmilk isnt enough"...

????? Okay I could see people saying that if she was 8mo old. But she is not even four months old yet! I am sure your doctor isn't even saying to start solids. Mine told me to wait until 6 mo at least!

Just tell them that it is old data they are relying on. My MIL gave DH peanut butter at 6 weeks!!! Plus the whole "chubby baby" mindset is based on formula fed babies, and not breastfed baby weightgain.

Sorry you are getting so much heat. Just remember grandmas love to feed babies so to quell them you might let them give DC some breastmilk from a bottle.

Good luck!

I fall elese fails show her weight gain on the chart. DD is skinny but she was always %50 for weight and %80 for height, showed that to my MIL and that calmed her down.

Last edited by Timetodance; 09-24-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetodance
????? Okay I could see people saying that if she was 8mo old. But she is not even four months old yet! I am sure your doctor isn't even saying to start solids. Mine told me to wait until 6 mo at least!

Just tell them that it is old data they are relying on. My MIL gave DH peanut butter at 6 weeks!!! Plus the whole "chubby baby" mindset is based on formula fed babies, and not breastfed baby weightgain.

Sorry you are getting so much heat. Just remember grandmas love to feed babies so to quell them you might let them give DC some breastmilk from a bottle.

Good luck!
If my daughter would actually take a bottle, I would. She has a divine hatred for anything other than the real thing
Old 09-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

breastmilk is more than enough for a baby so small as yours, my ped also doesnt recomend anything else besides bm or formula until the child is at least 6 months old.
i wouldn't even try and explain myself to anyone, just keep up what YOUR doing for your baby, your doing an awesome job and know that mommy knows best
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom
If my daughter would actually take a bottle, I would. She has a divine hatred for anything other than the real thing

Hee hee, mine did too. The ony bottle she would take is the playtex nurser with the latex, not silicone, nipple (at 6 months). (only if you are interested) It was so much easier to nurse her....
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetodance
Hee hee, mine did too. The ony bottle she would take is the playtex nurser with the latex, not silicone, nipple (at 6 months). (only if you are interested) It was so much easier to nurse her....
No bottles here either!! Formula would likely make her more fussy any how!! My DH LOVES that he won't take a bottle!! Makes his life easier!!
Funny thing about DS2 is that he had only bottles for the first 5 days of his life in the hospital, once we got home none! Now he says WTH are you trying to give me. He recenlt had surgery for his spina bifida and the nurses tried for one day and the whole night to get him to have a bottle. I was so upset about it that my husband took me to the hotel away from my baby who just had surgery for the whole night!

Hopefully they will get over it or just stop bugging you. Maybe when she e-mials you, you can send her back a thanks for the advice mom, but I am follow the AAP and give her the link or something. Nothing hateful, just a thanks and move on! But, my story proves that even highly skilled ICU nurses think babies need bottles. THey just died when he wouldn't take the bottle all night or a paci!! My poor baby.

A new nurse finally resued us in the morning!!

EBF that baby an tell everyone else to

Last edited by hauser; 09-25-2006 at 01:47 AM.
hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
mama23boys
Banned
seller

joe is almost 9months and STILL isnt eating food!! i totally understand where you are coming from.....

your ds though is only going to be 4 months and mamas milk is the BEST thing for her no matter what anyone says. its hard to hear well-meaning advice that is so outdated! just smile and say nope her doc says BM is all she needs right now and thank them
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
LadonnaKen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tell her you know of atleast one baby who has never had anything other than breastmilk from the tap, and he is fat and happy--never, ever gets fussy! (This is my youngest) Tell her that the AAP says that breastmilk should be the baby's sole source of nutrition for the first YEAR----solids are merely for practice for breastfed babies under one!

Now, my oldest son, he was very fussy (different temperment), and being my first baby, I was always thinking I was doing something wrong (but I never gave him anything other than breastmilk till he was 7.5 months old, despite "well meaning" criticisms from my own grandmother and MIL).

I can only take so much criticism before I lash out I was trying to be all tactful and diplomatic to my MIL since I knew she used formula on her children, and I knew she just didn't know anything about breastfeeding--its not like she intended to give them something inferior (disclaimer: I'm not calling formula "inferior"---not trying to start a debate--just saying that she didn't know anything about breastfeeding when she had her babies). SO I'm being all nice and one day she calls and wants to know if Sam is sleeping through the night. (He was a tiny few-week-old newborn by the way.) She instructed me to give him a bottle of rice cereal with breastmilk. When I tried to gently explain to her why I wouldn't do that (explaining the research), she cut me off and said, "Well, I guess you just won't be getting any sleep, then, will you."

Sorry for the rant---anyway, yes, I totally understand your frustration!
LadonnaKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
Emma
Registered Users
seller

I understand how you feel! My supervisor is on me all the time that I should give Ivy water, that babies need water, and she gave all 3 of her BFed babies water in conjunction with BM. Even after telling her that both the ped and the LC said babies DONT need water, she will still mention it occasionally. I just acknowledge that she said something and go on about my merry way.

On the side, I dig your DD`s name.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

WTH! How annoying!

Kuddos to you for doing the BEST thing for your baby in the face of adversity!