Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
HollyBennett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
getting tired of all night nursing what to do?

My little one is five months old now and although she sleeps all night she doesn't sleep through the night. We co-sleep but now that daddy's home from deployment I've been trying to get her to sleep in the the co-sleeper, which isn't really happening since she nurses all night long. Half the time I wake up and there she is still latched on and suckling and I have a sore neck and back. It was nice in the begging but now I'm starting to get tired of it. I don't feel rested when I get up in the morning. that is if I get out of bed in the morning. sometimes I let her play with her mirror and baby toys next to me while I catch a few extra Z's before her sister wakes up. Is there a gentle way to train her to nurse only for food at night. I don't think she has let me sleep more than 3 hours tops at any given time since she was born. By this age Tessa was sleeping soundly through the night so I don't understand why she wont. I don't mind feeding her if she is hungry but this is just wearing me out and I find that I'm getting short tempered with my husband and kids.

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: getting tired of all night nursing what to do?

My DD is kind of like that, she needs the booby to go to sleep and stay asleep, so we've started giving her the pacifier again, just try to catch her b4 she gets good and awake and/or screaming and she usually falls right back to sleep w/ it.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
HollyBennett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She wont take a pacifier. If its not me she spits it out. Same with a bottled she will scream bloody murder till I get home and she gets her boobie time. I don't get out much with out her. I cant wait till she starts on solids so I can leave her home with hubby and go get a massage.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have you tried different pacis? it took us 3 different kinds until Emerson found one she liked...

GL
Old 06-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
daisyterp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 5 months she probably doesn't need to eat during the night & is doing so only out of comfort/habit.
The way to change this is to move the co-sleeper to your husband's side of the bed, and when she wakes @ night he has to take her and comfort her and put her back down. If you take her she will expect to be fed, so you can't touch her. It requires a lot of work on both parents' behalf, but it's the best way to get a baby to sleep thru the night- once she realizes that you are not an all-night buffet she will stop waking up during the night.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to introduce my dd to the pacifier early in her life. She was using me as her pacifier.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i've started having my dh rock ds after his last feeding and put him down after he is asleep. he still gets up once or twice, but ifeed him in another room and then put him back to bed. so far daddy or daddy and the paci are helping me to at least get a few hours sleep, which is a few more than i was getting and i think it helps his relationship with his daddy too.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: getting tired of all night nursing what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyterp View Post
At 5 months she probably doesn't need to eat during the night & is doing so only out of comfort/habit.
The way to change this is to move the co-sleeper to your husband's side of the bed, and when she wakes @ night he has to take her and comfort her and put her back down. If you take her she will expect to be fed, so you can't touch her. It requires a lot of work on both parents' behalf, but it's the best way to get a baby to sleep thru the night- once she realizes that you are not an all-night buffet she will stop waking up during the night.
Wow. That statement just bothers me ... I mean, parenting is hard -- and sometimes we are required to parent when tired (including night time.)

I would recommend reading some of Dr. Sears' recommendations

Here: http://www.askdrsears.com/

... mama, this is perfectly normal. And, while you might not want to hear that, it will be a VERY short time before DD is sleeping "through the night". Your first DD may have just broke the mold by sleeping longer than younger DD ...

FWIW, my 13 mos old starts out the night in his own crib (next to my bed) then comes to bed with me when he wakes in the middle of the night. I go right back to sleep with him nursing next to me. Parents in all different cultures around the world have co-slept for centuries. It's sad that in our culture we expect our babies to "grow up" so fast Dr. Sears has some ideas for safe co-sleeping arrangements also.

mama. This too shall pass (and quickly!).
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
bama
Registered Users
seller

My first slept thru the night at 7 weeks. So I too am WAY tired of this all night nursing, and I don't think its necessary. We have been working on it, and having daddy comfort him when he wakes. So far, its been helping.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Says who? When experts say 'through the night' they only mean five hour stretches of sleep anyway.

You can try having your DH comfort the baby and it might work or baby might decide to scream bloody murder. What position are you nursing in at night? Maybe something as simple as a change in position might help.

Last edited by spacecat1974; 06-08-2008 at 11:43 PM.
spacecat1974 is offline   Reply With Quote