View Poll Results: When did or do you plan to start solids?
Earlier than 4 months 2 1.59%
4 months 5 3.97%
5 months 11 8.73%
6 months 39 30.95%
Later than 6 months 69 54.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #21
irisheyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't wanna start solids!?! (semi-long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor-san View Post
Dear Dr. Sears: My Mother in law continually discusses how she started her kids on cereal at three weeks and that I should do the same. I am breastfeeding exclusively and know my baby is not ready for solids yet. Does eating solids or cereal too soon result in digestive problems later in life? What can I do to make her stop? I have utilized American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations but she just ignores my statements.

Attention all Grandmothers:

Much has been learned over the past thirty years about infant nutrition and development. Many practices that were common three decades ago are now known to be unhealthy, maybe even dangerous to a young infant.

I know that the experts told you to start feeding your babies cereal after a few weeks of life; and you followed their advice because you loved your children. Now we know that an infant's gut is not ready for solid foods until around six months of age. If you start a food too early, he is much more likely to become allergic to it. This can result in damage to the intestines, weight loss, blood in the stool, and malnutrition. You might argue, "Well, my kids started solid foods at three weeks, and they turned out just fine." The truth is, very few adults have perfectly working digestive tracts. Just look at all the commercials for heartburn remedies and stool softeners... "ever feel gassy and bloated after a meal?"

Here is what the experts are saying now:

Breastfeed for at least one year.
Start cereal and other solids after six months of age.

Grammy, please let your daughters follow this advice, because they love your grandchildren as much as you do.

Dr. Jim
I LOVE THIS!! It makes so much sense and I love the way he lays it out! YEAH Dr Sears!

Advertisement

irisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #22
evaliesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really have any great advice to add (these mamas on here are great ) I just wanted to give you !

Do you have a LLL to join or a lactation consultant you can talk to IRL?? That was totally helpful to me. I wouldn't have been able to stand up to/ignore the pediatritian otherwise!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 AM   #23
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I'm in the local LLL group - we're actually meeting tonight - phew . Now, hubby's getting all weird about me waiting - basically he's not gonna fully support me in my decision or argue with me - he said it didn't matter how he felt I was gonna do what I want 2 anyways since i"m the one home with her all day....... grrr......
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:44 AM   #24
charitycase20
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mama. Just follow your instincts, I'm on my second baby and second guess myself all the time. Drives DH nuts!!

DS is 7 months old, at his 6M WB visit he was 14.6 lbs, doc said push solids cause he's dropping percentile wise. We went back 2 weeks later for the second round of vax (I made them split them up ) he weighed 16.9 lbs!! All on the boob!! No solids!! So I'm pretty much just letting DS do what he wants, of course we are having some allergy skin issues so thats why i am really pushing EBF. But his older sis was completely different, she was downing sweet potatos at 6months and crying for more when the jar was empty!!

GL and don't worry about what anyone else says, your the mama and you know what's best for your LO.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #25
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

7 months old and still only boob juice here

My pedi is completely ok with it, but my mother & my MIL think she should be eating.

Ummm, NOTHING is as nutritious as breastmilk. She is not starving & is thriving. Not to mention, a very happy baby!!!!

My MIL mumbled this past Saturday (I love her to death, don't get me wrong), "she can't live on "that" alone". Ummm, I sooo wanted to say "uhhhm yes she can!". She has been VERY supportive thus far, but at 75 yrs old she has never seen or heard someone BFing this long, nevermind exclusively.

My Mom is coming for a visit this weekend (she lives 400 miles away). I hope she knows better to pester me or worse yet sneak her food!!!

She will have solids when SHE is ready, not when other people are ready for her to.

So there!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #26
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck411 View Post
They're only infants once right!?
Exactly! I really don't want to rush the breast feeding stage. I love it.

Whoever quoted Dr. Sears - I love him! haha

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #27
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that conversation sounds like the ones between MY mom and I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmomma View Post
Too bad! You're the mama. They got to raise their own children how they want, you get to raise yours how you want. IMHO 4.5 months IS too young for any solids, she should be EBF! I EBF'd a little past 6 months before I started solids and DS still wasn't quite ready. He was ready at about 7 months and now is a chow hound and eats almost anything I offer, and still nurses very well.

You are doing great mama, and your instinct is right. I say stop bothering with the rice, ignore all the "helpful advice" from your family and go with your gut. Next time MIL starts in on you, just be non-committal.

MIL: "She needs to be eating more, she's not getting enough!"
You: "oh do you think so?"
MIL: "Yes my friend blah blah blah"
You: "that's interesting"
MIL: "You should blah blah blah!"
You: "Thanks for your concern"
MIL: "In my day we blah!"
You: "thanks for sharing that with me."

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
MommyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #28
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh me.........im debating the email now....... i think ill just wait and see if she calls - she calls ALOT - to see what us girls r into and give her 2 cents on everything....... i just hope i can handle it........although i know she'll ask, what does garrett think? (my dh)... and i guess ill like halfway lie and say he supports my decision....he doesn't oppose it, but he'd really like to start feeding her big ppl food he says......
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #29
ojessesue
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Why is it always the MIL?? Anyhow, I feel like I'm in the same boat and would like to delay starting solids until at least after 6 months. I'm worried at that time (since I've said it out loud) people will start feeding my baby when my back is turned! I almost don't want to have a babysitter at all for fear that they'll start offering food!
As for sending the email, I think it's a great idea. Maybe you could wait to bring it up again until she does though. If she begins to question your logic again, maybe say that you found some very helpful info online and pass it on to her then. The Dr. Sears info is great.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #30
JillianP79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I offered my son solids around five months old, he was very interested. I did not give him rice though, only homemade pureed veggies and fruit. After the newness wore off (about a month) he decided just to nurse again. He is 9 months old now and does not eat solids on a regular basis. I will offer him toast and bites here and there, but as far as a 'meal' of solids (of jar of food), the would be a waste. My pediatrician said that eating solids before the age of 1 is more just a social thing. So I am cool with that..he is a hungry guy though, so i do not get to sleep through the night, but we co-sleep so no biggy.
JillianP79 is offline   Reply With Quote