Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Cold Medicine?

My kids woke up on Saturday with a cold, and now they have passed it onto me.
what can i take that is safe while bfing?
my poor baby has his first cold too, it was a LONG night.
I HATE using that nasty suction for his nose, he got so upset

mama to Malikai (10), Tiler (9), Bennett (7), Jamison (5), Phoenix (3), Gage (9m)
Independent Consultant for Jamberry Nails
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
Re: Cold Medicine?

i've been using NE vapor rub on my sds bc he too has a stuffy nose....its made for babies also...that might help him breathe/nurse better.

im not sure what YOU can take, sorry-i hope someone here knows
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

My pharmacist's said that you really can't take anything with out some of it passing into the bm, I had a horrible cold once and just had to suffer through it, one of the many sacrafices we as mothers make
Judi, Single Mama to Dakotah 4 and Joshua 13 months
Tootsie Tootles My Gallery Etsy
Will Knit For Yarn, Your Yarn My Needles, Custom Handspinning Available, PM ME!
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Talking Re: Cold Medicine?

I was told that its okay to take anything i was allowed to take while pregnant. Robitussin basic, pseudofed(sp?), tylenold cold. I would ask your doc tho to be safe, every doc seems to have a different opinion. When my kids were sick when they were small I would try to get them to sleep in their bouncy seat, swing, car seat etc, anything to keep them elevated so they could breath easier. Try the humidifier in ther baby's sleeping area, thats what my ped. always reccomends. I hope that helps some.
Sherry- wife to Andrew SAHM to Mia (9-10-04) and Andy (12-29-05) and part time nursing school student (aspiring lactation consultant).On the wagon and proud of it, havent bought anything since June.
sherbear178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Registered Users

Do not take anything that is used to dry up your mucus membranes because it will also dry up your milk, that is almost all cold and allergy medicine including all decongestants and anything with psuedophedrine. Just because something is safe to take during breastfeeding, that doesn't mean that it won't have an effect on your supply. Many doctors do not seem to realize this. Zicam products are supposed to be okay for your milk supply. These are nasal sprays.

tmaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Contact your local La Leche League. You don't have to be a member and they usually have a list of meds that are OK. If you feel that bad, most over-the-counter meds are fine. I've taken robitussen (sp?) and tylenol. But usually I suffer through it. Prolonged use of any drug might be a concern, but chances are, a day or two of relief is all you will need, so don't worry too much.
A long hot shower is a great way to decongest. I also mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil and a splash of water in an oil burner while I'm in there too. Good for baby too...
Feel better...
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote