Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP?

I hope all goes well tonight! I went back to work when dd was 5.5 months. Initially, I left her three 4 oz. bottles for being away from 9-5. Two weeks later at her 6 mos visit, pedi said it wasn't enough. Prior to that she'd only had the boob and just a few bottles. Before going back, I used kellymom.com and found other calculators to figure out how much to leave her. So at pedi's suggestion we went to three 5oz bottles and one 6oz. All that to say leave 5oz. You might want to split it up as another mama suggested - maybe 3 and 2.

Also, it is my understanding you CAN add fresh milk to an already expressed bottle if it is within the same 24 hour period. HOWEVER, you want to chill the milk first. It is the warmth of the freshly expressed milk, mixing with the cold milk that can have a negative impact on the molecular structure of the milk. No microwaving as you may already know for heating the milk. That'll destroy some of the live antibodies in the milk. Also, don't shake the milk, swirl it to combine the fatty hindmilk that has risen to the top if it was chilled in the fridge. Just a warm bath over the bottle in hot water running from the faucet or heat a pot of water, REMOVE FROM HEAT, and then stick the bottle in the water to warm it up.

He will be fine. Many babies fuss with momma trying to give them a bottle, because they can smell the real deal on us, and are ok taking it from a caregiver.

My dd will be 11 mos. on Thurs and has never had a drop of formula, so pumping is definitely something I have a little experience with, LOL!

Elisa

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
Alex42106
Registered Users

Just wanted to update this by saying how it went last night. I pumped 6 oz to leave for Alex while I was gone, but apparently that wasn't enough, so next week I know to leave more than that. As for hurting, I nursed Alex right before I left from both sides, so I did pretty good. Poor Chris...... this is his first time being without me right there to make everything better. My class got out a little early and I was met by a screaming son and a frantic daddy at the front door to the building. I told him it would get easier, but I can't help but laugh....... now he knows what I go through all day every day while he is at work. Had to get that out of my system. Thank all you mommas for your advice.
Alex42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:21 AM   #13
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP? UPDATED - THANKS

Glad everyone survived! I do want to add that daddies, at least my husband, have a tendency to pop a bottle in a child's mouth when the baby is fussy. The first time I went out, I was gone for about 5 hours and he fed dd 3 bottles. Needless to say, the reason I was greeted by a fussy baby is because she was now gassy from having ingested so much food! So, 6 oz *may* be enough. I'd suggest grilling papa on how he tried to sooth ds before you decide to leave more.

Elisa
Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #14
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post

Also, it is my understanding you CAN add fresh milk to an already expressed bottle if it is within the same 24 hour period. HOWEVER, you want to chill the milk first. It is the warmth of the freshly expressed milk, mixing with the cold milk that can have a negative impact on the molecular structure of the milk. No microwaving as you may already know for heating the milk. That'll destroy some of the live antibodies in the milk. Also, don't shake the milk, swirl it to combine the fatty hindmilk that has risen to the top if it was chilled in the fridge. Just a warm bath over the bottle in hot water running from the faucet or heat a pot of water, REMOVE FROM HEAT, and then stick the bottle in the water to warm it up.

Elisa
OOOPS...You're absolutely right...(I should preview before posting)...I was thinking of adding fresh BM to chilled BM
Thanks for clarifying

I'm glad all went well...
Your hubby might find that your baby will tolerate BM straight from the fridge too...Remind him not to wait until he gets fussy either...that'll just make him more gassy
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote