Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breastfed baby won't take bottle!!! Help!

A friend of mine has a 4 month old who, as far as I know, has been only EBF since birth. I keep her one or two days a week for her. Well, she won't take a bottle of pumped milk for me when she's here! My friend has had to leave work to come over and nurse her. I know it's stressful for both of them. She's using Playtex Drop Ins, which is what I used on my dd and they worked great for going back and forth from breast to bottle. Any suggestions as to what to do to help her??? Thanks!

Advertisement

Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfed baby won't take bottle!!! Help!

That's a hard one. What about cup-feeding. It takes forever, but it will get the job done!
Have they tried different nipples? What are you using?
Also, try to get her into the position like she nurses, that may help. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Some babies just won't take a bottle. Try a dropper, a tiny cup, or a spoon and see if she'll take expressed milk that way.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check this resource out for some info you may find helpful
Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

My little man would not take a bottle either. I felt so bad for my sister the time I left her with a bottle to feed him and she called because she could not get him to take it.

I am sorry mama, I am no help but I think the cup feeding sounds like it would work.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the same boat - my twins won't touch a bottle (even though they were bottle fed for the first few weeks)

I've spent a load of money on different bottles/nipples/pacifiers

My goal now is to try a bottle feeding a day and to wait until they are good and hungry. I'm going to try and enlist DH and a neighbor. Your sister may need to do the same thing.

The good thing to remember is - the child will not die of starvation in an 8 hour period. He/She will be royally ticked and very hungry... but safe and well fed by evening.

good luck, I really do feel for all of you - it is stressful
Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Try Breastflow bottle! LO will actually have to compress an inner chamber to get anything out. Nipple also looks like a mini-boob! Latch is boob-like, and with compression, it works great for a lot of babies who won't normally take a bottle.
mommypockets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

i have a friend who had to return to work, and the DCP's at her daycare use the bottle that looks like the breast, and they hold it up thier thier breasts, so he is essentially being fed in the same position, it worked! its worth a shot!! the syringe is also a fab idea!
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This happened w/ my 2nd when she started daycare at 3 mos. We had tried a bottle multiple times w/ her before then, tons of different nipples/bottles...nothing doing!! I work part-time, so she was away from me for 5 hours and wouldn't eat anything for 5 hours!!! Daycare tried everything (except cup or syringe) and slowly she started taking and ounce or two and probably a month later, she would take her whole bottle. She just needed some adjustment time & perseverance. And the nipple that worked for her was the angled Nuk or Medela one (like the Nuk pacis that were her faves). I know it can be stressful, but I really don't think the baby will let himself starve - keep persevering and he will come to accept it.

Last edited by kezoo; 06-09-2008 at 11:52 AM.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
lilepad
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both of my children have had bottle issues. It took a lot of figuring out (and a speech therapist to help with my second) but we finally got them both on the bottle for daycare.

My first preferred his milk warmed a little more than "normal." He also did not like to be held--he liked being propped in a boppy (the bottle was not propped, just him) and he preferred no eye contact from the caregiver. (no joke).

My second was a lot harder to get on the bottle. It turned out that she had reflux so once we got her on zantac things got better. (It was a particular concern because she was very slow to grow due to food allergies so we did see a speech therapist/lactation consultant). She doesn't seem to care as much about the temperature as she does who is giving her the bottle. Only certain people at the daycare can give her a bottle and she actually likes to be held in a cradle position

Both of my children prefer(red) nuk nipples. My son was a reverse cycle nurser--rarely taking more than 8 oz a day but he'd make up for it all night long. My daughter usually takes 10-12 a day but only nurses 2-3 times a night (which is a relief!).