Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Need opinions GA mamas!

Hubby and I are discussing where to move. Right now our options are:
Carrollton
Conyers
Newnan
Peachtree City

We're looking for a place that doesn't have a (relatively) high cost of living, job opportunities and preferably a little more open to crunchy-type people like myself.

Any advice? I'm from Texas (Houston), so I haven't even been to any of these places but Newnan and it seems too convoluted to me.

Advertisement

themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need opinions GA mamas!

i know nothing about any of those areas sorry we are in powder springs/marietta and there are quite a few of crunchy/CDing mamas we love where we live-if you dont take into account our meddling old neighbors
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
dachshundqueen
Registered Users

Atlanta has very highly congested traffic so where you move will be highly dependent upon where your job is located. Public transit is available for some communities but it isn't the most highly reliable (especially the busing).

Are you transferring to a new job or just up and moving? If just up and moving I would recommend living in a weekly hotel or renting an apt until one of you gets a job and then you could make a more permanent decision. Because seriously, Atlanta metro traffic is THAT bad.

Liz

Last edited by dachshundqueen; 06-07-2008 at 07:50 PM.
dachshundqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

We are renting an apartment wherever we go, but yes, we're up and moving. We are going to make a decision first though and hubby will start applying right away, as opposed to getting there and *then* starting.

Atlanta traffic is horrible, I know, ugh. We don't want to be in the main Atlanta area at all...Conyers/Carrollton are about as close as we want to get.

We'd probably be willing to consider something north of Atlanta, but it's kind of far from where we're at right now (south of Newnan). I'd love to go up to Loganville or something; that's where DH lived when we met.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
dachshundqueen
Registered Users

I would think because of the college in Carollton you might have more opportunities there?

Conyers/Covington has Oxford of Emory college but it's really tiny and doesn't impact the local economy as much as West GA does.

I'm not sure what profession you guys are in either to be able to help.

Liz
Old 06-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
I would think because of the college in Carollton you might have more opportunities there?

Conyers/Covington has Oxford of Emory college but it's really tiny and doesn't impact the local economy as much as West GA does.

I'm not sure what profession you guys are in either to be able to help.

Liz
Computer techs, but I'm a SAHM/WAHM now. He's working pretty much anything right now...we were both laid off recently.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
twolittlewhales
Registered Users
Formerly: rach0479

I don't know much about those areas, but if you are close to Columbus we have a nice CD group here!
twolittlewhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
dachshundqueen
Registered Users

Here's a suggestion. Start applying now. A very cheap/sneaky way to get a local address is to rent a P.O. box or a UPS post box that way you have a "local address" and employers think that you're serious. Then when you get a feel for where you'll likely be hired based on employment availability/pay, you can rent there.

HTH

Liz
Old 06-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
Here's a suggestion. Start applying now. A very cheap/sneaky way to get a local address is to rent a P.O. box or a UPS post box that way you have a "local address" and employers think that you're serious. Then when you get a feel for where you'll likely be hired based on employment availability/pay, you can rent there.

HTH

Liz
We thought about that but we hate the idea of applying to different cities and then possibly not finding anything beforehand anyway - then if he gets a call back after we move somewhere...

It may just have to be our course of action though.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

We live in Paulding County GA, it's NW of Atlanta, but still "metro" atlanta. The population here is young couples. I know quite a bit of CDers here in our county and close by!

I know Joanna (who replied to this post) IRL
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote