Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question She won't say her name - Update: She said it!

My 21 month old daughter, Camden, refuses to say her name. She is a very good talker - she speaks in simple sentences and 4 word phrases, etc. She has a vocabulary of a few hundred words. She uses the pro nouns "I" and "me" and "mine" appropriately but she just won't say her name.

It is driving us bananas. She can make the "c" sound so that isn't the problem. We've tried getting her to say alternatives to Camden such as Cammie or Cam but she will just say "nnnnaaa" when we ask her to say her name and laugh or smile. It is her way of pretending to say it without saying it. She is not saying "no" by the way - she says that very clearly.

So has anyone elses child done this when they are very clearly capable of talking? Do we need to be concerned at all? I'm pretty sure she's just doing it to be funny because she knows we want her to say it but I wanted to see if anyone else has any other thoughts.

Thanks!

Update:

Yesterday, I decided to teach my daughter that dh and I both have names. I told her that Mommy's name was Jessica and daddy's name was Mike. She picked up on it really quick and now if we ask what Mommy's or Daddy's name is she says our names. So then I tell her "and your name is Camden" and then I ask "what's your name" and she says Camden! Dh and I were so proud. It is funny though if we ask her to say Camden then she gives us her old answer. She just doesn't like being told what to do! LOL

Advertisement

Last edited by camdensmommy; 09-27-2006 at 03:09 PM.
camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: She won't say her name

I don't think that is anything to be concerned about. Sounds like she has a good sense of humor!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina
I don't think that is anything to be concerned about. Sounds like she has a good sense of humor!

My youngest sister learned to speak well and early too and she did the same kind of stuff.

Its funny when a child learns to speak early (or learns to sign early) because you get to see how they think from very early on and it can be amusing. LOL
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks guys.

Yeah, she has been communicating for a long time because we signed with her as well. She started signing at 9 months and at one point signed over 30 signs but has dropped all of them since she can speak well.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
jkelstaten
Registered Users

My DD who just turned 2 last week, won't say her name either and she talks very well. In fact, if you hold in front of a mirror and ask her who she sees she says "Emma", which is her sisters name. She says it if you show her a picture of herself too. We know that she knows her name because she responds to it when we call her, but she doesn't want to say it.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is funny that she says her sisters name. At least I know my daughter isn't the only silly one. She also makes the same noise "nnnaaaa" when we ask her to say something else she doesn't feel like - even if she says the word all the time. Apparently she's not into performing.

I'll have to see what she says when I ask her who is in the mirror. Most likely she will just smile or she might say "baby".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelstaten
My DD who just turned 2 last week, won't say her name either and she talks very well. In fact, if you hold in front of a mirror and ask her who she sees she says "Emma", which is her sisters name. She says it if you show her a picture of herself too. We know that she knows her name because she responds to it when we call her, but she doesn't want to say it.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Lucas didnt start saying his name until like 3.5. He could talk well enough(or to good LOL), he just didnt say it.

Then all the sudden one day he started saying it
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Miranda has said her name once.. and she just turned two. But asking her to say her name isn't how we got her to do it.. see.. my child is quite Sassy. lol I say No she says No, I say Quit it, she says Quit it, I say come here, she says Come here. With A attitude. lol So i said Miranda, she Said Miranda. LOL

I wouldn't worry yet about it. No matter how well she's talking.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

My youngest was like that. She didn't talk until she was 2 and didn't say her name until she turned 3. She wouldn't attempt any sounds in saying her name. If you asked her who she was by pointing at her or looking at a picture it was always "me".
Old 09-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL

These are great stories guys.

I love the sassy daughter. hehe. Sounds like my little one.

She has started telling us "stop it!". My dh tried very hard not to laugh when she told him that. We're not used to being bossed around by a toddler.