Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If one more person tells me "breastmilk isnt enough"...

What?? Ermmm... I *wish* I could have successfully BF Bram. He was EFF since 2 months old and has always been very small and near underweight. (He *does* have a physical condition that causes him to be on the small side but I can't help thinking that he would have been fatter if he had got more BM, kwim?)

Advertisement

urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama! I know how it feels so I feel for ya! There really isn't anything you can do to change their minds -even if you were to show them the new data!!! - this is my theory: they can't understand why anyone would do anything different from the way they did things (but my kids if fine - blah blah blah)...even though they usually know you're right as far as it's better this way, etc.. it makes them uncomfortable to know there is a better way, that they didn't do (sometimes they didn't have the best info too.) - so they figure maybe if they harp on you long enough, and you give in, they feel better about their choices.
Really - the best one can really hope for is for them to "get it" that you are doing what you are going to do with your child, regardless of their unsolicited advice! I never debate people about these choices I make I. like a pp, acknowledge they said something and move on.
Some days it does make me

we talk about this very thing daily on the LLL webboards... there may be some advice you could find helpful/supportive over there.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/index.php

Good luck!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:06 PM   #13
pfamilygal6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little chubby butt is 17 lb at 6 months and hasn't had one drop of anything except breastmilk. Babies don't need it.

Just smile and say, "Thanks for your input." And then TOTALLY IGNORE HER!
pfamilygal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:30 AM   #14
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonphishers
Oh mama! I know how it feels so I feel for ya! There really isn't anything you can do to change their minds -even if you were to show them the new data!!! - this is my theory: they can't understand why anyone would do anything different from the way they did things (but my kids if fine - blah blah blah)...even though they usually know you're right as far as it's better this way, etc.. it makes them uncomfortable to know there is a better way, that they didn't do (sometimes they didn't have the best info too.) - so they figure maybe if they harp on you long enough, and you give in, they feel better about their choices.
Really - the best one can really hope for is for them to "get it" that you are doing what you are going to do with your child, regardless of their unsolicited advice! I never debate people about these choices I make I. like a pp, acknowledge they said something and move on.
Some days it does make me
Good luck!!!!!!!!
ITA!!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
Alex42106
Registered Users

I am quoting Dr. Sears here:

"Attention all Grandmothers:

Much has been learned over the past thirty years
about infant nutrition and development.
Many practices that were common three
decades ago are now known to be unhealthy,
maybe even dangerous to a young infant. "

I know how you feel, my MIL is the same way. The quote above is posted on my fridge, just as a friendly reminder. Hope this helps, maybe you can add it to your next e-mail.
Alex42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #16
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember when I went to WIC for DS's coupons and they were instructing me on how to feed him and stuff they specifically told me to NEVER put infant cereal in a bottle. I was like "What? People do that?!"
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Girl don't you worry about what other people tell you. If you think your baby is fine then that's all that matters? I bet those people saying that to you didn't even attempt to breast feed. Your doing a great job. You keep feeding your little one "The Good Stuff" DON'T LISTEN TO NOSEY PEOPLE . Who are they to stick there nose in your business . God blessed you with a baby so obviously he thinks you can handle it . Your doing good mama keep up the good work.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Aww mama.. just ignore her.. remind her that formula did not always exsist and babies have been JUST FINE without if for THOUSANDS of years.. your doing teh RIGHT thing!!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 AM   #19
leahsuzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally can empathize as well. Now I'm getting "helpful advice" from everyone about how to feed my DS solids. He's been EBF and is almost 9 months. He refused a bottle early on and now has refused food the couple times I've tried! He just knows a good thing when he has it! It's so hard to hear advice coming from different directions - it makes you question whether you're a good mama or not and if you're making the right decisions. But as others have said, you're doing great!
leahsuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #20
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom

With my grandmother, it comes up in conversation EVERY day. She tells me "you dont give her water? juice? nothing? That seems odd to me. She probably cries so much because she is hungry. You need to give her some mashed bananas or something. I did that with your father, so I know what Im talking about." And she keeps telling me that I need to giving her formula AS WELL AS breastfeeding.
I swear this is a southern thing. For MONTHS I had to listen to my grandmother talk about my decision to give bm. First it was why wasn't i giving her water, then as she got older, I can't believe she's not on any solids! (at like two months!!)
Mama, you're doing great, just smile and nod.

HUGS!!