Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Tinabel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
wedding registry...what should I get?

So I'm getting married in October and my fiance and I are going to do our registry this weekend...any tips on what I should get...what can you not live without in your kitchen!! Let me know

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: wedding registry...what should I get?

What kind of cooking do you do? Baking?
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

Find some GOOD pots and pans that will LAST. They don't have to be super expensive. I have some of the Martha Steward ones from KMart and that set has lasted me 4 years with frequent use and no problems.

Nice bath towels, high thread count sheets. Find things that you wouldn't normally buy yourself. I have some nice Egyptian Cotton sheets that I bought (500 thread count) for around 30.00 at Walmart.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Tinabel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I was thinking some nice bed stuff and bathroom stuff!
Also some great pots and pans like you said!

What kind of cooking do you do? Baking?
I enjoy doing cooking more than baking...I'm not much of a baker, I leave that up to my sister and mom-they own a baker
Old 06-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
tfjjmc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree go with quality. I wouldn't register for every cute thing out there, or over register (had a friend who did this... every place in town pages upon pages) I would be very selective and chose things that you will have in the long run. Neautral Dishes, Nice Pots and Pans, Nice set of Knifes, high TC sheets, Nice fluffly towells. Make a list of the things you already have, and the things you absolutely need. Make sure you put the needs on your registry, if you don't over register you probably will get most of them.
tfjjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I would get pots and pans that are good quality like pp said. get a good blender/coffee maker/microwave
silverware
dinnerware set
glass bowls for baking
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You HAVE to get one of these mini food processors! Easy to clean (toss all but the base in the dishwasher) and perfect for fresh garlic or herbs for dinner & just the right size for pureed babyfood w/o breaking the bank w/ a $100+ large one. This is the one thing I would grab if the kitchen was on fire
http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...d=972&cat_id=7
http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...id=64&cat_id=7

Rubber spatulas in all sizes (I like Williams Sonoma's because you can get fun colors to match your kitchen).
http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...id=64&cat_id=7
They have a set of teeny ones that are perfect for the above processor.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...a&cm%5Fsrc=SCH

I think china is a waste--so is crystal stemware (not to mention concerns about the metal in them). Ours is still in the box from our wedding 3y ago.

We use our mixing bowls (metal and glass nesting bowls--Williams-Sonoma has ones w/ rubber on the bottom which keeps them from sliding all over during mixing) a lot.

Pyrex dishes are perfect for all cooking--microwave, oven, fridge to dishwasher. Easy care, last forever and great for casseroles, steamed broccoli, brownies, jello...everything but stovetop!

Good storage pieces would be good, too for leftovers. Glad are BPA free and I THINK this was the brand I saw on TV that had color match lids so you can tell which container it goes w/ at a glance.

A good set of knives is the BEST. I'd actually recommend getting a close relative to get you Cutco. I used to sell it in college, then went and bought myself a set a few years ago. The scissors come apart to wash and are strong enough to cut thru chicken bones, jeans...a penny! The knives can be sent back for resharpening for just the price of shipping (my Mom just sent hers back for the first time after 10 yrs.) and the serrated ones don't need it for forever because the serration protects the smoothe (read: easily dullable) blade. They're pretty amazing. One swipe to cut the steak w/ the steak knives and a fantastic spatula spreader w/ a rounded end so you can scoop out your mayo, spread it on, then use the blade to cut your sandwich and tomatoes. Best investment we've made for our kitchen! (Wood blocks have lifetime replacement as well--ours cracked in the move and we're sending it back for a new one )

Last thing I can think of is a good roaster pan/lid. Nice to toss a whole chicken or two in there and dump in a few bags of veggies=almost no effort and lots of food to freeze for the kiddies/yourself.

Oh--and non-kitchen: a good vacuum? Was a bummer to buy it for ourselves years later, but man! there's nothing like a good vacuum.

Congrats!

Last edited by beenwaitingalongtime; 06-06-2008 at 10:36 PM.
beenwaitingalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
mcbruhn
Registered Users

A few years ago there was a fantastic article in the Washington Post food section on what to register for when you're getting married. It had 3 different levels--basic, mid-range, and major gourmet/expensive. It might be possible to find online. (I didn't find it in a quick search, though). I know it came out when my sister was registering for HER wedding, and she got married in summer of 2006, so it's probably from winter or early spring, 2005-06.

My major thing would be good quality pots and pans, like so many others have mentioned. Some great and affordable ones can be found in the IKEA 365+ collection. Their saute pan is my absolute favorite in my entire kitchen! I had bought one when I was living in Germany doing my dissertation research for a year, because the pans in my furnished apartment in Cologne were crap. I loved it so much, it was painful to leave it behind, but it was too heavy for the flight home. So, since IKEA is international, I got one almost the moment I landed back in the USA!

Whatever pot/pan set you choose, make sure that it is stainless steel, of a good high gauge, and that you have either aluminum core on the bottom or copper. Good quality handles and lids are also essential. The seal between the two parts of the pan should look good and sturdy. The point of the aluminum or copper is to increase the efficiency of the pan, because these metals conduct heat better than the stainless. That promotes even cooking. My sister was convinced she was an awful cook for years because of using cheapo pans--and once I bought her one of those IKEA saute pans, she realized it wasn't her, it was the equipment.

Last edited by mcbruhn; 06-07-2008 at 07:20 AM.
mcbruhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just wanted to mention to register for things in a variety of price ranges. Some guests might not be able to afford lots of $$. So it is nice to have something anyone can get you.

That being said. Crockpot!! (Unless you have one already). I would die without mine) Great for when you are in a rush. I don't think we would with out ours. LOL>

I also love my deep dish electric skillet. It doubles as a griddle. I use it often. This is the one I have.
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...cm_ite=K116762
Have Fun!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
Tinabel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Momma's!!! You've been a great help! Those are some wonderful ideas!