Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

Re: getting tired of all night nursing what to do?

My daughter still wants to nurse in the middle of the night.

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #12
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DS is 22 mos and still night-nurses. The frequency varies.
The ped dentist says we need to stop, because thats whats causing his tooth decay. I feel like a horrible mama, its all my fault. I dunno how to stop though.

Sorry for hijacking
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
daisyterp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry- I didn't mean to start anything by my previous post- by not "needing" to nurse once a child is a certain weight they don't have to eat in the middle of the night. Also if the mom takes the baby and tries to comfort w/o nursing the baby will smell the mama's milk, etc.
You would think I had suggested crying-it-out or something!

This is just advice I have read/heard.
FWIW my DD is almost 4 months old & still in her bassinet by my side of the bed- we HAVE to put the crib together this week because she is outgrowing the bassinet rapidly! She sleeps thru the night most of the time 6 nights out of 7 probably and if she gets up 5 am or later she just gets into bed w/ us and nurses until 9 or so. I love that morning cuddle/nursing time.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyterp View Post
At 5 months she probably doesn't need to eat during the night & is doing so only out of comfort/habit.
The way to change this is to move the co-sleeper to your husband's side of the bed, and when she wakes @ night he has to take her and comfort her and put her back down. If you take her she will expect to be fed, so you can't touch her. It requires a lot of work on both parents' behalf, but it's the best way to get a baby to sleep thru the night- once she realizes that you are not an all-night buffet she will stop waking up during the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Wow. That statement just bothers me ... I mean, parenting is hard -- and sometimes we are required to parent when tired (including night time.)

I would recommend reading some of Dr. Sears' recommendations

Here: http://www.askdrsears.com/

... mama, this is perfectly normal. And, while you might not want to hear that, it will be a VERY short time before DD is sleeping "through the night". Your first DD may have just broke the mold by sleeping longer than younger DD ...

FWIW, my 13 mos old starts out the night in his own crib (next to my bed) then comes to bed with me when he wakes in the middle of the night. I go right back to sleep with him nursing next to me. Parents in all different cultures around the world have co-slept for centuries. It's sad that in our culture we expect our babies to "grow up" so fast Dr. Sears has some ideas for safe co-sleeping arrangements also.

mama. This too shall pass (and quickly!).
I don't think she meant NOONE can touch her, just that if SHE touches her, she expects to nurse. She isn't advocating ignoring the baby, just letting Daddy soothe the baby if he/she is NOT hungry & only wants comforting.

Clear as mud?

To the original poster:

I am right there with you & my 7 month old. I need sleep!!! We moved her to her crib which is side-car'd to our bed (DH's first night back in our bed since she was born), and she woke more than normal (every 2 hrs instead of every 3 ). Sometimes putting binky back in her mouth works, but she usually wants BEWBEEEEEEE

some empathy for you
Old 06-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I think it's normal for a 5 month old to want to nurse all night. Both my boys nursed all night at that age and for quite awhile after that. It won't last forever, just remember that!!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think all of our bodies are different and require a different amount of sleep, same as our babies. I don't think any mama should be made to feel that she is a "bad" mom for wanting some sleep or time to have her body to herself. I think if someone asks a question for advice I think there is a nice way to say what you do without judging that person. just my
Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #17
daisyterp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by byumommy View Post
I don't think she meant NOONE can touch her, just that if SHE touches her, she expects to nurse. She isn't advocating ignoring the baby, just letting Daddy soothe the baby if he/she is NOT hungry & only wants comforting.

Clear as mud?
That is what I meant- thanks mama! I swear I am not evil!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #18
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofnoah View Post
I think all of our bodies are different and require a different amount of sleep, same as our babies. I don't think any mama should be made to feel that she is a "bad" mom for wanting some sleep or time to have her body to herself. I think if someone asks a question for advice I think there is a nice way to say what you do without judging that person. just my
I agree you have to do what is best for you and your family. I am not juding anyone rather they cosleep or not or don't nurse babe everytime they wake up. I just wanted to say incase anyone was reading that was told babies shouldn't need to eat past x months like I was by everyone , which made me doubt as a new mom what I was doing. I think it's totally normal for babies to want to nurse all night, but I don't think it's wrong if it doesn't work for a family to sleep train the baby to sleep all night. I thought everyone has been nice in their replies without judging though. Of course we all don't parent the same and none of us are better then anyone else

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #19
abbi77
Registered Users

My Mood:

What's her daytime schedule like? Is it possible she's reverse-cycling?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #20
HollyBennett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbi77 View Post
What's her daytime schedule like? Is it possible she's reverse-cycling?
reverse-cycling whats that?