Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Full of Surprises
My weaned toddler totally boob-jacked me

So Whilder has been slowly weaning over the past 6 months or so, and the last 3 months of that have been nursing for 5-10 seconds at a time once ever few days when she really wanted it or got hurt or needed to be comforted. She just turned 2 and it's been a little over 2 weeks since she last nursed. I really thought we were done and was looking forward to NOT tandem nursing her and the new baby. Well last night in the bathtub I was giving her a hug and suddenly without warning before I could say anything she was nursing!

I wasn't really sure what to do, I didn't want to tell her no so I nursed her for a min...her little face was so sweet I couldn't resist. Now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Do you think letting her nurse periodically now is going to make her more jealous in a couple weeks when she sees the new baby nursing? I was thinking about tandem nursing but I really think she is ready to be weaned and it will just make everyone's life easier if she stays that way. WDYT... in this situation would you keep nursing if your toddler kept asking for it?

Mama to
Whilder (9)Olian (7)
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!

Last edited by Ooey; 06-07-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: My weaned toddler totally boob-jacked me

Yup, I would if they asked for it. I think if she was asking for it and you were nursing the baby and told her no or even redirected her it could end up as resentment towards the baby as she got older? It may not, but I would have a hard time telling my kids no, LOL!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I wouldn't want to make an issue of it, but I'd probably see if I could gently distract her into doing something else or sell her on being a big girl instead. I'm probably in the minority, but I have zero desire to tandem nurse a NB and a 2 yr old and would be happy to see that 2 wk non nursing period become a permanent wean.
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'd let her. I thought I had my ds weaned and we went a week without nursing. Then he started asking again. I couldn't deny him something that obviously brings him so much comfort.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote