Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

BFeeding and weight gain question/concerns

ok, so to make a long story short I have had terrible anxiety about my DD and how much she weighs (partially fueled by other ppl, some I know, some I don't)

I am trying to do the best I can at BFeeding, we do give 2-3 oz of formula mixed in w/ breastmilk 4-5 days a week while DD is at daycare but that is the only time that she gets formula and the only time that she gets a bottle (if anyone can tell me how I can produce enough to pump enough to not use formula I am totally open to trying anything but stand on my head! LOL!)

All jokes aside...I am in fear of scales and other ppls comments....DD is so happy and very healthy but she was weighed at 5 mos (a week or so ago) and she weighs around 12 lbs, give or take a few ounces....Her birthweight at full term was 6lbs 14oz...mind you she went for being 19 1/2" to 24" long

I guess my question is-- how do you determine whether or not she is gaining enough weight? how much is enough? Am I doing something wrong? (OBTW she does eat a little bit of baby cereal and an occasional bit of baby food (stage 1)....

All I ever hear is "she's sooo little!" and "she's how old?!" I took herto the Dr's office and she was 12lbs2oz w/ a onesie on....I took her to my Bfeeding meeting a week later and she was 11lbs12oz w/ o clothes.....Should I be worried about a small weight loss like that? Does a onesie weigh that much? The lactation consultant and the ped sd she looks great....much more active then a baby her age usually is....very happy and my fav "ALL SCALES ARE DIFFERENT" Are they really that different?

Any suggestions, comforting words, words of wisdom...anything at this point might help this rant!

(Although I have had 5 children this is the longest that I've gone Bfeeding any of them! and would love to continue!)

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BFeeding and weight gain question/concerns

I know every baby is different, but you're her mommy and know whether or not something is wrong. But let me share my own experience, thus far...

My baby girl was 5lbs 6oz, 17" when she was born in November (only a week early), and at her 6-month ped apt weight 12lbs 7oz. My doctor wrote "poor growth" on her chart somewhere around the third month, and made another apt just to get her weighed, and I was heartbroken! This is my 1st, and I was already concerned with making enough milk! I refused to supplement, however, or give her medication for acid reflux (which she didn't have).

My girl is VERY happy and VERY healthy - just petite. She has been consistent with growth, no matter what percentile she's in (besides - the charts that the doctors have are based on formula-fed babies)... and she's been in the 5th percentile all along. I read somewhere that as long as your baby is gaining height/length, that means her bones are growing... but I would think that would show up on the scale.

I felt very strongly about holding off solids until 6 months, but my girl seemed interested and I would give her tastes here and there. Her doctor DID suggest mixing cereal in with her bottle [of breastmilk when babysat], which she gets a few times a week, and I felt better about using organic cereal than formula. So... once she did okay on that for about a week, I started giving her a little bit of cereal. So, somewhere around the 5-month mark I started with "solids," slowly adding fruit and cereal and combinations. She's now 6 1/2 months, and I give her all sorts of homemade purees (I add breastmilk to make it smoother, if necessary)... I even made yogurt! It looks like she's thriving to me, even though we still get "she's such a little peanut!" and "that's how big so-and-so's baby was when she was born!" comments. It doesn't bother me, because I know she's healthy. The only time it bothered me is when the doctor made the negative comment on her chart.

As for that difference in her weight - it could have been that she didn't get much to eat right before you weighed her. I realized that I always fed my girl right before her doctor's apt so she would be content, then once I started going back to work PT I didn't have time to feed her right away - there's 4-6 oz right there. Also - my SIL has 5 boys, one of whom was a little early and she requested the same scale at each visit because of the variance.

FYI - I plan on breastfeeding for at least a year, if my body can keep up, because it's a baby's primary source of nutrition, and it's so healthy for them. I'm worried about drying up, but try to get up at least once a night to pump, as well as when my girl is napping.

Hope this helps! Feel free to msg me if you have more questions.

Last edited by karlitacat; 06-09-2008 at 01:51 PM.
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First of all heres a :hugs I can understand how crazy this can make a mama!!!! You're concerned about it so that is the first step... but I'm not sure you 'should' be. I think if the doc is telling you things are fine, I'd listen to him over family and strangers anyday - ESPECAILLY if your gut says she's fine too.

Now - what was her lowest weight???? that is really the weight you want to start calculating at??

Were you and/or hubby on the 'smaller' side when you were young? Remember small does not equate unhealthy - but many well meaning people like to make moms think babys should be ROTUND - to which I always ask "when does fat stop being cute - cuz no one squeeses the rolls on my belly and giggles with pleasure"

Last edited by moonphishers; 06-09-2008 at 01:42 PM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here are some link you may find helpful

Encouraging weight gain

Link regarding growth charts (which she lots out just fine on )

Talks about increasing pump output
Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

Wow! Thanks so much! She has be gaining at least some weight everytime that she has been weighed other then the last time when she had lost some weight (but she had clothes on and then didn't have clothes on) I was on the smaller side when I was born...and she has been relatively in line with my other kids until they started to drink formula! DS was a 36 weeker and he was 5lbs1oz, DD#1 full term and DD#2 a few days early were 7lb and 7lb1oz, DD#4 was 4 days late and 8lb3oz and DD#5 was full term 6lb14oz

I guess hearing all of the comments is just wearing on me and my anxiety! (ppl at the daycare compare her to the other babies, both bfeed and formula feed, especially one baby that is 2 weeks younger then DD and at least 3 lbs more......) I try to tell myself that I'm sure she's fine but I was just so concerned about here weight loss.....

I guess its the plague of a good mama! Always to worry even when everything seems fine!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
lilepad
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a "slow grower" too. She has food allergies (reacting to the foods that I ate) and for a while only gained 1 oz a week at the most. She's happily been in the 5th percentile since she was about 3 months old. It used to really bother me but now that she's gaining at a steady pace I have accepted it. Now I try to usurp the "she's so little" comments by saying them myself! When someone asks how old she is or comments how "alert" and "strong" she is I say "she's a petite 9 months. Small for her age but happy & healthy". I think that that has really helped ME with it.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
MomE2MathU
Registered Users
seller

Don't let other ppls comments bother you and make you anxious. If medical professionals are telling you that she is fine then that's all you need to worry about! All babies gain at different speeds and if she is happy and thriving then I'm sure she's fine. My son wasn't gaining on breastmilk at all. He gained only two pounds in this first three months of life so we had to quit thinking there was something wrong with my milk. Now he's a 27 month old who only weighs 25 lbs. So he's still very skinny. Perhaps we didn't need to stop BFing at all back then. Keep doing what you are doing and ignore those other people. And yes, scales can be very different.
MomE2MathU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

pumping to get next days milk is hard, but do-able. I pump twice a day at work so my LO can have milk the next day, I always pump 10 oz a day, and LO averages eating about 10 oz a day, sometimes a few ounces less, sometimes a few ounces more, but it evens out that if I aim for 10 a day it's good. Either it adds to the stash, or dips into it, but evens out.

You can also try taking some marshmallow root which ups the fat content of breastmilk.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ahhhh, BTDT. I always got those comments about my first two kids "Oh, he/she's so small! My daughter's/sister's/friend's baby is younger so much bigger!!" etc. I think there are so many FF babies out there who gain more weight, more fat, more quickly, that the FF baby type is seen as the "norm" when in fact, a breastfed baby type should be the norm. Many peds still use the formula fed baby growth charts, but some use the combined WHO charts from the early 90's (I think). Ask your ped. It is a well known fact that bf & ff babies grow at different rates. BF babies grow very quickly in the first 3-4 months and then slow down a lot. FF babies grow at a consistent rate, and that is what is often seen on growth charts. Both of my kids jumped up percentile wise the first 3-4 months, and then at the 6 month checkup, had fallen down a bit, same at 9 and 12 months. Luckily, my ped looks at the baby, not the chart and has never been concerned. My ds was 18lbs at 1 year, my dd was 16.5 lbs (she did however, have low iron, which can compromise the body's ability to use the nutrients they are taking in - once we got her iron up, she gained a pound in 1 month). And FWIW, my ds (at 5) is not small (46lbs, can't remember the height, but basically in 50th percentile), and my dd (at almost 3) is about 27lbs, and on the tall side. They just had their own growth patterns - and SOMEONE has to be at the 5th percentile! And if you are concerned about her weight, keep in mind that breastmilk has more calories per ounce than any other food, so more feedings and/or increasing your supply would be my choice instead of filling her tummy w/ nutritionally void rice cereal.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

The ped was supportive of the Bfeeding and that almost made me fall out of my chair in the office....I had geared myself up to hear how she needs something else.....The ped said for us just to start very slowly with the "solids" and if she wants them good if not no big deal so that's what we have been doing.....

I have always had a bit of a low supply...I was taking more milk plus, I've tried the Mothers milk tea and have eaten a ton of oatmeal! I'll try the marshmallow root....can I get it at the organic market? I'm beginning to think that a lot of my issue is just stress...as if it is not stressful enough to work full time, have 5 kids, 3 of which are in public elem. school, 1 that just graduated from pre-k and a 5 mos old! On top of the thousands of things that you have and want to do!

THanks for all of the great advice and comforting words!