View Poll Results: When did or do you plan to start solids?
Earlier than 4 months 2 1.59%
4 months 5 3.97%
5 months 11 8.73%
6 months 39 30.95%
Later than 6 months 69 54.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
jacksmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't wanna start solids!?! (semi-long)

yay for you!

Advertisement

Becca - Mama to DS, 08/07 and expecting DS#2 12/09!
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Listen to your gut, mama!!

Babies are at a HUGE risk for developing food related allergies if they are given BEFORE 6 months. The gut doesn't fully close until then and until it does food is secreted through which raises the risk for allergies.

I didn't start DD3 on solids until she was 7 1/2 months and she loves them!
Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
jenanglin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yea, my son was always below the average weight for his age, ever since birth. He's as healthy as can be, some people are heavier, some are lighter, thats just how it is.

Wife to the best husband ever, T, and Mommy to, C '05, A '08, E '10, I '12, and N '13.
jenanglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
sailor-san
Registered Users

My Mood:

i started offering foods at about 5.5 mos. i give it to him cut up on his tray. if he wants it, great; if not that's just fine. i don't spoon feed. he's sampled avocado, squash, banana and sweet potatoes and just recently chicken. i really think baby led solids are the way to go. i can tell that he's maturing in the way that he relates to food, he takes it and wants to try it, he knows to chew and he doesn't spit up. my pedi suggested cereal at 4 mos and i just did what i wanted instead. i did the research and his suggestion was just that, an opinion.

and as for how to address your MIL, i just read this on askdrsears a couple of weeks ago. i think he lays it out pretty tactfully:

Dear Dr. Sears: My Mother in law continually discusses how she started her kids on cereal at three weeks and that I should do the same. I am breastfeeding exclusively and know my baby is not ready for solids yet. Does eating solids or cereal too soon result in digestive problems later in life? What can I do to make her stop? I have utilized American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations but she just ignores my statements.

Attention all Grandmothers:

Much has been learned over the past thirty years about infant nutrition and development. Many practices that were common three decades ago are now known to be unhealthy, maybe even dangerous to a young infant.

I know that the experts told you to start feeding your babies cereal after a few weeks of life; and you followed their advice because you loved your children. Now we know that an infant's gut is not ready for solid foods until around six months of age. If you start a food too early, he is much more likely to become allergic to it. This can result in damage to the intestines, weight loss, blood in the stool, and malnutrition. You might argue, "Well, my kids started solid foods at three weeks, and they turned out just fine." The truth is, very few adults have perfectly working digestive tracts. Just look at all the commercials for heartburn remedies and stool softeners... "ever feel gassy and bloated after a meal?"

Here is what the experts are saying now:

Breastfeed for at least one year.
Start cereal and other solids after six months of age.

Grammy, please let your daughters follow this advice, because they love your grandchildren as much as you do.

Dr. Jim

mom to sailor
sailor-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmomma View Post
Here's a great resourse to arm yourself with some info for MIL. And honestly I'd switch my pedi if they were pushing solids on such a young baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Here's a quote:
"The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization
UNICEF
US Department of Health & Human Services
American Academy of Pediatrics
American Academy of Family Physicians
American Dietetic Association
Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
Health Canada"
Exactly! And after that you can watch for signs of readiness for solids. DS didnt have a bite of solids until 9 mos and didnt start eating much at all til one year. And he was always in the 99th percentile for height and weight, so it didn't slow down his growth at all!

Stick 2 your guns, mama!
Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #16
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

IMO, if my baby can't sit in a high chair and be part of the meal with the family then she's not ready to eat solids. There's no point in wedging pillows around her to prop her up so we can shovel food down her throat. Their toungues are still in thrust mode, they are designed to suck at this age. I've been getting a lot of comments lately too, DD will be 5 mos in about a week. DH has been on me about it too! He wants to start feeding her "real food". I feel that every baby is different, once they start to show interest, stare at you eating lol, grab at food, mimic, able to sit up, maybe even start getting teeth.... that's when you know they are ready. I def feel that 4 mos is too young. I just don't get why people want to rush infancy??

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #17
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is in the 25th-50th percentile on weight and i think in the 50th for height..... so i don't think she's like an anorexic baby or anything ya know? she's got chubby thighs and cheeks - she's just not chunky like a formula baby is because she's not getting all the extra calories, despite the fact that she's probably getting more nutrients!
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #18
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaferriere@berklee.net View Post
I just don't get why people want to rush infancy??
They're only infants once right!?
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #19
irisheyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmomma View Post
Too bad! You're the mama. They got to raise their own children how they want, you get to raise yours how you want. IMHO 4.5 months IS too young for any solids, she should be EBF! I EBF'd a little past 6 months before I started solids and DS still wasn't quite ready. He was ready at about 7 months and now is a chow hound and eats almost anything I offer, and still nurses very well.

You are doing great mama, and your instinct is right. I say stop bothering with the rice, ignore all the "helpful advice" from your family and go with your gut. Next time MIL starts in on you, just be non-committal.

MIL: "She needs to be eating more, she's not getting enough!"
You: "oh do you think so?"
MIL: "Yes my friend blah blah blah"
You: "that's interesting"
MIL: "You should blah blah blah!"
You: "Thanks for your concern"
MIL: "In my day we blah!"
You: "thanks for sharing that with me."

irisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #20
sailor-san
Registered Users

My Mood:

i've gotten some comments from the MIL but i brush it off. times and ideas have changed, he's my kid and i'm not some doofus doing stupid crap to my baby; i'm educated and i research every aspect of a topic before i make a decision to take action.

mom to sailor
sailor-san is offline   Reply With Quote